Ordering Issues

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by motocentaur, Apr 12, 2013.

1. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my latest issue (among a few others)

So I have this trip to Baja planned for tomorrow and for the last few months I have been getting my bike setup for the trip. I needed a top box and decided to go with the Touratech Zega pro, I like to support smaller companies/businesses when I can so I ordered from KTMTWINS

So March 25th (19 days before my trip) I called KTMTWINS and asked them if they had the Zega pros in stock. He said no, they need to order them from Touratech but they have them in stock so I should be able to get them in about a week. Perfect! And does it come with all the necessary hardware to mount it? Yes, they replied. All the luggage comes with any mounting brackets you will need.

So I ordered it up and about 10 days goes by and I get the topbox. No mounting hardware.

So I call them up again on April 4th (9 days before the trip). Hey I really need this mounting kit, how soon can you get it to me. If its gonna take another 10 days I have to order it directly from touratech. I'll even pay for overnight shipping if I have to I really need it before the 12th. Oh don't worry he says, it will defiantly be there before then. I'll just make a note and if I have to I'll have it send overnight to you as soon as we get it so you will have it.

So I'm waiting to hear from them and yesterday morning (2days till I leave) I get an email saying its on its way and here is the tracking number. So I give them a call and I ask about the order, and once again I express the now urgency of this shipment. The girl on the other end says don't worry you will have it the morning of the 12th (day before I leave)

I check the UPS tracking number today and guess what, not gonna be here till monday.
  2. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I've had nothing but good service from everyone I have dealt with at KTM Twins over the last fews (more?).
  3. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    KTMTwins went the extra yard to get me a pair of Klim pants that were out of stock everywhere else I checked. Sounds like the original screw-up was on Touratech's end in not including the hardware.
  4. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On KTMTwins site they list a mounting kit for sale for the luggage panniers stating that without them you would need straps to hold to boxes on. This is why I called in the first place to see it the top box cam with them. And KTMtwins said they do. After my first order I find out that they are in fact NOT included. This is not Touratechs fault, their product is stout, more than I had expected.

A mistake was made, and thats fine. People make mistakes, but when you make a promise you should stand by it and carry it out. I expressed to everyone I spoke with there about the deadline and how important it was.

And this isn't order with them, this is my 3rd KTM and have spent thousands with KTMtwins over the years
  5. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Not discounting your experience at all. I've been in your shoes and it sucks. However, KTM Twins may do something to make good, if you contact them. If the hardware was supposed to be included, it should have been in the package.

I had a number of conversations with the folks over there, and they were quite helpful and forthcoming.

It seems that many of the shipping problems are due to UPS. I often get a tracking number that promises delivery Thursday, and don't get the package until the next week. A common excuse up here is that the "package was returned to depot for reasons beyond UPS' control."

Hope you come up with an alternate solution for your trip.
  6. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Your mistake was not just ordering a Touratech part...........right from Touratech. :1drink

Lets see, you need it quick, so lets go this route:

You call middleman, your words not mine, he calls TT at some point (it's now out of your control here), then the shipment goes:
    TT----Middleman (your words not mine)---then you. On Monday now.

Or it coulda went,
    you call TT direct, instead of middleman
    Shipment goes:
    TT----you

And if your UPS delivery route is like mine, you wont have it until 6pm on Monday :puke1

Have a safe and fun trip. Post a RR
  7. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I wasn't as clear in this post about the order and dealings. I in no way spoke to UPS or any other shipping company. I spoke directly with KTMtwins over the phone and ordered from their website.

the mounting hardware is not included with the touratech cases
    -KTMtwins told me they are and not to worry

(April 4th) I received the case minus the mounting hardware so I asked KTMtwins if they could send it to me ASAP. I even paid extra for 2nd day air
    -they said yes I would have it before the 12th(today) and if needed they would upgrade my shipping to make sure I got it in time.

I checked UPS tracking this morning and its inSparks, NV and will be here monday... the 15th... 11 days after my order where I explained my urgency due to the mistake

Point being, if I would have just gone to the touratech company and ordered directly. I would not have had the "mistake" in the first place and the order would have been here at the beginning of the month.
  8. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly!!

Lesson learned for sure. It is my fault because I tried to support the middle man, and not ordering direct.
  9. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry...

just my first world problems gripe for the day
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can understand your frustration.

Overall my experience with KTM Twins has been great.

