Plastic panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by clawdog60, Mar 19, 2013.

1. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone running the HB plastic panniers and thoughts on them.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Check over in Orange Crush. The KTM guys use them a lot, and seem to find them pretty good.

Jim :brow
  3. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which panniers are you asking about? HB sells a number of models that are plastic. My brother has HB Journey cases that came on his Ulysses, and I have a set of Gobi cases on my 640 Adventure.

Geof
  4. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:
    Most of my buddies that ride 950/900's have the gobi's and they love them. Plus... Its kinda like owning the worlds largest set of frame sliders.
  5. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are the Gobi's, will have to recheck the site. They have a semi-top opening lid, they look durable but I dont want something that will be warped after a summer in the sun.
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Most of the knock is that they are big for their capacity, mostly because of the integrated water bladder/liner but also don't tuck in anywhere as the bike they were meant for has dual exhaust. Also they aren't as thick plastic as a Pelican case so corners can be ground much easier.
  7. fubar201

fubar201 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had both the Journey and Gobi on my Uly. Hated the Journeys because of the *very* fragile latch. Bought the Gobis after breaking my third latch. I bought them because they fit the same racks for side and top cases. I liked them much better. Not my first chioce on the GS tho.
  8. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Te Gobis are basically indestructible. I've beat the living **** out of mine and they continue to work fine. I used them in heat up to 125F. (I live in the desert where we get 100+ for usually 30 or more days every summer. Their one drawback is the thick walls which means they waste a fair amount of bulk. If I remember correctly, they are something like 35 liter on the inside, but they take up the space of a 40+ liter case.

Geof
  9. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think they are on the heavy side with the double wall construction? Can you give me a overall width with the mounts?
  10. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're no heavier than most other panniers I've used. I don't know the width partly because I've never used them on a GS, just on a KTM 640 and a KTM 950. HB says the cases themselves are 20" wide each. So you have 40" there, plus the width of the frame.

Geof
  11. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks. roomy but way too wide for me.
  12. fubar201

fubar201 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty funny when looking at your avatar. :eek:
  13. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a pair of HB 40L Juniors for my '07 990 Adv: They're wider than Gobis and Jesse's, not as deep (=higher center of gravity) and they open from the side. In short, I found out they're OK for daily commutor use but not ideal for camping or long trips.
  14. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to check out the HB plastic and older set of TT for my bike, 2010 KTM 990A. After checking out the two of them I decided NOT to get the HB's. I didn't like the dead space, which in my mind, equates to an airbag for your belongings. :rofl I didn't want a wider box for less space, to me it doesn't make sense. Makes me wonder how many of the owners of those boxes use them for water anyway. I know I wouldn't. Thought about it actually for fuel but scraped that idea.

In short I feel it's a pretty poor set up for the cost and size of the things. I also felt the mounting system to the rack was subpar. Just my opinion however.

Here is a link from OC:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883293