The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I'll seriously doubt they'll resurrect the G450. One can never tell what they're going to do, but you can tell some things they'll never do. :lol3
  2. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the bike and all engineering is owned by Speedbrain which is in turn, contracted to BMW Motorad. Husqvarna supplies the engines from Italy to the team in Germany. So in theory, Speedbrain just needs to find another 450 lump that fits in. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to have Kymco revive a run of the 450 motors and then hand them over to the Speedbrain engineers for massaging.

I believe Husky's input is the motor supply so perhaps the impact to the team will be negligible aside from the motor issue.

The team and riders are aware of this news though.
  3. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    That would make sense, but would the team be called BMW SpeedBrain again? And would BMW allow it / want exposure like that? (I doubt BMW will ever try and associate itsself with the Dakar again on 2 wheels, MInis are doing just fine :D)

So if BMW is out of the question, what do they do with the Kymco engines? Put Kymco on the livery? And for what return, in what market

Sounds like a nightmare scenario for Wolfgang

On the other hand, If Peirer lends support, or even contracts the whole team as a pure blood "Husqvarna" assault on the Dakar, they might be tempted to omit the "SpeedBrain" part of their moniker and come under the wings of a 100% Factory Husqvarna brand.

Interesting stuff
  4. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Or maybe Mr. Peirer knows something about global warming that we don't :lol3

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kUnj65cL6iU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. doyle

Oddometer:
    I hear things are pretty adamant that the team stays with BMW. What is less clear is how they brand things. BMW has no product in the segment that fit Dakar rules, so how can they fit within the "production" spirit?
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    450 waterheaded twin :D

I hate calling it a waterhead :lol3
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    This is currently where all the spare Kymco/G450X engines are going:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857243

Jx
  8. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yep - or just lop off one of the cylinders and create a 'flat single', with a fuel tank on the other side... that'd work...

Jx
  9. doyle

Oddometer:
  10. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The latest is that Stephen has/will sell his 12% interest in KTM to Bajaj, putting them firmly in charge. Figuring that this has been in the works for some time it's no wonder that KTM has not finalized contracts and plans for the 2014 Dakar rally.

Edit
    The historically interesting bit is that it looked for a while like Husaberg and Husqvarna might be merged back together under KTM after a 26 year separation. Now with Husaberg staying with KTM and Husky heading off with Stephen the divorce continues.
  11. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
  12. silentwolf

silentwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hmmm. Good for Husky, but maybe bad for KTM? :huh

KTM has plenty of good people in place, (DeCoster and Everts for MX/SX, Burleson running the US program) but will they still be able to push without that (local) support? At first I read Beirer (Pit) which is the driving force behind the racing scene so it's good to know that he's not disappearing but this will be an interesting shake up nonetheless...
  13. doyle

Oddometer:
    Some interesting comments from an interview with Pierer from December.

14. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
  16. Brimstone

Brimstone Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer:
    So, according to that email, Husky will remain part of the larger KTM org. So the idea of Pierer Industries doing their own thing with the brand is lost? If I heard the Bajaj fellow correctly, it sounds like they want to position KTM/Husaberg as the premium brands and Husky as the VW equivalent. "The People's Bike"!!!

I guess time will tell how that goes...
  17. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    The plot thickens:

Interview with Peirer

Nieuwsmotor: Why Husqvarna when, with Husaberg, you already have a similar marque?

Stefan Pierer: “We think that with Husqvarna, there’s a specific niche to tackle. With this brand, we want to focus on competing with Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. We’d like to move the brand to selling 10,000 units per year, then continue watching. For that, Husqvarna needs to go back to it’s roots, it’s strayed too far.”

“The brand has a wonderful history, but a completely wrong model lineup and is on completely the wrong track. The dealer network was not ready to sell two-cylinder street models.”

“We will work with Husqvarna to go back to its origins. We’ll soon be back in motocross and then in supermoto, both sports in which Husqvarna previously dominated. Within the next year, we will make an appropriate motorcycle developed with the specifications and character Husqvarna needs.”

So at first I thought that Peirer would leave KTM and resurrect Husky, seems that was wrong and KTM are indeed buying the Swedish brand. Did I hear someone say homogenization of offroad bikes?
    Bummer.

And of course that leaves SpeedBrain out in the cold, it sounds like Peirer wants Husky to focus on MX and supermoto :huh
  18. doyle

Oddometer:
    What email? :ear
  19. Brimstone

Brimstone Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer:
    HAHA! Good catch! I meant video... email = video... LOL!
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Or did the KTM factory team just get a whole lot bigger ?

Coma, Despres, Barreda, Speedy, Quinn, etc......

A big FU to HRC ?