Which Akrapovic Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Treillw, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Err, because 1200 euro is a lot of money for a stump of stainless pipe? I don't care if there reads NASA on the side of it.
  2. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    I definetly understand that Autodidact.

I Couldn't see paying the :eek1 $900+ Akra price for my 690 Enduro SINGLE CYLINDER either.

I went with the FMF TI-Q4 for the 690 & very pleased with it :thumb

But my SE with Akra's has that Awesome Sound :bow
  3. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a couple of hundred less you can get for example Mivv Suono set which looks about the same and is TÜV and E-approved. It comes in stainless, titanium and carbon, from 700 to 1000 euro. Still a lot of money for a pipe. My main concern is the weight and the heat generation of the stock mufflers. Around here aftermarket pipes are generally disregarded in the bikes value when you decide to sell it, you could be better off changing the stock mufflers back on and selling the aftermarket ones separately.

However I'll never gonna shed over a thousand for a pair of mufflers as a litre of gas costs 1,6€ here and for that thousand you can get so much stuff and other farkles which make a lot more difference how the bike handles and feels.
  4. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure all the inmates have agreed on the best pipes. Lots of opinions out there on Akra, Wings, FMFs, Leos, etc. Also many opinions on best materials: stainless vs. Ti + carbon. I'm glad you're happy spending 1200 on pipes. I hope the Ti doesn't crack or shred if you drop the bike or take it on single tracks where they get bumped. Same w/ the carbon tips.

I'm very happy with the FMF stainless pipes I have. They are small, light, run cool and sound great. They already have spark arrestors and the map adjusts automatically after a 10 minute idle. The FMFs don't easily scratch, dent or crack. They have a very pleasing rumble, just a little louder than stock, which I prefer. For the difference in price, I added Euro-spec light housing, 50 watt HID hi and lo beams and 24 watt LED spots, mounted on the forks. I still had enough $$ left over to take the family out to dinner.

To each his own.
  5. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  6. AdvRat

AdvRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have a very valid point in your statement - are the expensive ones really worth the extra money? I'm not sure about it, which is why I keep asking. I was in the process of placing a huge order for Winter farkles and was going to add in the exhaust system and I figured the bike would be just about done - at least until I wanted something else for it, or decided I need a titanium clutch cover. But the difference in money would allow me to maybe not add hard panniers to the bike but I could get a complete Wolfman Saddlebag & Rack combo or Giant Loop Saddlebags and probably a few other items on top of that. Just for the difference.

I understand that the bike probably needs something to lower the temp and lighten the rear end, but it makes me wonder where the dividing line is between quality and status. Don't get me wrong the Akro's & Wings are very nice looking. And made very specifically for the KTM brand. But even the Wings I think are a little better value than the Akro's are. Maybe not if you don't compare the carbon tipped one, but there's a huge swing in prices in the carbons ones - maybe $400 or so. And maybe $200 or so in the standard Akro Oval ones. And that's a lot of farkles just for a carbon tip.

I have heard the FMF's just don't have the quality or durability as the Akro's, Wings or Remus ones have tho... I have heard after time the rivets will come loose?? But you can get almost 3 sets of the standard FMF's (and 2 sets of Q4 Ti's) for what a set of Akrapovic Evo's cost - it's probably cheaper to replace the whole FMF system than to repack or replace pieces on the Akro's - damn!

So if you still wanted the Euro brand ones still - Akro's, Wings or maybe Remus - what company and what cans are the better ones? Better for repairing or servicing, customer service, durability, etc.? Because even in the end, after saving money or not saving money, most people would not be putting serious farkle bucks into an exhaust if it wasn't a little for the bling factor - sorry! People spend serious money on exhaust systems for cars just to see the muffler tips (only the tips) hanging out the rear of the car and having the sticker to show it. I understand the big benefits to them, I grew up in the muscle car days and had them on my cars and trucks, but the bling & status factor always contibute. But you still may need to repair or work on them so what is the better system or company for that.

So if you didn't want to spend $1350+ for a carbon tipped Akro system - is a Wings system for between $850-950 or a Akro Oval Titanium system in the 950's worth the extra compared to the FMF Q4 Ti's. Or what if you could get the Akro Carbon Evo's in the $1100 price range on sale or discount - then would it be worth it? I mean what is the break point between status and the best system available for your money? Sorry for rambling!
  7. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've hit on one of the most recurring topics in the forum: best exhaust for the 9xx. While there are many strong opinions, I don't think there's a conclusive best brand. I read a lots of posts and asked a bunch of questions last year when making the decision myself. The only uniform agreement I found was that the stock cans blow and almost any aftermarket slip-on is a substantial upgrade in terms of heat, weight and sound. I don't think any slip-ons offer major performance enhancement by themselves.

I'm not critical of anyone who goes with Akra or Wings. I looked at them and think they are great pipes. If someone wants to pay for the bling, god bless. I just didn't think they were any better than most cheaper brands on the measures that were important to me. I specifically didn't want the Ti or carbon b/c I value durability much more that literally one pound difference in weight. I ended up choosing FMFs b/c they dominate the dirtbike exhaust market and are engineered and built to take extraordinary punishment. KTM uses them on its higher-end dirtbikes. IMHO, the build quality is superior. Not sure where you got the concern re rivets or welds failing.

