The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It depends on how you are using it and what you are using it on. I am not going to put a $100 scope on my .50 BMG rifle for several reasons:

1) I think it would fall apart in short order from the recoil.

2) At the longer ranges is where the quality of a high priced scope will start to show a difference.

3) Very few variable scopes go up to 40+X magnification.

On some guns recoil is an issue and cheap scopes tend to fall apart. Other times the sealing of the scope is done poorly and you get moisture inside the scope. If I were on a high priced hunt in Alaska or Africa I wouldn't want the hunt to be ruined because my scope got foggy inside or it wouldn't hold zero.

That said, today's inexpensive scopes are often as good or better than premium scopes of 3 or 4 decades ago.
  2. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind that the original hammer has a safety position that would require shearing the sear or bending the hammer to get the firing pin to strike a primer.

I have my dad's un-modded Blackhawk in .30 carbine. It has the finest trigger I've ever pulled on a handgun. I'm not interested in letting Ruger mess that up.
  3. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I know that people do hunt (especially elk) with the .50BMG, but I don't think that's what he's talking about. :lol3

I get the <$200 Leupolds now. Same warranty as the high-dollar stuff. They work just as good as my 14x Nikon, and I can see great as far out as I can shoot accurately with a 3-9x40. I had a Bushnell that would creep badly (8" @50 in 10 rounds) on my 17HMR so I stopped using the cheapo scopes.
  4. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Why in the hell would I want to do all that? A hole in paper is just that. If I can drop a yote at 250 it really does not matter to me. Once I have a scope were I want it It stays on the gun.
  5. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    The step click method will identify the better quality horizontal and vertical controls. I have done this with my scopes. The Tru-Glos will have some slop when moving from one aim point to another and back, but once it is sighted in it will stay on the same POI just fine. All I am concerned with usually is getting zeroed on one standard USBR target circle and getting a good group. My shooting is about getting the most out of my Savage .308 and my handloads. My wife can put three shots in less than .25" when things are working right on the rifle (I am more impatient with trigger pull than she is). The big challenge on the Savage is cleaning the barrel often and getting the harmonics of the barrel under control.
  6. lagcam

lagcam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 'box' test. I'm pretty sure my china special will not pass the box test, but I don't really need it to. I can see the benchrest guys or even long range hunters needing that, along with the better optics. Mine is a 4-16x scope, but past about 12x it starts to get tunnel vision and the eye relief shortens up. I'm pretty much stuck at 200-300 yards max with the 22-250 here in Iowa anyway. Any farther than that here has you shooting over roads or at a farmhouse.
    It holds zero and there's not much recoil from the two-fiddy to tear it up, so it will work for now!
  7. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My point is that for most folks, like yourself, the cheap scopes work just fine because once you sight the scope it doesn't change.

The high power matches used to only allow open sights and good open sights aren't cheap since you'll have different elevation settings for the 200, 300, and 600 yard courses of fire. Many of the matches are now allowing folks to use scopes because some people are no longer capable of using open sights, but still wish to compete. These scopes need to be able to change elevation settings repeatably. Then there's the military and police who need to be able to determine a distance and adjust their scope based on previous knowledge. I know the mil-dot reticle comes into play, but it's not the only answer.
  8. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was good enough to help me decide whether or not I want continue loading. After loading about 100 rounds with the Rock Chucker I'm pretty sure I won't play with the Lyman much now :lol3
  9. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    because if the scope won't pass that simple test, it will come out of Zero in a few shots even if you never adjust the windage or range.
  10. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    It all depends, I have had cheap scopes that never have one problem with rezeroing, and expensive ones that would not re zero worth a shit.. The one biggest thing one USUALLY notices as a difference in a cheap and expensive scope is the clarity, and low light ability of an expensive scope over a cheap one.However, some cheap scopes are now so close to more expensive ones people usually have to spend a grand or more on a scope to notice the difference.
  11. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 10 year old nephew's first time shooting my AR Pistol. He was doing great, shooting down clays at 50 and 100 yds. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pasfHW7uzLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sample size is small, but that's been my experience. I've got a couple of cheap scopes (<$100) and what to me is a nice Bushnell 4200 that cost me about $450. I've not noticed much difference in the optics, at least not $300+ worth, but the ability to return to zero is possible on my Bushnell and not possible on my other scopes.
  13. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I went to a gun show today and completely forget to buy beef jerky before I left. I guess I was excited to get this home. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone help me out. It's a No 1 mk 3* made in Australia, correct? There were a handful of others in various conditions, but I liked this one with the funky muzzle cap/bayonet lug.

I also saw an $1100.00 SKS today. :huh
    1/2 Brit likes this.
  14. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I've seen 3 screw guns that were dropped and landed on the hammer spur and broke out the "safety" notch. It would have fired had there been a round in that chamber. I never carry with 6 rounds in the gun, but suit yourself and do what you want.
  15. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't saying don't leave an empty chamber, I was just pointing out that there is a hammer block of sorts built into the original trigger group.
  16. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ricochet at :42 sounds kinda close. :eek1
  17. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ground was pretty hard, the ricochet actually went down range (a few hundred square miles of nothing),
  18. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the buffer tube on an AR pistol can almost be used as a buttstock, but not quite. The ATF has no problems with that?

Is the buffer tuber permanently attached? Or could it be replaced with a buttstock if we didn't have such silly laws?
  19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    The best I can find I that it shouldn't get you in trouble because the buffer tube is a necessary part in order for the pistol to function, but is not intended for use as a buttstock.
  20. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up an LC9 at the show today, really liking the way it feels in my hand and the way it carries, but gotta shoot it.