950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm looking for whatever will work.. The largest allen key have I have is 3/8", but it's too small. I have sockets with SAE allen key ends, all too small. I'm guessing the next size up 1/2" will do the trick. If I need metric, I need to know which size.. Otherwise, I'll probably buy everything around the 1/2" size and return the ones that don't work, but I really hate to buy and then return stuff like that..

Awesome. Thank you.
  2. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    I think it is a 25 MM. I'll double check when I get home but i went out to the car and I'm pretty sure that is the one I use.
  3. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, thank you.
  4. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not 25mm. If I remember correctly it's a 12mm allen. I bought a set of 1/2 drive metric allen sockets ranging from 12mm to 16mm, for sure it's in that range.

Remember to loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork, on the collar screw (12mm allen axle screw you're referring to) side of the fork prior to removing it. Don't ask how I recall this is an important step....

The torque values are 60nm for the collar screw and 15nm for the pinch bolts, 45nm for the brake caliper bolts. Use loctite 243 on the caliper attachment bolts, I also use a dab of loctite 242 on the pinch bolts.
  5. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, you're right, it's 12mm for the collar screw. So, I finally got the front wheel off. Both tires are finally changed, balanced, and ready to go back on.

Thanks for the torque values...although I usually just tighten it by feel. I have a torque wrench...I should probably use it more often. :deal
  6. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big smiles!

We had a break in the weather yesterday (sunny and about 60!) so a couple of us went out for a few hours. Between the knee replacement and very unfriendly for riding weather, it's been almost 4 months since I'd taken more than a 20-30 minute ride. Felt good!
  7. Smilin' Dave

Smilin' Dave I am smiling

Oddometer:
    Hey Walter thats great! Got a little ride in myself on Sunday but due to salt on the roads, I took the KLR. Sure felt good to be out riding again.
  8. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    What the hell was I thinking!!!???? Sorry. I'll keep my mouth shut until I can confirm next time.:lol3
  9. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha...i bet the 25mm is bigger than the entire axle.. :D

Well, while the rims are off, I decided to add some reflective rim tape. About $12 on Amazon!
  10. BuckMoto

BuckMoto Adventure Napping

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to change the front spark plug without pulling the carbs and airbox? I've tried pulling the radiator mounting bolts but still can't get my paws anywhere near the coil/plug boot and am not sure there is enough room to lift it out if I could. I have an SMR, so if this is possible, would the radiator overflow tank have to be pulled? Are any special cuss words required? :lol3

BTW, if anbody is having trouble finding a 12mm hex bit socket or the monster 14mm one for the side cover, sears.com has both.
  11. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 06 SM is being delivered tomorrow. (I bought it Jan 11th:huh) so after a month of volatile phone calls with the worst shipping company I've ever dealt with she's just around the corner.
    Question: she's been in a warehouse in Wisonsin for a month, sitting....alone. Anything special I should do when she gets to her new home
    in Los Angeles? I'm just dreading rolling her off the semi and having No Start. Battery or whatever else can go wrong....
  12. awork13

awork13 Gas was made to burn

Oddometer:
    Well hopefully they put really good gas in it. Because its a pain to drain the carbs, as they should have, for shipment. My fear is that it will need a carb clean. The old battery's in them are tuff, so it should be ok. Get it home and give her a good onvce over.

13. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was worried about the pre existing fuel. They did a safety inspection a month ago while I was handling the paperwork, where they road it and did the dealer inspection. Mech who test rode it had no idea it was that quick (he has an 08 Duc Multistrada) said it ran great, pulled hard. Only issues were the heated grips don't work and there's a slight rattle in or near one of the cans. Loose baffle maybe? (stock pipes and cans)
  14. 900rider

900rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I promise you the fuel is fine.

Mine hasn't had new fuel since mid november and i can still get it started once a month.

Your battery, however, will likely need charged. They loose an average of 1% per day when not on a maintenance charger. Do the math ;)
  15. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Glad you could catch a break to get a ride in. I had great weather the last couple of weeks, but my shoulder has been plaguing me and didn't want to risk it on a potentially slippery ride. Then I woke up yesterday and it didn't matter anymore:cry:

[​IMG]
  16. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Snowhawk -
    Whose 2-into-1 pipe did you use? I found one I like but it doesn't look like it will clear the oil tank (SMR).
  17. MotoSteve

MotoSteve Functioning Motard

Oddometer:
    I keep seeing people post about how they live in the snow and can't ride there bikes for several months. That sounds terrible. I've never known that problem in CA. Don't you folks have snowmobiles, snowboards, booze, women and other fun stuff to do during the cold season?

18. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody.

I've not found the answer in my searches.

Will a 990SMT seat fit on a 950SM?

Thanks.
  19. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Custom fab'ed "S" bend to Yoshi can. It is acceptable for street use, but since it is tucked in a bit, the tire rubs the can when I hit the deep bumps offroad. I have designed the correct bend and taper profile, both to clear the tire and for use with the stock flange mounts. It is almost ready for mock-up. The flange and flange plate must come from a machine shop and I haven't gotten the ca$h to proceed with that step yet. More to come on that subject.

I gots me a Snowhawk to cope with the winter snows. I don't get to ride it as much as I would like, either...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DrHf4XZBRyc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Please keep us posted on the progress.

If I keep my SMR I'll go to a 2 into 1 primarily so I can install one of Neduro's saddle tanks for longer trips.