Land Rover Lust!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mav, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be doing pretty well - I've owned fifteen of them - one of them twice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

nice pictures:clap, i only had 3 land rovers sinces 1974
    ed
  3. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That picture was taken in 1976 - I sold that truck in 1978 and tracked it down fifteen years later and bought it back.

It's currently undergoing a frame up restoration - on the original non-rusty frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a more recent shot

[​IMG]
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funnily enough the only car I have ever tried to buy was a series 1 last year that is rotting away in a friend's field, I didn't want it and know it would be a millstone but wanted to rescue it. The owner who has several Land Rovers says he is "going to do something with it one day" which is a load of bollocks, it will sit there for another five years then go to the scrap heap beyond repair.
  5. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! I love the PTO off the back. Is that a Rover option or an aftermarket?
  6. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rover factory option - this truck was one of about 200 that were sold to the state of Florida in 1967 for dragging bush hogs down the edges of interstate highways. They were all painted a bright yellow and had a rear PTO drive. I've met a couple of other owners of these trucks through the years. 1967 was the last year the pickup cab version was available in the US.

[​IMG]
  7. d110pickup

d110pickup n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I used to own the 88!
    Mike

[​IMG]
  8. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I was going to call BS on that gas mileage, but I recently took the rooftop tent off and got an easy everyday 18mpg (previously I was getting 15mpg) without any funny business. It's amazing what taking 120 bulky pounds off the roof will do. :lol3 I look forward to getting 400-mile tanks again.

I did cut it pretty close yesterday, but there were still a few gallons left in the tank.
    [​IMG]

One of these days when I'm carrying a gas can I'll run it completely out to see where that line really is.
  9. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:

Like I said, it's the extreme high end. I wasn't going downhill, though -- it was mild rolling interstate at moderate speeds (65-70mph). Any significant change in speed, altitude or incline and that would not be a sustainable number. The key I've found is really making sure it kicks down --- with a hair too much throttle (or CC) it'll sit at 2100rpms versus 1750 or so. It's a "hidden kickdown" if that makes any sense. I found this would cost me 1-2 mpg.

Driving from AZ to WA last week, towing 6,000lbs, I got 13.5 mpg over 1800 miles. That's as good or better than most if not all full-size gas V8 pickups.

I agree, 400 mi tanks are the real prize.
  10. George Papadopolis

George Papadopolis between

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:ear
  11. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gave the old girl a wash yesterday. First time in weeks. Still scrubs up nicely :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    That's a very clean example of a Series II Disco :thumb
  13. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Looking good - will you be adding dislocation cones?
  14. MatatuPuncher

MatatuPuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 1986 model 90 until I recently moved back to the U.S.

[​IMG]
  15. MatatuPuncher

MatatuPuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, trust me I really wanted to. Main issue was that it had a non-original engine (Nissan diesel) which makes it much more difficult to import even considering it met the 25 year old DOT exemption age.
  16. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Test drove an Evoque and really want.
  17. George Papadopolis

George Papadopolis between

Oddometer:
    Sure wish we could get maloryII to write about his LR3
  18. MatatuPuncher

MatatuPuncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, agreed. I did quite a bit of research but was not 100% sure it would fly. Wasn't worth the risk to me. I have a friend who brought back a 1974 model 88 (i think) and is having quite a bit of problems. Its been in his driveway for 8 months with no plate.
  19. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I definitely will. Finally settling in after my move.

Superlative truck. It deserves its on Shiny Things thread for sure -- primarily because it will sleep two 6'-6'3" males comfortably without any modification whatsoever.

Perfect example: right now. I live in Tacoma WA but I date girls/hang out with friends in Seattle. I like drinking to excess but can't/won't drive drunk. So here's my routine: drive to Capitol Hill (SEA), find a quiet side street to park, fold the seats flat (10 seconds), lay out my matress pad, sleeping bag, and pillows and then go hit the town.

Several hours later, drunk as fuck, I stumble back to my LR3 aka Camper and crawl into my sleeping bag (if I haven't been invited elsewhere, if ya know what I mean). Not stuffed in like you'd imagine sleeping in a car; but all comfy and good to go (I'm 6'2"). Lying on my back I can't even get close to touching the headliner with my arm. I'm doing it as we speak -- typing this out on my iPad (3G although I could steal the wireless from the Sbucks down on Roy Street). I've got my shirt/pants on a hangar and even have a cooler with some juice & couple pieces of fruit/yogurt waiting for me in the morning.

But you know what the best part is? I won't even have to K-turn this bitch tomorrow morning. The steering radius is like ~35 feet.

For the ADV crew -- you can stuff an inflatable full size air mattress in the back and still have more headroom than a tent and ALMOST as much headroom as a single axle pop-up. The LR3 will tow 15 motorcycles and give you about the same mpg as any fullsize diesel

Plus it's a fucking Land Rover. Questions regarding the LR3's off road prowess in 100% stock form on 28" or whatever tires should be directed to YouTube. This truck has way better geometry than any fuckin' JKU or FJCruiser... and trying sleeping in the back of one of those.

The AJV8 is a real motor. A real motor. And it doesn't break. The only weak spot on the LR3 are thermostats (cheap, easy) and the front control arm bushings. As long as you buy the control arms yourself and have the dealer replace those (vice paying them to remove/install bushings that require the blood toil tears and sweat of twenty men) you're good to go. The ability to legitimately sleep COMFORTABLY in a vehicle that is A) a Land Rover, B) extremely capable in a 4x4 setting, C) capable of hauling my entire life in a Uhaul (~6000lbs or so) and, perhaps most importantly to me as a single guy: C) sexy/status symboly enough to some sorority broad I'm trying to lay ---- that's a pretty fucking sweet combo. You're not checking those boxes in an Econoline, a Winnebago, an FGaycruiser, or an F350 Lariat.

And they're cheap. RIDICULOUSLY cheap for what you get. Good 2006-2008s are down in the high teens.

Whelp, see you guys tomorrow morning!
    Mugwest likes this.
  20. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    You make a compelling argument chap and I've always liked the LR3... but the real question is, if you can only have one, a 110 or an LR3, which will it be??