950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. 900rider

900rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. I've been doing the same and plan to continue doing so.

Nice to read some confirmation it won't self destruct if car oil touches it :rofl

Im at a hair under 16,000 on my 07 SMR and it's been treating me fairly well. Most of my trouble has been carb or battery related. Or fuel pump :D
  2. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon

The fellas at your shop aren't as networked as you are. Don't worry, they would run Mobil1, too, if they hung out with cool guys like us!:freaky

Edit to add:
    Rotella for me
  3. BuckMoto

BuckMoto Adventure Napping

Oddometer:
    This was on trail 717 west of Westcreek. Had to turn around at a tangled off-camber root section a little ways further. Here's another pic on a nearby ridge.
    [​IMG]
    I'm working with a spotty iPhone connection, so the pic may not post...
  4. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Other possible hard starting issues:

When my battery was heading south and it was harder to start the bike, once a new one was installed, it would fire right up.

I had an issue with the carbs (previous to them being out of sync) The rear carb would work its way off the intake a bit so that I was not getting a good seal. I make sure to occasionally open up the airbox and see that the carbs are seated all the way. I think the vibes on the bike will make them work themselves off over time.

These bikes are extremely sensitive to vacuum leaks. I now run the SAS block off plates, but previously one of the caps had fallen off the remaining plumbing and caused some running issues till it was plugged back up. ( My cannister and most of the plumbing was removed the first month or two I had the bike.)
  5. geoffh

geoffh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working on it, almost 26k now!
  6. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I just got back from a 200 mile day ride -- first one on my new-to-me SMR!

Regarding fuel economy: My last fill-up of the day was 37 mpg. So, that's good.

Bike handled fantastically, and ate up all the twisty roads I threw at it. Suspension is really excellent. It's a bit undersprung for my size, but the damping is spot-on.

Only problem I had -- and it was a doozy: 20 miles from home I stopped to fuel up. When I tried to start the bike, I had a very hard time. It wouldn't idle without the choke, and was back-firing a bit. It sounded like it was running on only one cylinder. In order to get home, I exited the highway has station with te choke half open, and closed it only when I got up to highway speeds. At speed it seemed ok. Btw, this was at about 11:30 pm, so I was a bit freaked out.

Btw, the headlights are really outstanding. :lol3

Any thoughts?
  7. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's just awesome.
  8. samppa2005

samppa2005 Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's a fantastic picture! Makes me jealous :D Riding season is just about over here and i don't have the time to ride anyway. Maybe next year i'll have more time. Or i'll put in some studs for the TKCs and ride in the winter :D How many miles have you got on those already and how does the wear look like? Mine are about half way worn but someone said they stop wearing fast at that point.
  9. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like mine when I let the fuel get old w/o treating it, but it happened at initial startup, not after running for hours.
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds very familiar- gas is filled all the way to the neck of the tank where some of it runs off into the charcoal canister system. This backs up the carb vents and the bike cant run right. Carried to conclusion the battery drains as you try to crank it and given less power the starter breaks. This of course only applies if you're bike has not had canisterectomy, which is not hard to do following directions. You dont need to do the sas part.
    http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmons/ktm/SAS-Canister-Removal.htm
  11. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can had been removed, though I did overfill it a bit.

(Edit: I didn't really mean to make my message all angry-icon! I'm not really upset. I just have fat thumbs. :D)
  12. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    My bike seems very susceptible to old fuel making it run on one cylinder at idle. A jet kit is going in pretty soon, I've already got it, just have to do it, but even my old YZ450F was very sensitive about how old the gas was, if it sat for a month, it would goober up the pilot jet pretty bad.
  13. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
  14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Really? I just ordered a new one 2 weeks ago. Picked it up the other day. Left over stock maybe? Or theycrave a superseded P#?

Either way, they're a pricey bag. Getting a used one is great.
  15. karviet

karviet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, do you Know where i can rent an adventure for a week or more ? Tank you for your answer.
  16. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contact Ben at HouseofMotorrad.com....located in Boulder, fly into Denver, he brings the bike to you then picks them up at your hotel and you fly out. Simple. He keeps his bikes in good shape.

He will be moving his bikes to Arizona for the Winter rental season in a couple of weeks.
  17. karviet

karviet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you for this first answer.QUOTE=KHVol;19772320]Contact Ben at HouseofMotorrad.com....located in Boulder, fly into Denver, he brings the bike to you then picks them up at your hotel and you fly out. Simple. He keeps his bikes in good shape.

He will be moving his bikes to Arizona for the Winter rental season in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]
  18. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:

Dubbleju motorcycles in sanfrancisco. They are awesome and some great riding any way you go.
  19. rellim_63

rellim_63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi there. i have a 2011 smr and was wondering if there was somewhere i could get some graphics for the left side tank cover. I was going down a gravel road and a guy was sitting half in his driveway and and in the road. next thing you know im on the ground.
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Try KTM-Parts.com and KTMTwins.com