ATTN Coos Bay, Roseburg, Coquille, Bandon riders....

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by DaFoole, Dec 24, 2013.

1. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's a tough place to live bro,,always has been,,boom and heyday with the big trees was winding down long ago.
    Coos Bay was at one time the largest exporter of logs in the world!
    Bye bye jobs!
    You cut the big trees and make the big money, then,,wait for ?????,,how long did it take for them big trees to grow?? who cares!,, we got ours!

I have : cleared brush by hand and machine,
    ,planted trees,
    cut down trees,
    set chokers on trees,
    built fire trails around treeless logged scabs on the hillside,
    then,

most of my machinist/welding exist-trance is based in wood products industry,,after 16 years here,, I am nearly as slow as I was when I started out,,it ain't you,,it's the sucky fucks you want to blame,,any frikken bunch of them.
    what you don't see,, because you don't have the history,, is the changes in the creeks and rivers since the trees lived there. It was HUGELY different in 1960's even,,de-nuded, raped, and abandoned since then,,Whorehauser,,International Raper, and the rest, made it .
    When I was 10,,there were cedar trees in the coast range so big that they were almost scary,,,to a 10 yr old!
    this is one of the hunfreds of stupid responses I have frikken deleted,,more killed than posted,, fuck it, post it,,only one beer left anyway!
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    We have two areas very near us that still have what appears to be old growth stands, that are currently officially unprotected. It would also appear that somebody that makes decisions in the FS knows this, because there has been lots of logging smack up next to the big area on second growth stuff. When I checked online, I was relieved to see these sections were not part of any current lumber sale.

They are small sections, probly too small to justify "wilderness" classification, but it would be nice to know they could never be cut by an agency that needs $. I'm certainly not at all against logging done right, but I sure hope these small stands of OG are here forever. Damn beautiful trees. The biggest one is accessible to view from one of our many one-lane sweet forest pavers.
  3. BlueSmokeWrench

BlueSmokeWrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have LOTS of relatives within 20 miles of you. All of them are retired. I would live in the area in a nanosecond... If I could make a living.

Seems like down there, (been going several times a year for about 20 years) the only folks who seem to get by well are working for the government in some capacity.

Schools, forestry with the US govt. county and city. And my brother found enough money with a waste mgmt. company to make do.

I feel for you on the job front.

Next time I'm in town (Myrtle Point) a night of debauchery is on me. I'll PM you before my next trip.
  4. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I picked up a gig working at an auto shop between Coos Bay and North Bend. 70 mile round trip commute, but it's something goddamnit. I don't start for another week, so I'm still going to keep my ear to the rail, but I don't expect to hear anything else coming.

Nice weather we're having today, eh?
  5. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    :nod

Date TBD....work schedule blows right now... Hopefully June/July-ish Might be as late as September. Wrangling some days off....

(Just don't tell Peterman and Road Rash.......):evil

:lol3

:freaky
  6. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    And they gave the position to someone else. Goddamnit.
  7. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Hey Parepin, Oregon treating you any better?
  8. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Finally got a gig that looks like it will work out, after nearly half a dozen false starts. All it took was carpet bombing the county in resumes and a handful of harassment suits / restraining orders. Workin at a mill, now. I'll probably still be on edge until I've got a few weeks under my belt, but it's a step in the right direction.

Holy hell that was one intense dry spell.

So... Uhh... What're YOU up to?
  9. el guapo nada

el guapo nada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

This is excellent news!!
  10. beemerron

beemerron thoroughly screwed

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  11. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    Gonna have weekends off? Fools campout in April?
  12. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    I would REALLY like to see this happen. I've actually been rationing my bike's last few hundred miles for this. Though I don't know how official, or how much notice I'll be able to provide. True to my nature, I may just end up crashing the rally like a teenager at the neighborhood party.
  13. tblume

Oddometer:
    If you promise to keep posting on the root beer run thread, and involve some Fucking root beer from time to time; I got your fuel home.:deal
  14. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Meh, that's pretty much how we all do it.

Congrats on the employment...hope it sticks!

New jobs are tough on time-off, if ya can swing it, it'll be a good time, first drink(s) on me! If not, I may just swing by and say hi on way back north.
  15. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hah, awesome. While I appreciate the offer, it shouldn't be necessary. The gas money isn't the issue, it's moreso that my KLR seems to be in a constant state of "Uh oh, here we go. Aaaahhhhh I'M GONNA GRENADE!!! Lol, j/k"

And believe it or not, the tales shall continue... eventually.

It SHOULD stick. I actually feel good about this one, and seem to fit in very well. Plus, on fridays I get off at 10 AM, which makes for a good long weekend. And while I haven't checked the April Fools Dates, usually these things are on a Fri-Sat-Sun kind of deal.
  16. tblume

Oddometer:
    Yep, the 11th 12th and 13th.