Traveling through Mexico...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BMWpitt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BMWpitt

BMWpitt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats up Y'all,

So I am planning a trip to Tierra Del Fuego from Pittsburgh and wanted to see if anyone recommends some must see places/roads along the way. This is my first long distance motorcycle trip btw. I am particularly interested in everyone's feedback on Mexico. It is such a large country and I want to it justice and not miss anything. I am doing this trip solo and would been interested in joining up with other riders along the way. Do you guys have any advice on meeting people along the way?
    All of your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Hi BMWpitt,

Seeing that you are a new you should try looking in the Trip Planning forum. Your post most likely will get moved there.

I'm going to Mexico next month, when were you planning on riding there and will you ride Baja?

Cheers
  3. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I did Chicago to Chiapas (and then Central and South America) almost a year ago--great trip, and one which is still on-going. Mexico has so much to offer. Unless you have unlimited time it's hard to decide what to see and where to go. Right now your biggest decision, I think, is where to drop into Mexico. Do you go all the way west and go down the Baja and then take the ferry across from La Paz, or do you drop in through Douglas, Arizona and ride through the Copper Canyon, which should not be missed?

I'm sure you have already done so, but check out the many excellent ride reports here on ADV on Mexico. Here are a few I would recommend from tricepilot:

Treasures of the Sierra Madre

Copper Canyon & Bitopilas

On Mexican Time
  4. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Copper Canyon is a must do.
  5. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
  6. BMWpitt

BMWpitt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Lexluther,

Thanks for the advice....there is a ton of great resources found in Trip Planning. I plan on crossing the border into Mexico by mid February I all goes as planned. How long is your trip going to be and will it include any Central American countries?
  7. BMWpitt

BMWpitt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Parcero!

So you have completed the trip I am planning to do. Congrats! I have a barrage of questions for you but will keep them to a minimum. I definitely want to go through copper canyon. I have some reservations about riding solo through this area for fear of encountering some gnarly water crossings. I ride a F800gs and worry if about tipping the bike over fully loaded in a river. Was your trip to South America solo? And did you encounter any serious water crossings? Did you ship you bike back from South America or did you ride back? What was the cost?:D:1drink

Thanks,

BMWpitt
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a likelihood of snow in the Copper Canyon area in Feb.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finding a ride partner enroute does happen but unlikely from my experience. More likely to find a partner here for all/part of the trip-IF you want one which is highly discussionable notion. The safety net is bigger, english conversation is nice at times but the independence of direction,time,speed of travel,where to eat,activities & lodging choice narrows. Have fun. I may go on your schedule to MX,GT,& Belize only. Date undecided as yet.
  10. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:

I'm leaving Vancouver on Dec 21st and will be gone 2 months, I'll be exploring Mexico and a few weeks of R&R in Belize. From there I'm not sure all depends on how fast the money goes but maybe to Panama?

Cheers
  11. randyisanomad

randyisanomad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Palenque and Tikal are must see.
    Food-wise, you won't eat anywhere better than Oaxaca. (Although you can find great food anywhere in Mexico.)
  12. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical...

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm seeing like 5 or 6 of these threads going at once and it's hard to keep them all straight. I made a facebook page (I know, I know...) so that those of us heading down about the same time and place could coordinate.Join it here:

http://www.facebook.com/AdVriderWint...MexicoAndSouth

I planned on going solo but would not object to finding riding partners for fun and safety.
  13. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Yes, I did the trip solo. I did not encounter any water crossings except for in Colombia, which were not really necessary. I could have gone up the road and used a bridge, but the water was more fun.

My bike is still in South America, as I have been doing a staged trip to Ushuaia and back. Next stage will be Cuenca, Ecuador to Mendoza, Argentina later this month. I will probably ride back, rather than ship the bike, sometime before May 2013.

14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I "do" ADV & email & I "DON'T DO" facebook...nor twit nor, well you get the idea that I'm behind the times somewhat, but suits me:wink:
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Facebook is a bad idea.
  16. going south

Oddometer:
    I am exactly the same, I don't think we are behind the time's, Just ahead of the curve, the others will figure it out in time...
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a steep curve for a lot of them.
  18. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    What is this "Facebook" thing you speak of? :dunno
  19. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical...

Oddometer:
    Ha ha... I get it. I just though it was a good way to get everyone on the same page (literally :evil) and have up to the minute info. I pretty much just use it when I travel, and during those times (close to six months out of each year) it's a valuable tool. Here is fine too...

I guess I'll start *another* "traveling south to Panama and back" thread in trip planning :huh

*I must be younger than a lot of you even though I feel pretty aged. Kinda makes me feel good about myself :1drink
    Thanks!
  20. going south

Oddometer:
    I am not old! just well seasoned!!:lol3