I will say this: A lot of times they advertise products that can take months to arrive because they do not have those products in stock and rely on the supplier to get them. I don't really see this as a fault of them per se, but rather the fact that they cannot afford to stock expensive parts which may or may not sell. I ordered an Ohlins shock from them for my 690, and it took months to get, but that was due to Ohlin's taking their sweet time to build the shock. So when I order stuff like that I do it knowing I may have to wait. Not the case with your stuff though which I would think is pretty common. They carry Rally Raid products, but in that case it seems easier just to order stuff directly from Rally Raid in the UK as it usually comes quicker and shipping is not that much more.

The majority of stuff I order from KTM Twins comes quickly, and if there is some problem they contact me about it. I use them for almost all my KTM orders because I have had better experiences with them than with other vendors.

Hope it works out for you. I can imagine how it must be so frustrating to have the box but not the mounts. Won't help you much for Baja.

As others have said, maybe UPS screwed up. But maybe KTM Twins could have done something to make 100% sure you were going to get your parts in time!
  11. ZOMBIFIED

ZOMBIFIED n00b

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't order anything from them again if they begged and offered to pay me. As Inkfx knows from dealing with them, they S U C K! Plain and simple. It took me 2.5 months to get a set of FP Racing lever from them that they PROMISED (and by promise I mean promised in writing, after asking them three or more times before ever ordering them) would be no more than three to five days. I heard multiple excuses form them, NONE of which were ever their own fault of course. It's always someone else's. I ordered a wind screen as well, and it didn't ship out until I got pissed and emailed about the levers not showing up yet... Two weeks later.

So, goodie for you guys that get ALL your parts in a timely manner and haven't had to deal with their crappy customer service and excuses. Keep buying stuff from them, and you'll eventually see what we're talking about.
  12. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Must be a Vegas thing...

Enjoy Baja.
  13. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    i totally beg to differ!!!!!!!!! I have ordered thousands of dollars of parts, and gear from them and the few times i have had issues, they were quick to sort it out. I am sorry you had that experience but saying not to trust them based on your experience is just not fair. They are one of the best ktm vendors i have dealt with. Sometimes things go wrong and unfortunately no company is 100% perfect. I hope things work out ok for you and you manage to have a great trip.
  14. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here.

It's a small operation. Sometimes people make mistakes. It happens. Doesn't warrant a thread like this.
  15. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I realize they cant carry everything in stock and at times they are unable to fill an order for months, I've also ran into that. And its understandable when you have months to wait. Thing is I asked KTMtwins if I should order them from TT directly and he said "No, don't worry about it. I will make sure you have it before the trip" They received it two days ago and instead of making sure I would have it they sent it out the following day 2day air (a day late) and UPS doesn't deliver Saturdays unless specified. So I paid extra for shipping to have it 3 days late and I had ordered it 8 days ahead

Maybe they just hate Vegas..
  16. motocentaur

motocentaur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly..

Just frustrating when you ask specifically if some thing needs anything and they tell you is doesn't. Then promises twice to get it to you on time then, completely disregards the promises and doesn't pay any attention.

And yeah I'm saying don't trust rely on them biased on my dealings as well as others. "And no company is 100%" thats correct but I give this on 50%. About half the things I order I don't have any issues. Their not as bad as KTMhutt but I have a beef, this is my issue.

Sorry, just pretty pissed at the moment.
  17. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Understandable, of course.

But I suspect, after the moment has passed, you'll regret the thread's title.

Mistakes happen, and while it is not an excuse for an otherwise reputable company, it reflects most poorly on the poster.

What did they do when you gave management the chance to resolve their issue?
  18. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with them, also.

Someone very helpful guided my toward the Remus Revolution I bought because it was one of the few cans for the 990 that were available individually.

Not saying mistakes can't happen, or aren't important, but my luck has been quite good, like I say. 100% good, in fact, on a bunch of purchases.

Hope it all works out.
  19. kingoftwins

kingoftwins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We would love to resolve and fix your situation if you would like to call in to us. I am not sure who you spoke to on the phone but if you would let me know we will make sure that they are educated on this situation for future inquires. Please provide contact info or give us a call. Ask for Ron when you do and he will do everything in his power to resolve this as fast as possible with the hopes that your trip won't be disrupted.

20. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a 690 Scotts Damper from them because I've never been disappointed with any order while building my 990.

Try ordering parts for a Ducati 1198, now that's a lesson in patience no matter who you order from.