I also like the clean (and slightly smaller) look of the FMFs:
    [​IMG]

I'm not a label buyer. My only advice is to figure out what's important to you then find a bunch of different pipes to actually see in person to make your own call on issues of weight, sound, heat, looks, etc.
  8. AdvRat

AdvRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got that info from the people/companies selling the other brand systems. KTMTwins did tell me that the Akrapovics are probably their favorite and the "standard", probably highest end system they sell - either the Evo's or the Oval systems - but if I need something with a spark arrestor I couldn't go wrong with the FMF Q4 system. And they sell the Remus and other higher end ones also. I might have ordered it from them except that FMF has them on sale thru the end of February at 20% off so the price is better thru the factory.

Thanks for the comments and help.
  9. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I defy anyone to say that one exhaust or the other is the best for everyone. That simply can't be true.

I'm an IT guy who works on huge infrastructure projects. Lots of money on the table. In order for a project to succeed you need to define success right up front. If you don't, then you can't tell me how to meet the objectives.

This definition of what's best for the 950 (or any bike) has a bunch of different ways to define "best".

Examples:

1. Best Price - Cheapest Wins? Most Expensive Wins?
    2. Loudest?
    3. Quietest?
    4. Lightest?
    5. Best Looking (would need a whole big discussion as that is so subjective).
    6. Best made (same as #5. Very subjective).
    7. Most HP gained? - Need Empirical data. Must show dyno runs.
    8. Most Torque gained?
    9. Best "Bling" Potential (somewhat subjective... :-)

Or, as most would assume here, including me, some combination of all or most of the above. You'd have to do some sort of weighted value for each of the variables above.

But, for each individual owner.. you must decide your criteria. And I'm pretty sure your criteria won't match everyone else's.

I just got a used 2004 950 with < 7500 miles. It has a pair of Remus Aluminum cans with inserts that is way too loud for ME. I snagged a pair of nicely used Akros here for $600 to my door. I've had Akros before and like them a lot for their quality of construction, appearance, and mostly the sound. I like them with the inserts in. So, my "which one" is based on a few of the factors above but not all. Cost was a factor as well and I didn't want to spend $1100 for new ones. I've never seen a dyno run for the Akros. I just know I don't want to put the stock exhaust back on (I have it) because of the cats/heat issue.

Being the geeky engineer-type that I am.. it is impossible to define "best" that works for everyone.

Tom [Stating the Obvious as usual]
  10. Sapling

Sapling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good weighted opinions here.....:1drink
  11. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    I just fitted a set of Akro Ti end cans and had the Akro map put on.

It has made a huge difference to engine temp and exhaust temp.

Also looks better, sounds better, and produces more power with a far better power curve (considering I commute through city traffic on it everyday). So far I am riding with the baffles in, after two tanks of petrol I'll whip them out and do two tanks that way and then compare MPG, performance etc. and decide which I prefer, or if I prefer to chop and change for on/off road or whatever.

I deliberately went for the bling factor of Akro, despite the higher price, for a reason - the country I live in sells Akros for three times the price of the UK, I bought them in the UK and brought them back in my luggage.

Akros are basically the only recognised aftermarket zorsts over here.

When I am done with them I'll be able to sell at a profit - whether because of bike sale, upgrade, or even leaving the country to move elsewhere.

But all things financial aside they were a brilliant addition to the bike and have made it way more enjoyable to ride, especially at low speeds and have gone a long way to sorting out the snatchy throttle.

YMMV, I guess - especially as I switched to a 16 tooth sprocket at the same time...

:D
  12. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of the value of the various types of exhaust is determined also by the type of riding. If I were to ride with a bunch of other KTM 9XX riders, I'd want to look like I was knowledgeable. So my home made exhaust pipes from wine bottles wouldn't cut it. On the other hand, if I was perpetually out in the dez scratching and fighting my way up hills and down dales (shhhh, don't tell her I said that), then I'd probably want FMF's or something else not quite as blingy/pricey when they got dinged and scratched. Oh, yeah, I know, "don't drop it." How many times have I heard that. War wounds and battle scars is what I called them on the VStrom, CRF450X, and WR250R.

I like the idea of a multiple rating system, but then again, it still wouldn't answer the bottom line question of "which exhaust is best...FOR ME?"

Keep em' rollin in.
  13. AnyWayRound

AnyWayRound live to ride,ride to live

Oddometer:

nice SE:thumb
  14. Little Fauss

Little Fauss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    x2
  15. Ale_Ray

Ale_Ray n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for a set of pipes. I've got a full yoshi on a 99 zx6r and it's always been a wicked sound.
    Now the Katoom 990 is in need.
    I agree with Treillw I'm after the best sounding set of pipes. NOT tinny! Nice and deep. A bit of a tearing sound.
    Another thing. Can someone put up the sound of a KTM 990 with Akras, wings.etc BUT not at idle! Honestly who listens to their bike idling?
    I've narrowed it down to three manufacturers, Leo Vince (look great, sound good on others), Akras and Wings.
    Don't suppose any of these three do full systems? (Does anyone apart from GPR?)
  16. Cuse

Cuse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you have Akras you enjoy the sound no matter what. Whether it's at idle or balls out it sounds great.
  17. 75monza

75monza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing you might want to consider is the repair side of things. Where you live, can you or somebody you know (maybe a shop) weld and repair titanium? There is nobody in my area that can. If you can't get the pipes repaired if they ever break on you, is it still a good choice for your area? Most places can repair steel and aluminum pipes.
  18. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, does anybody have any experience with Remus titanium pipes?
  19. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, there are a zillion options for the end cans but where the heck do you find headers?? Does everyone go with the stock ones? I have a 990 and would like a stainless system give the corrosion a wear on the front header...
  20. singlewideteamusa

singlewideteamusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw somewhere that Powercell Ken was in the initial design/prototype stages of a complete system for the SE, not sure if includes the ADV bikes also...
    Can anyone confirm?