rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I ride down in SoCal on ACH and the canyons in the winter on the weekends and it's not bad at all. On weekdays I can have places like Palomar almost all to myself a lot of the time.

I haven't ridden it in a few years but I rode 129 once at about 6pm on a Sunday evening and there were only a few other bikes there.
  2. RockStorePhotos

RockStorePhotos n00b

Oddometer:
    I have shot close to 180,000 photos on The Snake so far in 2012. Around 150 of those photos are sequences from 10 crashes. So if ten people out of the approx 120,000 who have ridden The Snake in the past 8 months crash, what does that mean?

It means there have been 179,990 riders drivers and cyclists who have transited The Snake successfully.

It means flatlanders who not of what they speak should stick to crayfish and mile long straightaways.

It means that a few of you ride with little ADV badges sewn into your panties.

It means that if you are in Los Angles and want to ride your bike to The Snake, you are not in imminent danger of crashing.
  3. SloCalSpode

SloCalSpode Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And Paul. I want to be the first here to thank you for taking all those pictures of me as I ride past.
    I never once felt like crashing for you just to "Get THAT shot".
    Two of my favorites.
    The SDR200
    [​IMG]
    and the Super Sherpa. Keep up the good work:clap
    [​IMG]
    Runwithscissors likes this.
  4. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    California speak?:norton
  5. RockStorePhotos

RockStorePhotos n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice to see all the comments aren't darts and all the gestures not middle fingers. Thanks Jeff!
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little testy are we? :lol3
  7. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when the photographers set up camp on a stretch of nice road its doomed.
    Seen it with Deals Gap.
  8. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Nice shots there RockStore! Maybe one day I'll make it out of Texas to get one for myself :1drink
  9. Vulin

Vulin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so Im confused, whats hard about this corner again?
  10. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    Im thinking something similar... only I want to ride it on my supermoto not my strom, but there is not way in hell im riding coast to coast on that 2x4 of a seat (damn now Im actually considering it...)
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:

Do ya think :D
  12. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I present to you, this thread of awesomeness!

Not a supermoto, but close I would imagine :deal
  13. RockStorePhotos

RockStorePhotos n00b

Oddometer:
    Testy am I? And a Brit?

Sounds good. After vulture, those insults are compliments. And certainly, insults I deserve for jumping in here. I have been seeing this talk about what me and Rnickey do for years. There was an incident this weekend so I guess I'm being proactive.
  14. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    After all, you know it's your fault those people crash. I wonder who's fault a crash is if no one else is around? Maybe then the riders will take responsibility for their actions.

Naaaahhhh! There's always someone else to blame!
  15. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    Yeap.

I can't blame the photogs for the crashes. The dopes that face plant because they feel the need to show off get what they deserve. Also think that people that crash because they get "surprised" need to re evaluate their road craft skills a little bit, and not be so quick to biff the second something unexpected comes up. (Or, if they are a regular to the road know full damn well that there are photogs there and as such should not pay them any mind until they go to purchase a nice high res shot)
  16. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    I try to wave (one finger or five) when I go past. My bikes are utilitarian enough that you usually take the moment to stare at the dirt :evil
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Those crashes are absolutely the fault of the person crashing - However, the presence of photographers and other "spectators" (or vultures) definitely contributes, since we all know that many of those crashing are trying to show off for the crowd and the lens. Furthermore, most of those watching know the score and are not just there to see people carving up the corner with aplomb, but hoping to watch a few people screw up too. If you're standing by that road at the weekend you are undeniably part of the problem. We on this forum may not be encouraging the antics that lead to crashes but we are still enjoying the outcome so shouldn't be supercilious about it either.

10 crashes on one corner in 8 months is not as many as one might expect from all the photos and videos out there. It still seems like a lot to me, however, and I'm surprised anyone would try to claim otherwise.

RockstorePhotos: I am a Brit. I can go round corners and eat crawdads. Your chances of seeing me on that particular road are slim to none since, if I ever went, it would be at a time when I hoped I have the road to myself, without all the idiots (on two wheels and four) getting in the way. However, if I am out that way and our paths cross, I'll get the first beers.
  18. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    I would say. On any given weekend here in SoCal. There are way more crashes on Angeles Crest (where there are zero photographers) than in the Santa Monica Mtns where there are 2 photographers.

And the crashes on The Crest are always worse because the speeds are greater up there.

It's squids riding over their level. Not photographers

Hey. Lookie there. A photographer in the apex and I didn't wipe out. From last Sunday:

[​IMG]
  19. RobH

RobH Don't tase me bro

Oddometer:
    You mad bro?

20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer: