Newbie Trials Day

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motojunky, Feb 25, 2013.

1. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    At our Tri-State Trialers event last fall there were several spectators who expressed interest in trials riding. I've already successfully corrupted one of them - he purchased a nice 315r in late fall and has gotten a couple of rides in so far. Two other riders weren't quite ready to run out and buy bikes so our club president decided to act on their potential interest by lining up two loaner bikes and inviting them out for a day of riding. We figured it would make sense to invite some of the other local(ish) new riders and make a "newbie trials day" out of it. We had seven riders total - the two aforementioned newbies, three riders with limited experience and our club president and myself as the "experienced riders."

We started out with basics in a large grass field and moved on to various sections to focus on different skills. Turns, small wheelies, up and down hills, rocks, stream crossing, logs, etc. We ended by recreating the beginner line from a section in our last event and everyone riding that a few times. All riders managed at least one clean. Conditions were slick, but we managed to find mostly solid ground for the day.

The day ended with no crashes, no bike issues and all smiles, so I'm calling it a success. It seems as though the seed has been planted and I would not be surprised to see the two newbies purchase trials bikes this season. The other newer riders appeared to have fun also and seemed to benefit from some focused practice.

I recently added a LifeProof handlebar mount to my bike so that I'd have my iPhone readily available to take pictures. Turns out, that doesn't help. I still forgot to take pictures until the very end of the day.

If anyone reading this is local (Wilmington, DE is more or less the center of our club membership) and would like a taste of trials, feel free to shoot me a PM. First hit is free! :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics! Looks like fun.
  3. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I would agree quite the success, I look forward to showing people the fun of trials myself. (Helps to have a wife and daughter that do it with me, so depending if the wife isn't riding I have a buddy bike to share. :D )
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Sorry to have missed this...

When you are ready for some more laughs at my expense I should be in for the next one.:D
  5. motojunky

Oddometer:
    Anytime Wayne! We'd never laugh at you.

With you maybe, but not at you. :lol3
  6. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to look at the pics again, as a newbie it looks like fun to me haha.

Since we are on the subject...I don't mind people laughing at me when I ride, I am usually laughing at myself anyway :D.
  7. motojunky

Oddometer:
    I think that being able to laugh at yourself is a valuable skill for trials. If I couldn't, I'd have quit trials the first day. It's remarkable how often I make myself look silly. :D
  8. wb22rules

wb22rules Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun, I ought to plan my next trip to visit relatives in OC when you guys are having an event :evil
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Well it isn't a pile of guys but I am taking a new Trials buddy out riding this weekend (weather permitting). And it sounds like he has a friend that would like to go as well but doesn't have a trials bike.

My wife will be out of town next weekend when his friend can make it so it sounds like I will be able to use her bike that weekend as a loaner bike if he can make it.

Wish me luck... I am sure it will be fine as long as I don't get the wifes bike broken. :D
  10. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Take if from a guy who's family has at nothing else, gave 100's of people their first ride on a trials bike.

1 Make sure bike is pointed away from anything solid or valuable. when they are standing up, they'll twist the throttle, Instantly it can go downhill from there.

90% of riders are used to 1, setting down, 2 high gear bikes that wont "throw them back" when they twist the throttle. so make dang sure they keep a finger on the clutch to save themselves, because they will "feel like they are falling backwards on first blip of throttle, which causes them to get even more throttle.

I privately bet myself how "out of control" the first "throttle blip" for anyone's first trials bike ride will be.... It is kind of fun, I think I'm 30 for 30.
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    You could be quite right, even with my wifes bike being a Gas Gas 125 it will still likly happen. Will be intresting to see what happens. (maybe I should put him on my Daughters Beta Rev-80.:rofl)

This dose give me an excues to get some hand gards for her bike as she is also a beginner and dosn't want to be replacing her levers all the time... in fact I am going to just do that this weekend.
  12. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm talking about experience, it only takes 1 time for 99 of 100 riders to "get over it". I guarantee you EveRYONE's first try and 1st twist while standing up, their face looks like this :eek1

you know, We kind of see the same thing, when people get into a pickup we had, that has that "granny" first gear... you just touch the throttle with any engine while in granny 1st, the truck freaking lurches.

Our trials bikes are geared this way, so being aware, and telling your test rider what is going to happen, and how to save themselves, saves silly crashes...

Just sayin....
  13. Mars Sentinel

Mars Sentinel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What were you guys thinking? I mean - wearing jeans and work boots? COMe ON. You'll never be any good unless you buy some flashy and expensive gear. And what's with the "vintage" bikes? Not supporting the economy? How can you have any fun without the latest gadgets and bling? Shameless - but FUN! Heh.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I was like :eek1 on my first stand up ride on a low geared trail bike, not as bad on the trials bike because I got the talk from a friend, so.. yes I will be giving him the this is what will happen talk. LOL