Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine. :lol3
  2. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I usually lay the old & new chains alongside each other on the bench, saves counting.

Of course this doesn't quite work if you have decided to run some different gearing for a change & the chain needs to be a different length :lol3

Clint
  3. Shoganai

Shoganai Let's do some livin'

Oddometer:
    Note to self...

When applying clear protective film on the fuel tank, remember you'll need to fill it at some point so cut out the part where the fuel goes in before attempting to add fuel at the gas station.

[​IMG]

:shog
  4. R_Rick

R_Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note to self:

Putting the heat shrink tube on the wire before soldering the final splice saves from having to solder twice. :eek1
  5. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    :rofl

+1 :wink:
  6. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    Yup. And push it back out of the way far enough so that it doesn't shrink in place where it happens to be sitting from the heat of soldering.
  7. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    And if you only had to do this 87 times before the lesson sunk in, you are way better'n me. When they make a material that I can paint on after I do the solder and immediately dry&shrink for this application, I will buy it by the gallon. Carp! It's a wonder that I ever learned to tie my shoes?!
  8. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  9. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I recall seeing heat shrink tape a very long time ago, but I never got any.
    And sorry, I have no idea where this was. It was a very long time ago as in pre-internet.
  10. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
  11. TedR

TedR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you have your bike up on a lift table, prepping it for a fast-approaching track-day...and you want everything just right...resist the urge to hurry and cut the easy corners.
    Take the extra few minutes to strap the bike down securely to the lift table. Especially if the centerstand has been removed, and the bike is resting on its sidestand. :eek1

Had an...erm...'shop incident' this morning.
    Came away with amazingly light cosmetic damage. Could have been faaaaar worse...

Lesson learned.

12. FixerDave

FixerDave KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer:
    After 10 minutes of cursing while trying to put the brake pads back in the caliper, something you've easily done at least as half-dozen times, and then wasting another 10 minutes breaking out the shop manual to verify that, yes, the stupid spring clip does really go there, and then another 10 minutes to verify that, no, it can't go in the other way so it's not backwards, and sitting there thinking for yet another 10 minutes...

well, maybe you might want to see if you're trying to put said stupid spring clip in... not backwards, but upside-down.

sigh... I can't believe I did that. Well, doing that is not unusual. Wasting that much time to figure it out is a little out of the ordinary for me, so far. Some days are just not meant to be shop-days.

David...
  13. fmartin

fmartin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Bike with no center stand (Kawi ER-6n), dropped from about 1.2 meters... came out with nothing but a broken footpeg, twisted handlebar and a little dent on fuel tank. Already replaced footpeg and handlebar, but that dent still makes me want to cry everytime I refuel.
    Lesson learned, the hard way.
  14. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't knock the sledgehammer off of the table saw and have it land on your little toe like I did last evening. DOH!

(At least I had hiking boots on so it wasn't as painful as it could've been.)
  15. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all batteries have the poles aligned the same way. Good thing the gas station wasn't too far away, and carried flat 30 amp fuses. Only took four of them to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong... Real note to self: check that fuse between your shoulders first next time... :bluduh
  16. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Do not (age 18) reassemble your carb with the slide backwards and wide F open then decide to bump start it down a parking garage ramp ending at a brick wall and 90 deg turn.
    For some reason I changed my mind and bump started it on the flat floor heading towards a parked cadillac.
    Barely managed to turn the key off as I laid it down and slid under the rear end. Still thinking about that brick wall........
  17. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note to self: stop laying my Zumo 665 on the mud room table when I get home, the same table where the cat food bowls are. Apparently the cats did not like the new Friskies I gave them this morning because they both vomited, one on each side of the Zumo.

I don't think Garmin is going to warranty a defective product due to cat vomit.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  18. F16Viper68

F16Viper68 Trapped in the Sandbox! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When Super Gluing something on your bike, when you're alone at home, ENSURE you have the necessary tools, within arms reach, to detach the part have so idiotically Super Glued yourself to or have a supply of acetone within arms reach. :lol3

Earlier today I was walking about the house a Madstad windscreen bracket attached to my pointing finger, looking for nail polish remover. :rofl

Dave...
  19. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    When clearing out the cupboards before moving out of a house, do not pour the big container of Stove Top Stuffing into the disposal and sink and then turn the water on. (I had to remove the disposal and created a big mess on the floor.)
  20. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    WTF? ThatÂ’s what garbage cans are for.