Cambodia in Jan - 2013

Discussion in 'Asia' started by George 99, Sep 29, 2012.

1. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a link here so figured I'd post it. Someone might be interested. :D

This from the Husaberg Adventure Team FB page:
    "Dean organizes a charity ride for children's schools in Cambodia every year. It starts in Phnom Penh January 21. We will buy used scooters, outfit them with knobbies, and enduro through the jungles, beaches, and rivers for almost two weeks. There is no entry fee, you just need to get to Phenom Penh and buy a ~$600 scooter that after the ride is sold with the proceeds going to the schools. Everyone is invited, both experienced and inexperienced riders, females and males over 16. Riding can be as easy or challenging as you want but your safety is your own responsibility! Come ride with Dean, Barton (of Husaberg Adventure Team) and a great group from around the world. The ride takes less than 2 weeks- easy vacation from the usual even for Americans! Visit www.rideforcambodia.com for details."
  2. George 99

Oddometer:
    Just found this link at www.rideasia.net. Haven't read it yet but looks like lots of info and experience. Not so much here on ADVRider.
  3. George 99

Oddometer:
    I have found round-trip air-fare, LA to Phom Phen for $1064,,, 800 cheaper than leaving from 'Vegas. Looks like New Yawk is gonna run Danny ~$1600.

This ride looks to be right up the interest of lots of folks here.
    [​IMG]
  4. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    I'm lookin at prices often and the lowest has been $1270 on United with one stop.
    That was yesterday now it's up again to $1346.

Doesn't really matter cuz I'going to have a great time in Thailand and Cambodia with you, George, even though it's looking more and more like I owe the IRS 9G's by Oct. 24. My preparer screwed up big time.
  5. George 99

Oddometer:
    Too bad, Danny, 'bout the IRS. One reason I always do my own. (The one time I had'em done by a CPA, I also did'em myself and we were within a few bucks of the same bottom line.)

Anyhoo, folks, now three of us fur sur for Cambodia: myself, Danny, and good friend Dace Raven. 'Nother friend Ol' Geezer will be in Thailand too. All four from ST-Owners.com. Anyone here interested?

Dean and Dave, principals from the event, say, "The More, The Merrier." Last I looked, there wer 37 signed up, More now with us. Dean said last year there were 8 of'em. There will not be a crowd/parade as folks will break up into smaller groups to ride,,, this is gonna be a loosely organized event, similar to what we do all'a time at SToners. :D
  6. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    I'll be heavily weighted toward doing it myself next time. :eek1

Olegeezer is a definite for the Cambodia ride...
    Capt. Olegeezer is organizing a bare sail boat tour in the gulf sometime during the three months both of us are in Thailand. This chapter is also open for more participation.

I am leaning forward toward an Air China ticket at $1155 departs JFK 1/8 arrives in BKK 11:45PM 1/9, the very same minute that Joes' flight lands. I'll be waving at you as you approach on the other runway, Joe. At least I hope there are two runways...:dunno:huh
  7. George 99

Oddometer:
    So far, four of us from ST-Owners are in, and I know three of the four are also subscribed here. (Joe, do you ADV?)

Tickets are getting purchased, insurance is being perused, used bike markets in Thai and Cam are raising their prices. It's gonna be a good ride.

I'm going (I think) for two months, hope to see some of the jungle I avoided in the 60s. Land mines still active in some parts so the ADV is there fur sur.

Anyone else want in? Check it out:
    Ride For Cambodia Fan Page at Face Book;
    forum.rideforcambodia.com for more details and data.

Pics will follow in short order. :D
  8. Tiger-Adventure

Tiger-Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    :ear that's interesting :) Hi from Thailand, I'm just a new coming here. hello to all :)
  9. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Hey Tiger, Welcome to the riders madhouse. Are you in Bangkok in January when we fly in?
    We can discuss at lunch or whatever :) :D
  10. Tiger-Adventure

Tiger-Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    @Danny, I live in another province but next to Bangkok up north just about 30 min away :)

sure, just send me your confirmed schedule to Thailand and you're welcome, cheers to all :)
  11. George 99

Oddometer:
    Cool. More inside contacts, always handy to know a local in far away places. (Sure works for us here in the US when traveling to new places.)

Looking forward to meet all youse folks while in Thailand.
  12. George 99

Oddometer:
    (Inside Info) Raven just sent us a link for buying in SEA: Go To Malaysia,,, 2 days, no hassles, complete with insurance and registration for a year.
  13. Jac Cambo

Jac Cambo Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    I'm curious as to how the money gets raised?

Does each rider "buy" the tour from the organisers? Or is it more a case of securing pledged donations?

I'm in Cambodia permanently and did offer to put up a poster in my bar - as I know many people who would like to do it for a laugh and a good cause. They would need a good deal of info on the NGO's the cash would go to, however.
  14. George 99

Oddometer:
    Jacl, the real details are at http://forums.rideforcambodia.com. This news article from the Phnom Penh Post sez a lot too.

Don't know where all we'll be in Cam but could see ya there in January. :D
  15. George 99

Oddometer:
    Jacl, just read your RRs from 2011, sounds a treat to ride all over Cambodia. Really looking forward this trip.
  16. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Ditto Georges comments. Thanks Jacl, for the Cambodia RR's I am really enjoying them and getting psyched for this RideforCambodia in January.

Any issues with, oh you know, the usual...minefields, impassable roads, crooked cops?
  17. Jac Cambo

Jac Cambo Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    No, I haven't been stopped by "traffic police" in over two years. Those are the ones in blue shirts, btw.

They may have tried to stop me a few times alright.

Outside the capital it's almost never an issue ans a dollar fixes all, though the greedy ones may ask for $50 to start.

I reckon I could get a few expats up for this - a Khmer speaker makes things a lot easier and funny.

Depending on cash and commitments; I could slap something together for a few hundred bucks that may be fun to ride off road here. Next month will tell a lot.

Mines? No. Minefields are well marked. Not quite the hassle they were a decade ago.
  18. George 99

Oddometer:
    Jacl, sure would like to meet up with you. We're gonna need a spot to for a local beer. We're gonna be in country at least 2 weeks, maybe longer as there's no hurry to get back to Thai after the event.

As to bikes, small with knobbies is the recommendation from the event leaders. They have something set up to buy and resell so we won't get stuck with something we have to give away.
  19. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    Just booked a room with two twin beds at the New Siam Riverside for Joe and I from Jan 9th to Jan 15th at which time we can re-evaluate the lodging situation as folks arrive or between now and January.

We don't have to sleep together, Joe...It's optional!

I did not opt for the hotel shuttle service (about 925 Baht) since Joe and I are going to have to meet up at the airport and who knows when that'll happen since we are on two different airlines. If they are both reasonably on-time we will have no problems. Besides, research shows a typical:

Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK) - Central Bangkok: 200-400 baht, plus highway tolls of 70 baht
  20. Digiamo

Digiamo Dan nyc

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/..._apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwibmV0Lm9zbWFuZCJd to my Sammy GS3 Droid. Then I grabbed the maps for Thai, Cam, Laos and Myanmar.
    I shut all data and cell functions off on the phone to simulate "lost in the back hills" and it looks like I have truly off line mapping on the phone.
    No need to have a cell or WiFi connection to have a functional GPS system on my phone.

Now that the last of my midnight oil is burning dimly, I can sleep knowing my GPS issues are solved ... at least for now.
    I'll get to play with this more on the 'morrow.

Then I can focus on a translator app. :)