Ride to James Bay

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pm_wizard, Oct 31, 2012.

1. pm_wizard

pm_wizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am starting my winter planning early, it hasn't even snowed yet...

My riding buddy has suggested a trip to James Bay next summer from a start out in Toronto. I have failed to bring this up with the search function so far.

Has anyone here done it? What are the roads like/ are there roads all the way?

Does anyone have a link I can follow?

Thanks,

John
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try TRIP PLANNING forum?
  3. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. pm_wizard

pm_wizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great link to jamesbayroad, The map makes North BAy look like a suburb of Toronto!

John
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    plenty of reading in the ride report section. you'll find all you need to know there.
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning on doing this ride next summer as well. I had really wanted to go this year, but time and money kept me from doing it. I found there are surprisingly few ride reports.

Here is one that I found though: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715690
  7. pm_wizard

pm_wizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Max384, thanks for the link. It is a great ride report, and i am still reading it!

When are you thinking of going?

John
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    From past experience research weather and when they usually have DRY conditions.....better dry and a few million bugs over cold and soaking wet!!!:deal
  9. pm_wizard

pm_wizard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Willys:

I couldn't agree more with you. I was a bit concerned that the photos of Radisson in JamesBayRoad.com are wet and look cold. I don't recall what time of the year he was there, but I hope to have better timing. No thrill quite like trying to dry out your stuff in a wet tent listening to the rain come down! And knowing you've got a wet bike outside waiting for you....

So far June looks like the best bet (to be refined) as a suitable trade off between temperature and rainfall. No wonder we have lots of water in the north of our country.... it rains (and snows) a lot all year round. I'll take a pass on black fly season too.

John
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure yet. It may not even happen. I have to take my board exam this summer, probably early June. Then I'll only have a couple, maybe three, weeks off until I start school again. I also want to take a trip with my kids, so I'm hoping that I can squeeze the ride in.

When are you planning on going?
  11. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. pm_wizard

pm_wizard Adventurer

Oddometer:

if it comes together it is likely to be last week of June or first week of July. it would be interesting to be in Northern Quebec for the Fete Nationale (St Jean Baptiste) - 24 June

John
  13. Balthazard

Balthazard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    You should look at Graveltravel.ca. They have a few links and GPS ride to James Bay and the Tiuga Rd.
    I am considering the ride for summer 2013. Let me know if you are planning seriously.
    Nbalthazard@gmail.com
  14. Ironballs

Ironballs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done the James Bay trip a few years back. Great ride. The weather will be your biggest issue. When I went up in Mid June it rained for a week then turned to snow about 350 km out of Raddisson. After 600 km in the rain just above freezing then snow...It was the coldest that I had ever been riding in the last 30 years. I would look to go near the end of July and swat blackflies before I would go again in June...My two cents...:evil