Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    +1

Stock seat + Airhawk (properly inflated, meaning nearly flat!) = all day comfort, at least for me. My departed GS, even with the seat in the high position in the front and low in back, was still a nut buster, even with the Airhawk. The Duc seat is dished and has a flat area, so no problem! :clap

-SM
  2. gigeorge

gigeorge n00b

Oddometer:
    After much debate over what next bike to get, it came down to the ktm adv r and the multi touring.. I think im going to visit riders in Bristol this weekend, test ride and purchase. My only concern being i've read reports on the standard seat not being that comfortable..
  3. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    The 990ADVR is roomier than the MTS12, but the big diff is the ride quality depending on the surface. Functionally, the choice is straightforward... if frequent and serious off road journeys are on the horizon go 990ADVR, otherwise opt for the MTS12. On road, the KTM doesn't compare. Off road, the MTS12 doesn't compare.
  4. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Another point you might want to consider, the 950 / 990 Adventures are supposedly absolute horrors in high wind conditions, being amongst the most slab slided, tall and lightweight examples, of the adventure touring types.

I've spent 7 years NOT enjoying my 04 DL1000 in my prairie / Rockies region, due to it's abhorrent behaviours in said conditions. A bike's susceptibility to adverse wind conditons and vibration levels, are for me two of the biggest non-reported issues, found or denied, on the motorcycling web.

Sometimes a test ride on a windy day is to one's advantage, good luck with your choices gigeorge ! :thumb

996DL
  5. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    +1

I will add this: The KTM makes a better on-road bike than the Multi makes an off-road bike, so as sfarson says, if you intend to take the bike off-road much (I mean real off-road, not fire roads, etc....any bike will work there), get the KTM. Otherwise, the Multi is excellent for everything except single track, which it will do, but with side panels costing in excess of $600 each :eek1 , you better get some good armor for it. :gerg

6500 miles on my Mutly and still in love..... :raabia

-SM
  6. joef

joef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple and well said. To many people expect a do all be all bike. Compare this to that,I have found that I choose a bike based on what I want it to do for the riding I will do not what the general population expect it to be. I ride 90% touring/sporting and 10% off road and when I say off road its a fire break or a dirt road that has been graded.
  7. 690rider

690rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My feet don't reach the ground on the stock seat. They both do with the PP seat.
  8. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The comfort feels the same, maybe the PP is a bit better. Since I have a 35in inseam I really didnt check the reach to the ground. It does feel like my knees are a tad more bent so your observations are probably correct.
  9. 690rider

690rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are totally right about these seats being incredibly comfortable. I've done numerous trips featuring multiple 12+ hour days now. Not once has my seat, or my bike's seat, ever even crossed my mind during those trips. Best seat I've ever encountered.

Cheers!
  10. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best stock seat I've ever encounter. I have no interest in sn aftermarket seat.
  11. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best stock seat I've ever had was on my Aprilia Futura. The stocker on the MTS1200 is easily the 2nd after that in my rankings.

12. Easty

Easty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i like it also.. I have the PP bike.. I did 11hrs on it first day bringing it home.. Its narrow at the front which is good for rolling round when your leaning off and wide at the back.. I also like the way I'm sat against the rear seat.. stops me sliding back when I use the power without holding on as I should be.
  13. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "best stock seat" title goes to my '06 Buell Ulysses. Hands down. However, the MTS12000 stock seat is a not-too-distant second. Definitely a good one.

--Doc
  14. SayItAintSo

SayItAintSo Wanna be

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%, the seat on my '06 Uly was just about perfect, not too firm, not too soft, not too wide, not too narrow....just right (I feel like Goldilocks saying that). Sometimes I wish I could slide my butt back a little more than I'm able to my Multistrada. I understand why they pillion seat is higher than the rider's seat and it gives some nice lower back support but it would be nice to have a little more wiggle room after several hours in the saddle.
  15. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23950320?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" webkitallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="225" width="400"></iframe>

Looks like a good video by the funny guys at Moto Journal. I don't understand a word but still.....:D
  16. Bryn1203

Bryn1203 Dances with spaniels

Oddometer:
    I ride a 08 Uly now & am looking to get a MS12 one of these days. Tried a MS out about a year ago and found the seat very restrictive after the Uly. I like to move around quite a bit, shift weight - according to corners and acceleration - and found the MS seat locked me down.

Is there a seat that fixes this yet - Hypermotard stylee ?
  17. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ not that i know of, the Ducati models all have that pseudo bump stop behind the rider's rear. have you checked the aftermarket suppliers?
  18. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    presumably the 2012 MS will have a re-designed rear seat to address the problem of being "locked in".
  19. 690rider

690rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride to Seattle today. I stopped by AltRider for a visit. What a great group of people! They installed oil cooler and radiator guards on my MTS, while I waited. They look great! A couple of high quality really nice additions to the bike!

Thanks AltRider!
  20. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

That is the official line, apparently. From Ducati News Today (and obviously based on factory press info):

"The Multistrada 1200 S Touring will also be offered in a brand new “race titanium matte” color scheme with a “racing black” frame, arriving in dealerships December, 2011. All 2012 models will have a revised, comfort-enhanced rider’s seat with an increased front and rear length ..."