Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    It could just be me...but I lost the continuity of this discussion.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Most of us have the IICE Air and we are waiting to purchase the IICE Cool to compliment the Air...<o:p></o:p>
    Enter the IICE Smooth ??????<o:p></o:p>
    Will the Smooth be the other leg of the trilogy?
    <o:p></o:p>
    Will we have three devices? Each building on the one that preceded it?
    <o:p></o:p>
    I am getting a headache.<o:p></o:p>
  3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>We offer several training courses at our IICE offices. ^ ^ ^ See above.

Kidding aside, yes the Smooth is another facet. It does more than the the Cool. That is to say, it covers a larger operational range than the Cool.

The Smooth affects the whole range commonly known as Closed Loop. The Air and Cool together work on ranges that are Open Loop.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  4. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK well which comes first? the chicken or the egg
  5. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are so many benefits to running slightly richer mixtures on the 1100/1150 motorcycles: no surging, cooler exhaust and cylinder head temperatures, better idle, better acceleration, more mid-band power, cruising at lower RPMs, and the possibility of better left to right power balancing, etc.

It will be really interesting to see what you come up with and how it is installed. It would be great to have something simple that richened the mixture but maintained Closed Loop operation.
  6. BenFongTorres

BenFongTorres Banned

Oddometer:
    But not the 1200's?

The Harley guys have been doing this for ages by way of a "stage one" upgrade (better breathing air filter, richer mixture via re-jetting the carbs or adding a tuner for the FI, and freer flowing exhaust.) Is that really all we are trying to accomplish here with this "trilogy" of parts? Seems like a lot of technology and engineering to accomplish the same thing. :huh

Full disclosure...I am on the wait list for an Air unit so I am indeed preparing to drink the cool aid. I'm a hot-rodder at heart.
  7. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not involved with PS and JJ's projects but I can tell you I've added an LC-1 Wideband O2 controller to my 04 RT, as some Harley riders have. It is straightforward and fixes a host of issues with the Boxers.
  8. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    This is news to me. So will the Smooth be available ahead of the Cool?

Via Tapatalk
  9. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Just when you thought we couldn't get any more performance out of the boxer motor…

Remember back at the start when we said…

"I've been working on a series of enhancements to make the fuel injected BMW motors run smoother and better. It's (the Air) the first of a series of hot rod products and mods that I've been developing, for quite some time now."

We have been working on improvements that are easy to use and quick to install but most importantly all work together and result in performance gains that you will immediately understand as soon as you twist the throttle. Yes these mods are that significant.

They quickly and easily change the response and performance of the engine and at the same time require minimal fussing on the riders part. Because we know that these devices HAVE to be easy to install AND operate.

The IICE Air was the first of these mods we are developing which are highly refined and specifically targeted to address specific portions of the operation of the engine (see this post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18360550#post18360550).

And just like the IICE Air, these next devices are designed to the same standard for ease of use, but are even more sophisticated, so that you won’t have to deal with any comlicated details, at all.

Each of these enhancements are aimed at a different quadrant, all with the same overall goal. That of allowing the boxer fuel injection system to perform as it truly can. They are meant to work together as a set, and compliment each other by purpose and intent.

This is yet another major step towards a properly running boxer engine running under ALL operating conditions.

JJ
  10. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    OK Marketing.......................

When do we get a wiff of the Cool? :lol3 :evil
  11. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the new products might be great, but...

some of us ( me at least) are still waiting to try the initial product.

at this point, I feel like Ive waited several months for some feel good bullshit camaraderie and some loss of fuel economy.

as Cuba Gooding said, " show me the godamn product!"

I hope you have seen that movie.
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>&#8194;:lol3

I don't know, what can I say? At least we have the camaraderie while we wait, right?

I put in a couple of hours late this afternoon and maybe another hour or so later. Until then it's gonna have to be kumbaya, brother.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>I understand what you're mean there D9. There's something important to add though. If the fueling system is not designed for low emissions output, then EFI solidly trumps carburetors in every category. It's no contest.

Conversely, when fueling by either method is designed for low emissions, both EFI and carbs do an equally poor job with power and drivability. This is where we're at right now.

There is a difference though. An EFI system can be tuned for superior driveability and low emissions. Power will be down of course, but a well-designed emissions EFI system will always drive better than an emissions carburetor.

By well-designed I mean that the manufacturer took the time and spent the money to iron out all the wrinkles in the emissions-focused driveability output. That is no easy task on any bike motor. And with Independent Throttle Bodies, like on the R motor, it's nearly impossible to accomplish without a servo-controlled throttle-by-wire system.

It is an unfortunate reality that if your objective is low emissions, you can't have one without the other. Low emissions are joined at the hip say with poor driveability.

Those of us here want to refocus the objective to power output and good driveability. The most effective way to do that is to adjust and control the physical inputs to the ECU.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  14. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    PS, I will be happy to ride down and give you a hand if it would help. I have a BSEE and I have MANY hours of building cables for USN aircraft. Let me know.
  15. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Great of you to offer, 2112! That may not work so well with my present unpredictable schedule. But I tell you what I was thinking of doing is having a big install day for the next products.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  16. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    PS, I appreciate the effort you have gone through. I do not have the drive you do. I am happy to help, because I know that it makes the GS run much better!

Please let me know. I am only an hour up the road, able to help.
  17. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
  18. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Mine didn't come with pictures... in Spanish... so I wasn't able to install it yet...

Someday I'll go back through this thread to see how that other competent guy installed his... Till then I'll just have to settle for my plain old back pack... I mean FI Boxer... :lol3 :1drink

p.s. maybe the hose should come with the wet one... :rofl
  20. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Regarding installation instructions for your 1150, there's a link in the first post.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18272500#post18272500

<BR>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.