Personal diesel truck

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Tallbastid, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Fixed for you! Shhh, don't tell the spouse. :rofl
  2. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    look what type of time VW had trying to sell there early Rabbit and Golfs. I do think that is the reason we don't have them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Yeah but now tdi's are very popular, it seems the us market is warming up to diesel.
  4. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    One of your buddies better be a midget to fit in the back seat of that thing. :D

I have the exact same truck.
    01 Laramie SLT longbed camper special w/5.9 Cummins. :D
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Funny! I need to hang with you jokers as long as the hookers don't exceed 120 lbs. each. If we are talking about 300 lb. hookers and minimal quantities of beer then ai pass ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the reason as I understand it. Prior to '06 the US had about zero emissions regs on diesels. So the soot spewing and good mileage was plentiful. However, once the tighter regs from EPA kicked in post '06 we went from 0 regs (for all practical purposes) to the most stringent in the world. This forced practically every auto maker out initially and made the diesel PU market get ridiculous EGR systems that radically overcomplicated a simple engine, killed the good mileage, and led to all sorts of reliability issues (see Ford 6.0 pre EGR in school buses vs. post EGR in PU - what a train wreck).

Anyway - now that high gas costs have affected the love for the big V8s and the demand for small diesels might actually exist - nothing out there can be readily dropped in and meet the regs. I don't know if Europe has the same regs as we do now - and I wonder about that since Ford is bringing in the 5-cyl diesel in the new transit from Europe and Dodge is bringing in the VM Motori in their new van...so take all this with a grain of salt (or two)
  7. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
  8. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Because the market demands that you can pull a 15000lb 5th wheel up a 20% grade at 80mph?
  9. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    FIFY...

I'd be happy with a new version of a 1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, mechaniclally shift on the fly transfer case, with a 1.5L turbo diesel engine that gets 50 - 60mpg. Should be easy with today's tech.

Maybe someday the rumors about Subaru will finally come true...
  10. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Great little cars. The little gas motor got great mileage--we had one we inherited from my grandfather that ran well for over 300000km despite a distinct lack of maintenance. That extra low gear and the light weight made it surprisingly capable.
  11. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    The Isuzu diesel troopers were supposed to be the cats meow, go almost anywhere and 4X and diesel.
  12. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what you blokes need...
    [​IMG]

OR

The dual cab (5 seater version)
    [​IMG]

If they'll bring a diesel Tundra to Oz I'll talk to Mr Toyota about letting you have the 70 series...:lol3