Moonshine: I need the how to

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Patrol, Jun 10, 2013.

1. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Most hobbies that make something usually aren't. That's not the point.
  2. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mild flavor of car radiator with a rusty barrel finish.
  3. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
  4. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real shine is hard to come by. I have a sneaking feeling that most of the folks doing flavored moonshine are starting out with a bottle of Everclear.

Apple Pie is my wifes favorite...but it ain't shine.
  5. Surfdog

Surfdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    youtube !
  6. Lafitte

Lafitte on the lake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

this email came recently.......
    Hello,
    As many of you are probably already aware, the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau), which is the federal government agency that controls virtually all things related to alcohol, formally requested the list of sales of distillers, distillation columns, and boilers. The request encompasses all sales of these products (and these products only- supplies and other equipment are not required to be documented) for the past three years, and quarterly reports from this point on. This appears to have been an industry wide movement, as all of the major producers and distributors have received the same request. We are contacting you to let you know that, based on your purchase date and the product(s) that you purchased, your information will be included on our list to the TTB.
    We have fielded a very large number of phone calls and e-mails asking what the TTB intends to do with this information. This is something that we cannot answer. There are many theories being discussed on various forums, including our own (www.brewhausforum.com), however, they are not currently substantiated. Even though it should not have a significant effect to those not using the equipment to distill alcohol or those who have already obtain proper licensing, it can still prove to be an inconvenience should the government act on the information.
    One possible positive side to this action is that it has energized many people who support hobby distillation (who are obviously the most concerned over the request), and there is now some movement to press for legalization of hobby distillation. If you would be interested in supporting this movement, please visit our forum.
    While this is obviously beyond our control, we are sorry to be the bearer of such news.
    Sincerely,
    Brewhaus
  7. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    My uncle had a still in Arkansas. Tried to teach me the art, long story short, the rest of the still can be a total cludge, as long as the condenser was right, it would do the job. Good condensers are often passed from one generation to the next, with some being more than 100 years old.

Same guy taught me to shoot too, sure miss that ole guy!
  8. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    Forget the corn, use sugar and yeast, tastes the same, and is much cheaper. Cold water condenser works the best. It is outside the law to make moonshine.
  9. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Outside Lexington, KY with some friends when one summed it up nicely; "Tastes like fresh cut corn." Not bad at all.
  10. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I don't drink much but sure like a little moonshine.:clap I may even have some here however it was "legal" where I got it. Rice whisky....clear or colored???:1drinkMoutai anyone???:1drinkOr just maybe some Lab grade Ethanol???:1drink

Funny on my way back from Mexico years ago the "border agents" at both borders sniffed all my water containers. Got no real answer when I asked them why.:evil

Had some of the local stuff at christmas....made with plums. Tasted like real bad tequila, rotgut allright but may have been my empty stomach.:evil

Couple books here, the one on the right is a Lindsay reprint (1889). Lots of info but sadly Lindsay is out of business so N/A.

The one on the left, from back then in France(1927) when the still would travel from farm to farm and distill the local mashes. Has all the recipes to turn straight alcools into fancy "liqueurs".:1drink Cheap bookstore find that book but I did spend the price of a good bottle getting it restored.:wink:

[​IMG]
  11. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P-nGbAf81Zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Lafitte

Lafitte on the lake

Oddometer:
    27 CFR 29.47: Notice requirement; manufacture of stills. (emphasis added)
    (a) General. When required by letter issued by the appropriate TTB officer and until notified to the contrary by the appropriate TTB officer, every person who manufactures any still, boiler (double or pot still), condenser, or other apparatus to be used for the purpose of distilling shall give written notice before the still or distilling apparatus is removed from the place of manufacture.
    (b) Preparation. The notice will be prepared in letter form, executed under the penalties of perjury, and show the following information:
    (1) The name and address of the manufacturer;
    (2) The name and complete address of the person by whom the apparatus is to be used, and of any other person for, by, or through whom the apparatus is ordered or disposed of;
    (3) The distilling purpose for which the apparatus is to be used (distillation of spirits, redistillation of spirits or recovery of spirits, including denatured spirits and articles containing spirits or denatured spirits);
    (4) The manufacturer's serial number of the apparatus;
    (5) The type and kind of apparatus;
    (6) The distilling capacity of the apparatus; and
    (7) The date the apparatus is to be removed from the place of manufacture.
    (c) Filing. The notice will be filed in accordance with the instructions in the letter of the appropriate TTB officer. A copy of the notice will be retained at the place of manufacture as provided by ยง 29.59.

13. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    Video crapped out at 39 minute mark.

I am curious: 4 - 5 gallons of distilled water were used.

How much 'shine does this yield? :freaky

I saw only 3 - 4 quart mason jars in total.
  14. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 My cousin has a popcorn sutton original still.....:deal
    he runs acouple of batches a year for friends and family..
  15. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not very many make shine anymore around here. You can do it on a small scale but it takes about the same amount of time as making a real batch and since the meth outbreak you can't hide it vlike you could.

20 years ago I knew about 50 stills in this county and I had one of them. Today I know of one full time. kind of sad really.

[​IMG]
  16. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    meth cookers drawing heat to moonshiners?
    that's not sad,, the UNAMERIKAN! :1drink
  17. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes it is. And Fuck You.
  18. valongbeard

valongbeard mild mannered

Oddometer:
    I watched the whole thing without crapping out. He stopped after 5 quarts. He kept cooking and collected more of the "tails" for his next run, but didn't show how much of that he ran. Setup is very much like what I run, but the wash/mash is different. I'm still tinkering and learning. Shine on.
  19. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Get a copy of "the Alaskan Bootleggers Bible". Much info on this subject and a highly entertaining read.
  20. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Zealand is the only country where a person can legally distill for consumption. You can buy stills just about anywhere, but its illegal to use one for making drinkable booze. Even in Canada. Distribution has nothing do do with it.