New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    Too much criticism. The CT is actually a good bike. As someone else said before, the design is quite "boring" but in general is a confortable touring bike. Real contender for the BMW GS, with the advantage of the price and the reliability.
    I'm seriously considering this bike ($21.900 with automatic shift... "plus" $1200 for the Akrapovic. First thing to upgrade).
    On the other hand, BMW 2012 models are very tempting. $27.000 for the GS A triple black... (Probably a little less than that)
    But 2013 models are coming soon and completely redesigned.. I guess that will make the price drop more when time for for upgrade comes.
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, and a good price, if you don't want too much dirt, which is not a criticism. I think it has been too much under the radar, especially in OZ.

Time will tell though, I was talking more to those who lament Honda not making Africa Twin style bikes.

Of course 450cc is not enough these days, but really if you want really dirty it is.
  3. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw one of the new CRF's at my local Honda shop. Don't know the first thing about it - but it looked bloody lovely!
    I reckon the Xtour will be a bit like the Super Ten. It'll take some time - but in the end it'll win it's share of the market.
  4. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

For anybody interested... Just retured (eh, currently still on the ferry from the UK to The Netherlands) from a pre-visit to Wales where the next International Crosstourer & Varadero meeting will be held.

The venue and location is really out of this World... Its simply GREAT.

Next May 2013 you really don't wanna miss this meeting. Expect registration to start soon at:
    www.crosstourer-international.com
  5. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    signing up for one tomorrow, looking forward to it
  6. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice one. They are rare beasts over here, but like i say, give it time..
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb looking forward to seeing some out on the road.

I mean I saw a dirty GS on Sunday, so things are looking up.
  8. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    BiKE magazine gave it very high praise (rated it over the Triumph too). I wish I could try one its the first Honda in years that's got my attention.
  9. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    picking up a white demo (90kms - 25 of them mine) errrr, tomorrow

mrs hates me

stndard box and std everything else

i'll be taking the long way home :clap
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your impressions, reviews are far and few between.
  11. Mugatu

Mugatu Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please post extensivly about your impressions, and lots of pictures please !!! :ear

Might be the one to replace my crushed S10, but so far I think I just saw one in my area (delivery man who used to be on a Deauville, strangely).
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    What issue was that? Just looked on Bike's website, unbelievably they don't offer digital subscriptions for overseas customers... :norton
  13. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to tell you this, but when testing a multistrada last weekend there was a demo CT with DCT I walked right passed it. After my test I went back and looked at it and sat on it again. The ride position is just so different from all the other bikes in this class. Doesn't suit me but others will like it I'm sure. But I guess my point is that I'm at a stage where I don't want to just walk past my bike in the garage and not notice it. Sure it might be great at what it's designed for or average even but it needs to shutout to me to go ride.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I was also a bit underwhelmed by the Crosstourer's looks but I wouldn't write it off before trying it. And I wouldn't buy a Duc on principle alone — the principle that I want turn-key reliability/low maintenance. :rofl
  15. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may have a point, but I've never owned either Honda or Ducati. The shaft drive is a huge plus on the Honda though for sure
  16. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a used black DCT popped up near me. Fairly well specced up too. Akra can and heated grips.. Might go and have a look next week if i get chance.
  17. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    September - has a Tiger and GS on the cover.

As for Ducati reliability thing, my Multi is good so far and it gets used every day but there is at least as many horror stories for Beemers and of the three I've owned and the three or four I've rented and thrashed across Europe, not one breakdown. Not even so much as a bulb has failed.

As for the X-Tourer, yep, it's a bland looking bike. But even their Sportbikes are all but forgettable. It's the Honda way.
  18. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here are some pics and some small notes of my impressions thus far
    managed to back it out of there without moving anything – grab rails and nice full steering
    [​IMG]
    dash has a bit more info with bike turned on, sorry
    [​IMG]
    lever adjust
    [​IMG]
    suspension adjust – handy to do while riding to see the difference, i’m hopeless at suspension
    [​IMG]
    even for someone mechanically challenged this all seems pretty decent – spare fuses, good sized batt
    [​IMG]
    wear marks on rear rack/hand rails – that’s just from trying some tie downs so powder coating if poss could be the order for this if straps are your thing
    [​IMG]
    yes yes, shaft drive makes me happy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    beaky but the angular nature of the bikes design seems to work – especially in the flesh
    [​IMG]
  19. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so far I have pulled back the bars half an inch and brought the levers in. Have tried the screen both up and down and off altogether, the off altogether gives clear wind into the helmet which seems easier to handle than turbulent air. First thing Monday will be an order for a larger screen.

These sort of bikes are so effortless to ride, the motor is really nice and plenty of room to move around on the seat

The traction control and abs have me going down gravel roads the three times I've ridden it. if slowly moving on the loose gravel you can pin it and it will just squirt for a half second and then it backs the power off - quite interesting.

I tested the abs on both front and rear and had it kick in both times, going downhill on gravel I was surprised how much front braking I could do before it twitched so yeah - better get some radiator protection bars before too long

coming home into a really strong wind I realised how poor that screen is, it's weird I mean you'd have to be long legged, long armed and short torso-ed to reach the ground, bars and stay under the highest setting on the screen - but anyhow

this isn't a bike to sit back and gork at, though I do look at it in-terms of what gadgets can I put on and where can I attach stuff. None of these bikes or this style do it for me aesthetically, can't see myself cleaning it too much or going out to the shed to look it - just gonna ride it

having a dealer in town was a big reason for getting one

I would suggest if you can that you ride one before making an opinion on the way they ride - some people somehow make a judgment about a bikes riding characteristics without ever taking one for a spin. and in the flesh, they are much easier to look at
  20. Revenue

Revenue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Cant agree more, i sat on one in the UK decided to take it out on a test ride, ended up walking away with the full spec Demo bike at a very cool price :evil
    Delivered the bike to James Cargo Manchester and had the bike Air freighted to Thailand, where i rode it 750km from Bangkok to Mukdahan in 7 hours only stopping for fuel and water for me, I must say i am really impressed with the bike, the standard screen is a complete waste of plastic, but today have managed to graft a MRA spoiler to the standard screen and its 2000 times better, so decided to order a full MRA x-creen with the larger spoiler from the UK
    The rainey season is coming to a end soon so will be heading into Laos and Cambodia and will post my reviews, photos and Videos as try the bike.
    Looks like i need to sort out how to post photos as well
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/j/jogtomuk_ERIC007.jpg

Eric