KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  2. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Crazylegs Bob

Crazylegs Bob Tiger Tamer

Oddometer:
    I posted in the "show me yours....." thread but thought I'd repost here. This is my 01' I picked up last year and threw a couple of goodies on. I painted it up in the Red Bull theme a la Cyril Despres/ Marc Coma. Ive had lots of bikes over the years but my LC4 has to be the most useful, fun bike I have ridden. Now if it only had that sweet dual exhaust......:evil
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
  4. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride nice work mate.
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Signing in here - new ADV rider based in Toronto, Ontario. I picked up an '05 640 Adventure with some mods and plenty of scratches :)

Damn, is the engine supposed to be that noisy? It sounds like gremlins rolling around in there with mini sledge hammers...

I'll post some pictures soon.
  6. makazica

Oddometer:

The official description of an LC4 engine sound would be that somebody threw a hand full of bolts in it......:evil
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    A handful of bolts? I thought that description was exclusive to Harley Davidsons and my former Ducati open clutch.

It's so wierd...it almost sounds like rattles and banging external to the engine sometimes. Oh, and what is the average idle speed normal running temperature of these things? Mine was idling at roughly (no pun intended) 2000 rpm so I dialed it down to about 1400 rpm and it's not ideal but in my mind, I couldn't believe that 2000 was correct.

Having said all that, it's still a very capable and cool machine.
  8. makazica

Oddometer:
    Set the idle to 1600 - 1700, no more....

At 1400 I believe you can hear the decomp kicking in....
  9. Gerst

Gerst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the tribe, and constantly wondering "is that noise normal" My suggestion is to never ride with earplugs in then ride with them out, the additional noise always makes me nervous! I've got over 15,000 miles on my 07 valves are always in spec and the magnets are clean at oil changes. So I guess it's normal...
    Gerst :freaky
  10. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever been to the hardware store and heard a paint shaker:lol3?

It's not the noise you need to worry about, it's any change in the noise.

If you`re really worried, take it to a KTM shop. looks like Parker bros. might be good.
  11. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I ride with ear plugs most of the time.

First time I rode without ear plugs on the 640 I stopped about 10 times thinking the things was going to blow up!!

Seriously, they are a noisy engine. If you are worried try and find another owner and listen to his/hers. Depending on kms done, it could be getting near time to look at the cam follower bearings (you ain't heard noisy until these let go). Do a search on here for a few threads on the replacement of these.

OH, and welcome to the 640 Club. Had mine 2.5 years (2005 640 A) and love it.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    both my 525 and 640 came from Parker Bros, I've always found Dave great to deal with:D
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I happened to be at Parker Bros picking up some parts yesterday afternoon when another LC4 based bike showed up (early Duke) and what would you know...another bucket of loose bolts :) Guess the noises are quite normal. OK, I'll chalk it up as being character. The oil seaping is also bothering me a bit. I changed out the two o-rings that go on those machined "caps" on the cylinder head becuase I could see oil coming from there after rides but I'm sure there's more coming from elsewhere. I have been thinking that perhaps crankcase ventilation isn't as good as it needs to be and when I'm bussing along at 5500 rpm for periods of time, crankcase pressure builds and pushes oil out of every orifice...I'll search the forum for ideas but if you guys have any opinions/advice, I' m all ears...

Thanks again,
  14. markuska

markuska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my 03 640 Adventure. Used to be a silver one. Now, after 51000 km, she got a new colour and a some other goodies...

Greetings
    Markus

Attached Files:

15. markuska

markuska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is another one...

Attached Files:

16. markuska

markuska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and one more...

Attached Files:

17. Coho911

Coho911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whuh oh....

Put my spark Arrester back in my bike and noticed where I THOUGHT I had the NON-silenced insert in, I didn't...

So..... I swapped in the NON-Silenced and OM FG its LOUD. AHAHAHAHA !

Like a new hockey/baseball card in my spokes !

I so love this bike ! (I'll see if I can get a video or sound bite up)

KTM - Making grown men feel like kids ALL over again.

[​IMG]
  18. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    What year bike, and mileage? Mine became very rattly in the top end when the cam follower bearings failed (as someone's already mentioned, I see).

The crankcase ventilation is fine - you have a problem. Quite possibly it is the well-known cam cover leak, usually above the left exhaust port. Search the index, there's a thread. There's also a thread on what it could be if it's not that - bless Creeper!
  19. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at an '07 640 and after a short ride the engine noise is very disconserting. A lot like my wr450 only worse.
    My question are
    :
    Where can I get some bar risers that are a good 2 inches higher and put the handlebar a bit forward of the stock position? At 5'10" the cockpit is very cramped for me as I ride up on the tank like an MX bike and stand up a lot. Also this bike has a slip-on and has not been jetted. This guy has been riding this bike lean for 15,000 miles(which scares me some) and the decel popping is bad. The valves were checked at about 8,000 miles. so I figure that's a must.

Is it normal for this motor to spin up off the bottom more like a Harly than a dirtbike? At 350 lbs I figured it would be a bit of a dog but it surprised me at how the acceleration was so slow. Over say 2k rpms it started to get it done pretty good but that first 0-1500 rpms was weak. Keep in mind I've never ridden a tank like this before so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
  20. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    They can sound like a bucket of bolts, so bear that in mind. You can get bar risers like Stenhouse. He has regular risers on his site as well as this sub-mount riser.

If I still had mine, I'd be seriously thinking about an FCR carb to liven it up of the bottom. The BST is a vacuum carb, so they can be a little late in responding to your immediate needs.

[​IMG]