Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Mexico used to be very liberal on motorhomes and if you trailered something behind an RV that was OK. I wondr if t the new laws fuber those arrangements up.
  2. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure!
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    good question.

i was asked if the bike is for offroad only and if it was no permit would be needed. of course that would probably work fine for me if i was just riding around town but i wanted to be fully legal to ride it anywhere in mexico and have the proper paperwork if i got stopped. i'm know an atv would not need any paperwork nor would a scooter.
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be meeting to discuss these issues HERE this Friday/Saturday
  5. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:

We must ....and in top + 1.00 for the copies
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  6. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:

^Ok well the above charge disappear from my on line statement now it's showing this :
    [​IMG]

canceled the permit yesterday cause don't know which vehicle I'm taking next time... it was good for 6 months but...
    Expect to be refunded today or mañana :lol3
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the descrepancy between those two statements a bit concerning. Just adds fuel to my previous thought that Banjercito isn't real good at credit card business.
  8. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

Trice-

I was hoping to be able to do an extended trip to your fiesta, but it looks like my working problem will interfere with my riding again. After motoring to the Detroit Aerodrome, I need to cram myself into a giant recycled beer can, and be hurled through the air at lethal subsonic speeds, subsisting on only stale pretzels and small warm beverages given to me by surly wimmenz. All to only end up in Or-fricken-lando :bluduh

I would greatly look forward to the discussion regarding how the Mexicans make the rules in Mexico, no matter how little sense they make to the gringos to whom they are being applied.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry - same time next year. That is if we don't burn the house down this year. :rofl
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    TVIP deposit charge reversed this morning. Did leave me with a $13.00 transaction fee from
    Visa so gotta add that to the TVIP cost from now on.

The Banjercito charges to my Visa all added up, BTW. No monkey biz goin' on. Turned TVIP in
    on Tuesday pm. Charge reversed Thursday am.
  11. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

But I see you made it an ice-tea only event.

I betcha that no one has ever said "Hold my ice tea and watch this...."

Or are you Texans pretty crazy with BBQ firing?
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:

You Ohio boys never heard of tea goggles? :brow
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You lucky .... How come they haven't refund me nada? going to freak out now!:uhoh
  14. rowingdude

rowingdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'ma be getting a dual sport, the ex500 was a true POS, needed tires, carbs, chain, both sprockets.. seat.. brakes.. I told the guy it was worth (to me) less than its scrap weight and he was like "thanks :( "
  15. Colbycheese

Colbycheese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those interested in all things Mexico I found this interview with Charles Bowden really interesting and enlightening..

Charles Bowden is an author and journalist whose work has largely focused on the US/Mexico Border region. His writing has especially centered on the Mexican Drug War and Ciudad Juárez, the border city known as the epicenter of Mexican drug violence. His critically acclaimed book, Murder City: Ciudad Juárez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields, was published in 2010 by Nation Books. His latest work, edited along with Molly Molloy, is El Sicario: the Autobiography of a Mexican Assassin and was just released, also by Nation Books.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4DIrvg8RuMA" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>
  16. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the "sound alike words" we now have...drum roll please..."feisbuck"!
    It goes along with "jonron" and "donas".
    And people think it is difficult to speak Spanish. No buey.
  18. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Very thought-provoking. Friends in Queretaro are working to document the destructive effects of NAFTA on agriculture and present the data to the US gov't.

A big issue here is "unintended consequences". A strong argument for changing any policy (drugs,NAFTA) must fully represent both the current policy outcomes as well as expected new policy outcomes. This video doesn't go that far.

Social issues don't simply go away. They just get shifted around within the society. Successful change requires knowing what we're changing to as well as changing from.
  19. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:

SchizzMan you should post some pics of the dog you encounter in Mexico otherwise nobody is going to believe you., Hope you have emotionally over come the frustration of the 102F degrees ride :lol3:
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I had a great time with you in Mexico. Look forward to next time. Tyler wants to join us for a Monclova-Saltillo-Monterrey 3 day weekend after hearing about our trip.

Gotta bring back some La Picota next time! :freaky

Won't be posting the dog pix. Too disturbing for some here.

Central Texas H-D replaced the front rotors and ignition coil and fixed the loose injector connection causing the engine trouble. All done as warranty work so it was free to me. Cool, huh? :clap

They also washed the rest of the dog off the bike. :cry