Pensacola area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XT Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Pheadrus

IMHO = Do NOT skimp on two items. Boots and Helmet. Whats in between is up for debate.

Feet/Ankle/Knee are where off road injuries are most common. Hugh boots are chit to walk in but what you need to ride the woods - especially like you do.

The head part is obvious. Anywhere you ride.
  2. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
  3. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    well damn, thanks for the info on the sealskins, thats much cheaper than another pair of boots! according to everything I found they get 100% positive reviews.

Ive always wondered about JPs plastic-wrapped boots - guess that'd explain it!

Vico yer absolutely right. the foot protection has saved my arse many times, as well as the head. Those are two areas I aint willing to skimp - I was just hoping there'd be something perfectly middle of the road. but yet again, compromise is the word of the day. I am thinkin ill stick with the boots I got, and get me some sealskins. Already got plenny o helmets, always wear em.

Think ill get some of them sealskins gloves to wear under my mx gloves.:thumb
  4. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I'll be Mohoing back to Pensacola on the 23rd (Next Friday). Please think of me when planning rides. I could be up for a Sunday or after-work ride, maybe even Saturday. I'm partial to Eglin but up for anything. I have to get to Niceville sometime Friday. My permit expires Tuesday :bluduh.

I would also eat dinner with some of you if you are into that kind of thing. We'll be staying in Navarre as usual.

I'm also looking for a side trip. The last couple of years year we did the Water Parks in Destin and Panama City beach for a day and a boat tour. I wanted to go to Weeki Wachee but it would take another whole day to get there. I would like to hear from you guys about family type fun places that could be a day trip.

Also, what is that place that had the free camping by the bay? You guys had an event there a couple years ago. We rode down there last Summer, but I can't remember what the road was like. Could I get the camper down there?

[​IMG]
    By klatubaradanikto at 2009-07-25
  5. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats good news Brian. I'll go too,,,,,,even if the knobbies arrive or not.
    If the death-wings are still on the DRZ,,,,,,,the best protection is simply, ,,,, "don't crash".
    It ruins everyones day. :becca

May I suggest a ride along the gulf across the Innerarity Point bridge,,,,across the Perdido Pass bridge to Gulf Shores. They have a pretty good water park (Waterville USA)there if you'd like to do that with your family. Ft. Morgan is just west of there. Its a civil war fort/museum and if two ferries are running now, it would allow you a neat ride across the Mobile Bay to Ft. Gaines.
    Kinda pricey for motorhomes though.
    [​IMG]
    From there, heading north to the USS Alabama,,a WWII battleship tour with the submarine USS Drum and aircraft museum for the same entry fee. It would be a big circle trip that would take a day to do.

Real pretty over that way

[​IMG]
  6. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Good choices. I love Forts and airplane museums and battleships, but I'm not so sure about my family. I kind of like the idea of a motorcycle tour if we can stay off highways and stop often for the girls to rest. I was actually considering Waterville too.

I have to give you commend you for riding my 400 without complaint or incident. I got on it to ride 15 miles to some trails the other day and realised how bad shape it had gotten. The front tire was nearly flat, there is no damping whatsoever in the shock and the chain had eaten through the guide and into the swingarm making a lot of scary racket. It's up on blocks getting the engine and swingarm removed for a refurb before racing starts back. I think it will be the last season for it and I'll start looking for a newer two stroke.
  7. freebornman

freebornman pointman

Oddometer:
    hey vic hows yer knee?
    hope you're ok.....
    wd
  8. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 400 felt mostly OK to me from start to finish. Couldn't help myself a couple of times by "Releasing the reins" on the Katoom for a short distance.
    Sure hope I didn't startle anyone too badly doing that and my apologies if I did.

Thanks again for letting me use it for riding clean-up on the Hotshoe ride at Sweatfest III. :thumb
  9. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

+1!! :nod. There is no worse surgery and recovery than a tweaked ankle...I have some physician clients who specialize in busted body parts...
    + whatever on Sealskinz!! I alway pack them as the GS2 boots I have are used as U-boot stand ins....:bluduh , but offer mega protection. I'd rather deal with :krusty feet than busted ones..:kurt
    The helmet, oh well that is an endless debate, just get what you can afford and is comfy too..
  10. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    Mini if you get over to this area you got the Sea Lab on Dalphin island also, Its not real big but they got some sea life there, and it dont cost a lot to get in. there is a place called fish river grill 2 on hwy 59 N of gulf shores that has a burger that is UnGodley good. Im in Foley about 10 min from gulf shores and 3 miles from the out lit mall in foley.
  11. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    I got tomorrow off, will be heading to Jax guard early am for this years pass, then may hit a couple fwb stealerships to look at gear, then trails the rest of the day.

feel free to hit me up at 8507483594 txt or voicemail, cause ill probly be ridin an Ill get back atcha.:ricky
  12. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Looks like my son and I are heading to Durhamtown Plantation this coming weekend if anyone wants to go.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    They have miles and miles of one way trails, single track, four wheeler, dual sport, multiple motocross tracks, etc.<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.durhamtown.com/<o:p></o:p>
    This place is the ultimate motorcycle resort in the world! They have cabins, RV sites, a restaurant, pro shop...everything you'd need to have a good time (including a fleet of late model rental dirtbikes/ATV's.<o:p></o:p>
    If it sounds like a commercial, they are clients of mine and great people!<o:p></o:p>
    We have been going there for years; it is like a pilgrimage for us.<o:p></o:p>
    So, we will be there with our bikes and motorhome if anyone is interested, let me know. It would make a great dual-sport/ADV get-together!<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 18pt; HEIGHT: 17.25pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/deal.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    Rick<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  13. sallad

sallad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up, the SATOR tag is down here again if anyone needs an excuse to go take ride out to grassy point

South Alabama Tag-O-Rama

Edit: 500 pages of pcola area riders!
  14. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Grassy point. I think that's the place I was looking for in my post on page 499! How is the road getting back there?
  15. sallad

sallad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The road to grassy point is easy, you will have no problem getting a camper down there. Looking back at your post I think you might have been at Escribano point which is just about a mile or so south but you're probably not going to be able to make it out there in anything less then a 4x4.
  16. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    fine man thanks for asking.
  17. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    500 pages of P'cola Area Riders? WOW!!! Y'all could be arrested for having WAAAAY too much FUN!!! :lol3 :freaky :lol3

$bob$ Drenched in Tallahassee
  18. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Hey Mini--like sallad said, Grassy Point is easy to get to, even in an RV--and free camping out there too. Escribano Point is where we rode to last summer when you came down for a visit, you'd definitely need something with 4WD and some ground clearance to get out there.

500 pages here on the P-cola thread. What we got here is a Movement.:jive
  19. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:

And this is just the begining!
  20. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    What hath XT Thumper wrought?

Bless his soul