Honda preparing Dakar assault

Discussion in 'Racing' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Yes, I see I got the course a little off in one or two spots. That's only a small problem. I'll have that figured out and fixed before dinner time.
  3. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just rode that route last weekend!!!
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time, Scott dropped a waffle coated with maple syrup on a white sheet of A4 paper, late one friday night...

The next morning, he spotted it lying on the table, cut it down to A5 width, put it in the Hog's roadbook holder and set off... :lol3
  5. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    That's what I meant. I wouldn't expect you to be able to sleep otherwise.

*tossing* *turning* Mrs HogWild: Honey, you were talking in your sleep all night, something about "where was the sand wash?"

:lol3
  6. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    That's EXACTLY how the "grid" part of the Pahrump Loops roadbook route happened!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. doyle

Oddometer:
    HRC: Honda’s Rally Conundrum

HRC, Honda’s eponymous racing arm has a problem. In racing back to its place at the sharp end of long distance rally stardom after a 24 year break, it has created high hopes and even higher expectations throughout a rabid and vociferous rally fan base. Some of these hopes may have been dashed as in the midst of last minute preparations in California,two of the team’s top riders, this year’s Rally dos Sertoes winner, Felipe Zanol, and Dubai based motocross and baja star, Sam Sunderland crashed and unfortunately, were injured to the point that Sunderland is out and Zanol's participation is questionable at best....continued

:deal
  8. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Johnny Campbell will have to step in as was insinuated earlier in the HRC campaign. Maybe Honda can talk Jimmy Lewis out of his Dakar retirement to use his masterful nav skills that he taught Cyril Despres, when Cyril was his waterboy.
  9. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that won't be back in action for a while :cry - but it will be back in action :clap

Still no more news on Philipe as yet.

The op has been carried out and initially no problems, Sam has a scan on the other wrist later today, so fingers crossed :1drink

Attached Files:

10. Desert Matt

Desert Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not good news at all. Will see how things unfold over the next month.
  11. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda should put Colton Udall on one of those bikes after winning Baja.
  12. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Zanol would be representing Brazil. Replace a Brazilian with an Argentinian?!? No way!!! There's as much rivalry as possible, Brazil being the bigger market (by a factor of 5 - in terms of population alone).

I have scanned the web and twitter in Portuguese also but can't find no more news on Zanol, quite worrying indeed :(

Despres published a nice video with just his highlihted roadbook of one of the Morocco rally stages - besides riding, the guy can paint :D lots of notes, scriblling and so on - quite interesting for the fanatics like ourselves (sorry for the off topic): http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/WV8OUe1rTHI/hqdefault.jpg
  13. doyle

Oddometer:
    Same here. Haven't been able to find any more news.
  14. pedrodepacas

pedrodepacas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1!

If HRC would go for it, what a perfect mochilero for JC. He expressed interest in Dakar during a post race interview with Scotty Breauxman on Race-Dezert after JCR Honda's hard fought Baja 1000 win this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWIWWKMzuo&feature=player_embedded[​IMG]

He is a great person. I met him at Jimmy Lewis' rally navigation clinic. He helped Kevin Muggleton change out a tube on the trail, stagehand has the video. He takes the time to help people all the time. I do not know if JC would want him to be exposed to more risk at this stage in his career, as he is groomed for baja. If the F5r's want to rally behind a racer with podium potential, it is CU. He is fast, smart and young. To propel him to HRC recognition, we should get permission from JC to put together a grass roots effort to get him to Australia this year. (free shipping) It is a Honda dominated event, and Colton could surf while there as well (he loves to surf!) This could give him the experience and exposure needed in route to the big show in 2014 and beyond. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWIWWKMzuo&feature=player_embedded Watch the video, he is the kind of guy you would be happy to let your sister or daughter date!
  15. too old

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - my daughter has been going out with Sam for 4 years and we are very happy :rofl - now there's a riding partnership that would sit pretty well with the marketing boys! Sam and Colton that is, not my daughter :lol3

Sam should be at JC's race day tomorrow, he is having another scan today - you may struggle to recognise him though as he looks native SoCal, but he'll be the one with his wrist in plaster :D
  16. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    The plaster will blend right in, hell my kid was on crutches at the JC Christmas Classic last year. It's the funny way of talking that will give him away:rofl
  17. too old

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but the standard MX vocabulary will be right up there dude :rofl:rofl
  18. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info- disregard my post!
  19. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one has mentioned Kendall Norman as a replacement rider... he knows Hondas, he goes fast, but I'm guessing he and Johnny are unlikely to be on the same team...
  20. Ciampa

Ciampa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kendall would would be good. Is there some bad blood with JCR?

What about Casell, Bell, Pearson or Hengeveld?

<br>