Best Shop Tricks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lightsorce, Jul 31, 2007.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Spill proof tank draining on a BMW.

Use an old Quick Disconnect and a piece of hose to drain the tank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
  2. stsmike

stsmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this in the NGWclub.com site (Goldwing), so its not mine. A member there purchased some Lester wheels for his GW. He wanted to polish the outer edge, while powder-coating the spokes and hub. The wheel was pretty beat up, so he had a lot of work to do. He built this ingenious rig to spin the wheel while he sanded/polished it.

He clamped a board to his drill presses table. This board extended out a few feet from the press. He drilled a hole in the end that protruded away from the press and installed a bolt that could be used as an "axle". He slid the wheel (with bearings) over the bolt and secured it with a washer and a nut; thus allowing the wheel to spin freely on the bearings. A belt slipped over the wheel and then the chuck (although I would feel better about chucking up a small pulley and shaft) allows the drill press to spin the wheel!

This would allow sanding and polishing go very much faster and would keep things "even".

Sorry, I thought I knew how to post pics :cry

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/k/kozmic1520_IMG_2723Medium.jpg

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/k/kozmic1520_IMG_2732Medium.jpg

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/k/kozmic1520_IMG_2735Medium.jpg

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/k/kozmic1520_IMG_2739Medium.jpg

Stolen (shamelessly) from here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38587&start=75
  3. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    stsmike,

Good repost. That gives me some good ideas. There's a lot you can do with a drill press. Btw, I have a "radial arm" drill press that has a 17" reach. Came from Harbor Frt for about $225. Best deal I ever got from them.
  4. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

You used this [​IMG] Instead of this[​IMG]

5. stsmike

stsmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scooter!! :freaky
  6. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh? Doesn't the fuel normally come out the line that is floating in the air and go into the tank where you connected a hose? It is the return line from the fuel pressure regulator that is dangling in your photo, isn't it. Or do I have it wrong? :dunno
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No, when unplugged a QD is sealed. I used a male QD to plug into the female QD to get the fuel going.

8. Interceptor

Interceptor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While doing an ABS system flush on a friends RT, we floated a plastic bottle cap in the front brake reservoir .
    This stopped brake fluid from squirting out when squeezing the brake lever.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! :clap I had a bike once that would fountain brake fluid from the res on the most gentle of squeezes, it was very frustrating.
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I like that better than dropping a coin in the reservoir. I shall be doing the plastic trick in the next couple days.:clap

Hum....maybe I'll even cut a piece of plastic just the right size and keep that with the other "special tools".:wink:
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Damn, great idea!:clap

12. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought a squirt like that ment air in the system?
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    not necessarily air . . . some (most) ,maser cylinders will discharge fluid from the hole that supplies it to the piston bore, until the piston covers the hole . . . this isn't often seen, as the reservoir is most often covered during use, yes?
  14. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    10 second master link pliers - cost $0.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Explain their purpose.
  16. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    I need to devote a couple hours to reading this thread! Got about 15 pages in and there is some great info in here. I will try to remember any tricks of my own to share if they haven't been covered already.
  17. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I find the 5 gallon water cooler tubs to be awesome for taking oil to be recycled. The small opening at the top makes it unlikely any will slosh over and spill in the Jeep and it'seasy to pour thatnks to said opening. The square shape also makes it easy to push the passenger seat forward and clamp the oil between the dash and the passenger seat.

Just make sure you don't return the bottle after you're done storing oil in it! I spraypaint 'oil' on mine to make sure it's never returned.
  18. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    I use plastic cat litter containers, the opening is larger, also square and less likely to be reused as a water container. Since we use them all the time, after a visit to Jiffy Lube for a dump I go next door to the recycling bins. :D
  19. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    installing and removing master link clips. i have modified them a little more so the one unground side is now shorter than the other. instant on/off for master link clips. i now have 45 seconds into their construction. not pretty but very effective.

[​IMG]
  20. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Never had any trouble just poppin’ ‘em off & on with a screwdriver. :1drink