The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You said youve never had any problems with flexing or anything from removing that. How do you ride?? Loads or passengers?? I ask because Ive thought of doing the same thing for my tool kit. I dont ride real hard, but I do like to play and take trips where Im fairly heavily loaded.

Was also thinking of cutting it out and making a bolt in crossmember over the top of the fuel pump.
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i weigh about 220 without gear and my wife about 140 and ride double a lot. i also ride by myself offroad in rough rocky terrain and do quite a lot of wheelies sometimes clicking up to 5th gear. no troubles i can see.
  3. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those sub frames are very stout. I did a 10,000 mile 2up tour about six years ago and we were definitely exceeding the weight limit with all our gear. The sub frame never gave us any problems. Although I did feel something flex pretty heavily when we were cruising some trails in Baja at one point, I'm not sure if it was the sub frame or the swing arm.
  4. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allright thanks. Yeah, I havent had any problems with mine either and Ive run rough roads and two track fully loaded, but I was curious how they held up without that crossmember. Be a good place to put my toolkit.
  5. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    I am looking to upgrade my rear shock on my 06 Dakar. Any opinions on the new Touratech Explore Rear Shock compared to what else is out there (Ohlins, Wilbers, etc)?
  6. Seventh

Seventh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had some free time today to take the bike apart. The short of it is I didn't find anything wrong with the harness, so I pulled the injector and am going to replace it. Here's the vid:

http://youtu.be/pownRBCozpI

Is that a standard 2004 BMW F650GS injector? It doesn't look like the one in the manual. If it's a replacement, does anyone know the make and part number?

@divimon2000, i don't seem to see the circlip, mine might have fallen off. Worse comes to worse, the sidestand switch seems disabled. Went through the visible harness and it seems okay. I pulled the injector, and it seems to have some crud in it. I haven't touched the coil yet.

@WayneC1, thanks for the instructions - checked the common chafing points, and didn't find anything. I can't seem to find the diodes, will check the manual.

@baams, thanks, that doesn't seem to be it - jiggled the wires and no GS death. I haven't taken the ignition assemble apart yet though.

@jpkailua, nope - it still dies with the gas cap open.

@everyone, appreciate the help. Will let you know if a new injector fixes things.
  7. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The injectors are standard items, BMW use Bosch and the Bosch No should be on the unit, there are cheaper aftermarket units. The 650X shares the same unit as the GS and the X runners are fitting a higher flow rate unit to improve performance with some good results. There is a thread on advrider about the tests and results

The Part No's (BMW and Bosch) for the stock unit are in this doc on page 4 http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/Diagnostics/GSECUInfo.pdf
  8. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Also check the whole lenght of the throttle cable to ensure it is running freely and not giving a false zero when starting.

Mine did when the little rubber piece on the cable between the cable sheath and the thottle housing moved on the cable and got caught on the throttle housing causing the butterfly/ air intake to stay open a couple of mm's even if the throttle was shut at the handlebar. Would run when I gave it gas, but died as soon as I let go. Easy fix, but I just stubled upon the culprit by chance though.

It's been a while since I've seen my bike, let alone taken the whole top of, but I believe this picture shows the rear of the throttle housing as it is mounted to the top rear of the engine. On top goes the rubber ring that connects the air box/ intake with the throttle body. The throttle cable comes in from the left through bracket #4. the rubber piece sits on the cable between #4 and the housing. I don't think the plastic bit where the cable attaches is actually in the drawing though and I can't find any pictures of it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0173&mospid=51605&btnr=13_0886&hg=13&fg=54

[​IMG]
  9. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sycl 4.6 battery drops right in with the anderson connector.
    No modification needed. An extension cable 8awg of about a meter is needed to reach to the new place.
    Herrhelmet is excellent seller. Fast response and willing to help me out with my enquiries.
    [​IMG]
  10. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try this- it is a BMW injector available in the USA at NAPA stores (yes, I know you're not in the US). Part number is 13559, and hopefully it cross-references.

1911fan
  11. Road Dirt

Road Dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kubiak
  12. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Could this have anything to do with the ecu switching between open loop / closed loop at a certain RPM? The only other thing I could think of would be an issue with the fuel pump...
  13. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Diodes are in the green relay looking box.
    CHeck chafing one more time behind the "L" bracket where the shock adjuster is
    If you havent, check the fuel pump wires where they connect to the top. Notoriously short causing breakage
    I wish you were closer, we could swap parts, but then again you'll have a good set of spares next time!
  14. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    you are welcome Road Dirt!
  16. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    call me crazy but im looking to lower the dakar a little and was wondering if i used a standard f650gs shock in place of my dakar shock would that be all i need or do i need the linkage too? and how much would that lower the rear? thanks in advance.
  17. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Koubalink lowering links would be a lot easier. Drop the forks an inch to match and you're done. Fast and simple. I'm doing this to Mrs1911fan's GS650 before we start riding again in the spring.

http://www.koubalink.com/bmwdakar.html

1911fan
  18. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    Price it out Kubiak. I agree, you should just be able to use a link and drop the front. "IF" you find you need more I have a std GS shock and forks (although I still think you could just drop yours the diff) and 19" front avail.
  19. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Kouba 1" lowering links I am using currently and want to switch back to stock but can't seem to find them (it's been two years, so likely they are gone...)

Care to trade?

I also have the 2" Kouba links that I used for a short time that I've not been able to sell, so you can have them for shipping cost.

Let me know.
  20. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    good idea 1911fan i will check into that!