Questions about the Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Morinite, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RobDek

RobDek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take note of CURD's renewed Helping Hands Network. A listing of fellow CURDs around North America willing to lend a hand to those in need on the road while traveling.
  2. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    I usually have trouble drifting up to that speed, cant seem to hold it back.
    it is what it is, still a litle throtle left at that, but not much, bike seems happy there.
    now, what are these extra peices in my final drive?:eek1
  3. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    68MPH is ~110Kph.
  4. vetsurginc

vetsurginc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the US bikes are set up any different than the Canadian. But with 9000 Km on my 2011GearUp I can easily hold a GPS reported 65mph with omph left. Would probably top out at 70+ (I think Motorcycle Consumer News listed 73 at 5400 rpm, the upper limit recommended by the factory.) MPG at those speeds is as poor as you would expect, 28 mpg. I'm in south florida so it's flat, roads are straight, cagers just flat dangerous.

That said, I like running in the 55-60 mph range better. With a tail wind I've gotten 31 mpg. Mostly I go 152-160 km before turning on reserve. I carry two ten liter cans so I don't have to sweat every gas station. Out on the plains, might be worth adding that extra 10 liter can.

For fun, the Ural has it hands down. I have a 2010 BMW RT, but it can go a month between rides now. Vasily is my grab and go bike.

Maintenance, yup, gotta do it, but very easy to do. Think tractor and you got the right attitude :D
  5. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll echo what others have already said. I've only had my '08 Gear Up a few weeks, but I had to drive over 500 miles to get it home. I was on that rig for 14 hours straight and did a constant 60mph on the highway without missing a beat or any signs of resistance from the bike. They can go on the highway, just don't expect to do more than 60-65mph. The literature from the factory lists the top recommended speed as 65mph. It's generally recommended not to go faster than that, but if you have to, not to do it for long. And like others have said, check out www.sovietsteeds.com & russianiron.com. I'm doing some work on mine right now and they are very helpful people.

Good luck with your decision!
  6. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Whopeee

Oddometer:
    I hit reserve around 200km and it will take 4 gallons (plus or minus) to fill the tank. That is 200 km X0.62=124 miles/4 gallons=31mpg. I still do not think my engine is broke in yet as I am still getting more and more power and top end. I have hit 75 on mine on flat strech with no wind. Pushing a 30 plus headwind I hit reserve at 170km which winds up around 26 mpg and that is with a windshield on the bike and hack.
    Do not be intimidated by the maintenance. Have someone show you or watch on youtube how to set the valves. Feeler gauges, 14 mm for the valve covers and two 13 mm wrenches for the valves. It aint rocket science. Keep up with the lubrication changes and grease the splines when called for. If you can keep up with the maintenece on a KLR, the Ural is a breeze.
  7. PetrB

PetrB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the Russian Internet are tons of excellent old books about Ural and Dnepr. But most of its are about old 750 flathead and 650 OHV and in Russian. Some of these books have a many illustrations and the text can be translated through online translators. For example - Kotov P.N - "Heavy motorcycles repairing and maintenance" - its a Bible of Russian uralistas/dnepristas: http://www.kodges.ru/101314-remont-tyazhelyx-motociklov.html

And this book about new 750 OHV: http://2kojleca.ru/index.php/moto-knigi/item/7-motocikly-ural-ehkspluatacija-obsluzhivanie-remont

"Only God is Russian Oppozite, and The Kotov - his prophet")))
  8. Russentreiber

Russentreiber Free-Biker

Oddometer:
    Here I am :D
    2012 Ural Ranger, 10'500 km (8000 made in 2 weeks across Europe) and no issues !
    Top speed around 110 km/h give or take... usually cruising at 80-90 km/h... :1drink Take it easy...
    Off roading is ok from my experience, the Ranger can be impressive if YOU know how to use it :lol3
    Long tours and camping is what it's build for :) Lot of cargo space,
    HINT: Get the spare wheel cargo-rack ;)

BUT:
    Uraling is a lifestyle!
    Forget about timetables or fast traveling ! The Ural is build for running and running at 'bout 80-90 any higher CAN get you temperature issues in hot summer (remember: It's Siberian!)
    You'll spend PLENTY of time at Gas stations answering questions about your bike and yourself plus it's a chick-magnet :evil

Listen to who said getting a riding class !!! It's completely different from a bike or even a Quad !!!
    Not difficult... but VERY DIFFERENT !

Ural is like a Jeep... Love it or Hate it... but that's only up to YOU
    Me ? I LOVE it !!!

Cheers
    Rich.-
    Italy
  9. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Hey, don't count out that 06 KLR just yet! Lookee what I did with mine...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20065320#post20065320
  10. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to say this.I have a 031150 GSA/Ural..We did this for the horsepower and its the only tub my wife likes..But everytime I ride my buddys 2012 Gear up or any other Ural rig makes me think of owning 2 rigs.I've never played with a rig that makes me smile like a Ural.I spend more time playing with the reverse than anything else.If I could put a reverse on my oilhead I'd be in heaven..There is some very good advice about the Ural go try one that tells alot..Sidecars are strange way to ride ,but you either love it or hate..Me Ilove it..Good luck...:freaky
  11. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
  12. joatmoa

joatmoa Joatmoa

Oddometer:
    I took my 2010 Ural Cross from the UK to the Eastern side of Mongolia and back in 7 weeks. The Cross isn't available in the States but I would have been happier with a Gear-up! The Russian bits were fine but the Slovakian made sidecar sub-chassis broke!
    It's all documented HERE Click on Mongolia and then Diary.
    I would have another in a heartbeat and to that end I've written to Ural in America to ask if I could hire any model to tour around the States in 2014. This year I'm away around the World but on a solo. No reflection on the Ural but it would be too expensive to ship across the Pacific and Atlantic.
    www.aatw2013.com
  13. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Yes they do. She rides very nice!
  14. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I share a GU-11 w/ my BRO. What made us get this 11 was our earlier GU-06 or 07, forgot the vintage.

If you own a KLR & belong to KLRWorld.com then you too will know & understand the importance of SS or Soviet Steed.
    Membership has it rewards, many times over. Working on a Ural is so simple & very rewarding. We keep a tight log on what is done.

We ( BRO & I ) both ride the GU in different gardens. The desert has its own beautiful roughness. Climbing mountain roads to a fire-watch tower over 10,000 ft has put many bikes & jeeps to their design test. But this GU is just pure fun to tip toe over & around the baby skull rock roads or climbing in & out of rutted & wash board narrow forest roads.

In the SE of our country, the garden is very different. There the Ural is equally at home plowing through sugar sand or muddy roads. There even has been a time when this Ural helped pull out of a ditch a quad w/ 2 up that blasted by minutes earlier.

You might find yourself a bit limited when getting a Ural which is better at lower speeds but we both have discovered a better riding life style. I know this sounds a bit strange. But the Ural has better enabled us to ''share the ride''.