The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    What!?

You're missing out on the best part of owning a firearm!!!!
  2. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    heres a bad shot of my newest rifle a gew88 . its 8 x 57 and pre-dates WW 1 .the prussians used them in1891[​IMG]
  3. RogueClimber

RogueClimber Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:clap
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm drooling here. What's the manufacture date?
  5. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
  6. Oddbawl

Oddbawl Born Ok the first time.

Oddometer:
    Hee. Had me new Pedersoli Rolling Block out yesterday for a run with the Soule sight. My first three rounds at 100m, the fourth there as I walked it up the gong. Hand rolled 405 grain 45-70... I'm amazed a home madey WW cast lead boolit puts a 1/16th crater in steel @100m...
    I dig these old timey boomsticks!
    [​IMG]
  7. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An AK may not be a tack driver, but you can drive nails with the action, literally, and it will still shoot afterwards. In the role of a self-defense rifle that counts for a lot with me. I am not too upset that at 300 meters I may not get 3 inch groups, but rather something more like 6 inch groups - because I know that the rifle will go "bang!" every time regardless of rough treatment and abuse.

The 'accuracy' of the AK is "good enough" for its purpose and nothing really approaches it for dependability. When I want to shoot beyond 300 meters, with precision, with a self-defense rifle, it won't be anything chambered in 5.56x45 or 7.62x39, it will be something in 7.62x51. Something like this:

[​IMG]

With a Scout Scope on it.
  8. VTSteve

VTSteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's art!
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Any options on grips for a sig pro2009, the stock grips are a touch to big for me and would feel more comfortable with something a tad smaller. Have a gun store nearby but any aftermarket stuff to look at or stay away from?
    :ear
  10. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    1891 spandau is on the reciever, it also has a few turkish moon & stars on it. if only it could talk
    [​IMG]
  11. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    I want me a Savage 24 in .30-06 and 12 Ga.
  12. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Remove grips.

Replace with duct tape.

You're welcome.
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rifle you have pictured looks to me like a CETME....that would be another thing to look at....I have been looking for a good one for about 6 months or so....I hear some iffy things about the centruy rifles.
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

Looks like an HK 90-something. :scratch
  15. Oddbawl

Oddbawl Born Ok the first time.

Oddometer:
    Did they make them that big? I've played with a .30-30 over 20 ga. I've had a few 24s, and even the 22/20s can get heavy. A 3006/12 would be one heavy beast! I sorely regret trading my 24c .22/20ga. Been trying to track another down.
  16. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are about the same as an HK G3. Gotta remember how the spanish where viewed during the franco years. IIRC it was designed by a german after the war, when no one wanted to talk to spain.
  17. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Ummm, isn't that rifle in the picture an FN-FAL? Or part of the FN family at least? Definitely not an HK/G3/CETME relative unless I'm going blind.
  18. HardCase

Oddometer:
    That's some great shooting, Oddbawl. The three shot group looks to be about .5 MOA, and that's something else with iron sights.....hell, that's even damned good with a scope! :thumb

Say, which front aperture did you choose. I have a number of them to choose for with mine and have always preferred the cross-hair with the open circle in the center. I'm going to get out with mine this weekend.
  19. CurtOKC

CurtOKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently went shooting with my kids and grandkids and made a disturbing discovery. my degenenerative spinal disorder is continuing its work. And I will be switching over to a 223 as my new maximum for centerfire rifles and 410 for shotguns. With pistols I am still able to comfortably handle my 45 auto GM.
  20. HardCase

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your health issues. I have some tendinitis in my right shoulder, and maybe a couple of minor rotator cuff tears to boot, and cannot tolerate as much rifle/shotgun recoil as I could at one time, although my issues are nowhere near approaching what you are facing. I can still shoot a round of trap or sporting clays with a 12 gauge, and shoot rifles in the 308/30-06/45-70 recoil level with no ill effects, but am no longer able to tolerate stuff like the 375H&H, 338 Win Mag, or bigger. Handguns, on the other hand, I can shoot all day. My favorite ones are the 45ACP, 357 Magnum, 44 Mag, and 500 S&W Mag. Nice having those elbows for shock absorbers, and also nice not having a stock slap you in the face while it punches you in the shoulder!!

A friend of mine, older gent (roughly 70), has arthritis and wrist issues. He used to be a hard-core IPSC competitor and shot thousands of rounds of 45ACP every year. Now he only shoots .22LR, period. We get together for "civilized 22 shoots" periodically. Nothing wrong with shooting a .22!! :freaky