Bandit 1250

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by flaadvandmtbrider, Oct 30, 2007.

1. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    My setup is 36" across the back out to out no wider than a Strom with Jesse bags I know I had a two Stroms with Jesse bags they were 37". Also had a Strom with Givi E360's at 42" across. The bags on my Bandit are the Givi PLX series that tuck in snug to the curve of the bike. Topcase is not on the bike unless I travel and yes you need the extra storage out on the road who cares what it looks like. Extra pair of underware is worth it. It will out handle a V-Strom like a GSXR out handles a cruiser. Bandit is not as comfortable as a V-Strom but I can live with that. One twist of the throttle and you will forget the V-Strom quickly and it will disappear in the Bandits mirror.
  2. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Funny guy......wait till 300 million Americans go north looking for gainful employment. You guys got a guest worker visa program yet? Eh? :lol3
  3. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    I rode a Bandit 1250 on Sunday at a breakfast ride I go to. A friend let me take hers out for a spin, and I was completely impressed. I have never looked seriously at inline 4's, because I seem to be very sensitive to the vibration they typically put out (makes my hands go to sleep quickly). The new Bandit was virtually vibration free from 0 to 100 mph, and may be fine all the way to redline but I didn't push it past the ton. The motor was superb, and abundant torque was available from idle up to any point in the rev range. Shifting was typical Suzuki, which translates to among the best in the business. The suspension was a bit harsh, but that might be related to it being set up for a 140 pound woman as opposed to a 225 pound me. The bike tracked exceptionally well, and gassing it around corners left a permanent smile on my face. The power comes on so controlled and progressively that the bike feels like it is on rails. Riding on the highway is a joy, and unless you are well into "go to jail" speeds, the engine is just loping along. She had barbacks on hers, and a recontoured seat, which wasn't uncomfortable, but just a bit awkward for my height, 6'-1".

The only thing I didn't like was the stock windshield, but that can be easily fixed once the aftermarket catches up. All in all a super package, and the Suzuki (aka - Givi) luggage looks very sharp on the bike. I could be seriously tempted, and it gives me something to think about since I all but had my heart set on a Triumph Tiger.

Well done Suzuki, and a bargain to boot!

George
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 1250 is one of the best looking new, mostly naked bikes I have seen in a long time.

Im not crazy about the faring/windscreen, but it's certainly not bad.

[​IMG]

Im seriously considering one....they look really comfy and a 1250 Suzuki motor?

Fuggetabootit.
  5. Bags

Bags recovering masshole

Oddometer:
    Bandits are great bikes and it always seemed a little wierd to me that they're so much more popular in the UK than in the States. Too practical? Not niche enough?

Dunno...but as a former teacher now back in school I needed a bike that cost just a bit less than Roy Q's upgrades:rofl --don't get me wrong, great setup!

Anyway scored a 2001 garaged bandit 600s with 8k miles for a reasonable price and though I'd rather have the B12/1250....practical sport touring and great everyday ride (my only wheels).

T

BTW -- I "sat" a 1250.....did it feel just a bit topheavy to anyone else?
  6. rivers

rivers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bike!

[​IMG]
    dixiethedog likes this.
  7. gas_pig70

gas_pig70 Mmm... mud!

Oddometer:
    Eh? I found the old FZ1 very user friendly. It liked to be used.. and used.. and used.
    gen1fizzy likes this.
  8. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you buy lowers for the American version?

That topbox has to go,,,otherwise very nice.
  9. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, from Suzuki, they are not cheap close to $500. You can also go with a chin spoiler instead of the fairing lowers.

Topcase is not that bad for touring you never know its back there since the bike is very well weight balanced. I'll take function over image any day.
    AZbiker likes this.
  10. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you pay around $7K plus tax and then around $600 for lowers and $600 for hard bags and mounts seems like you would have a top knotch sport touring bike for far less than an FJ, ST, Connie, or anything else.

Doesn't have a roundel though!
  11. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing I like about the hard bags is that they cover up the ugly pipe(s). Cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust system too.
  12. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only $500? That's not bad at all IMO. That is a nice looking bike for the $$. I rock a top box daily, so I could care less about looks. They work, period.
  13. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very true that is the reason I bought one, value on the dollar.:clap It's alot of motorcycle for the money. I don't want the lowers, I have a bike already with lowers (GSX-R1000) and it reminds me how much I hate lowers everytime I change the oil and filter. I had to put the antifreeze back in the GSXR this past weekend (track season is over) man what a pain in the arse. The Bandit is simple when it comes to an oil change. Suzuki did keep a bit of Bandit heritage on the new one, the gazillion wires and plumbing is still atop the valve cover under the fuel tank. In fact they put the radiator cap under the tank atop the valve cover. Very strange but if you had an older Bandit you'd understand they had to keep some similarities:eek1

I like to hit the highway from time to time on a trip and the Bandit suits me just fine for the task at hand. I do at times miss my V-Stroms, they were great bikes for long haul runs. I like the Bandits sportier stance and its handling in the curves over the V-Stroms. Dale Walker makes a touring pipe for the Bandit for the guys who have bags I just have not decided if I want the noise or not yet. The big stock can does get very close to dragging in tight right handers. With the Michelin Pilot Powers I have on this bike right now lean angles are unreal and very stable, very similar to my GSXR, well maybe close:D
  14. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    how quick does it eat tires?
  15. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest not real sure yet. The stock Dunlop D218's were a cheap budget tire and I took them off at 2465 miles rear had a plug in it from a fish hook puncture and it only had about 2mm tread left front was not much better. I have 500 hard twisty two up miles on the Michelin Pilot Powers (Road 2's were not available at the time I needed tires before the trip) and the rear lost 1mm tread in 500 miles. Sides wore the same since we were riding in the N.Ga., N.C. where its curvy. I expect to at least get 3k miles on the rear Power, excellent tire but more track oriented than touring. hopefully by the time I need tires the Michelin road 2's will be available here stateside. Dual compound touring tire sounds great to me. It will never get 7~9k miles on a rear like a V-Strom but I am prepared for that. I'm sure there are higher mileage tires available but I like side grip too much to venture off for a rock hard tire. I don't mind changing tires, I am used to it from doing trackdays and the old racing days on sportbikes. I am hoping to at least get 5k on the rear with the Road 2's.

I am a hard core Michelin tire user, my truck has Michelins, my dirtbike has Michelins, my GSXR has Michelins and I roadraced on Michelins so you sort of see a trend here with me.:wink:
  16. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chains are the biggest wear item on my Bandit.
    I've tries Stock, DID, Tsubaki Sigma and RK. All lasted 10~12K and the RK I killed in 7K.
    Yes I know how to care for a chain, I've been doing it for 30 years and usually get around 20K per chain, not so on this bike.
    There is no mis-alignment and the slack is checked with me on the bike set to 1 in. For lube I use Maxima Chain Wax. The chain is cleaned every 500 miles and lubed every 300~600 miles depending on how far I ride that day.
    65,000 miles and I just installed my 6th chain.
  17. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem on my '99 and '00 1200 Bandits. Stock RK chain would be kinking at 7~9k miles. I've noticed on the 1250 it only had 4 marks on the swingarm showing left for adjustment brand new and in 3k miles mine is down to 3 marks left so its stretching. New Bandit has a 18T front sprocket which in theory should reduce chain wear because of the larger radius. Older bikes had a 15T front I think can't remember exactly right now.
  18. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has a 15T, I went up 1 on the rear to 46T so if I used a 16T front and 48T rear I could keep the same ratio I have now and maybe reduce the wear. It would be nice to have my chains out-last my tires.
  19. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is correct, your final ratio would be 3.00 both ways which is stock for the 1200.

Larger front sprocket reduces chain wear to some extent. Torque on the Bandits is not helping with wear.
  20. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roy. Try a Scottoiler. 4500 hard miles on my 1250 and no sign of wear. Not even any adjustment yet.
    By the way, which of you zooks will you sell if Suzuki bring out the Stratosphere?:D