Modern Quilt Designs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Lobster Grrl, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Modern Quilt Designs vendor page!
    Thanks for taking the time to check out my handmade quilts. I enjoy creating unique modern quilts with contemporary fabrics. I offer finished quilts at a reasonable price, and also take orders for custom quilts. I have a professional longarm quilting machine, and can finish quilt tops that have been pieced by others.

If you see a quilt that has been posted and want it in a different size or colors, post a message or send a PM.

Happy Home = More Time on the Bike :D

Currently for Sale:

1. Queen size "Diamonds in the Square" quilt POST 1 SOLD
    2. Halloween Couch Throw "Chevron" POST 25 SOLD
    3. Halloween Couch Throw "Diamonds" POST 25 SOLD
    4. Christmas Couch Throw Chevron post 29

FAQ's:

Do you have a website?
    Yes! http://www.modernquiltdesigns.com
    I have an Etsy store located at http://www.modernquiltdesigns.etsy.com You can view what's available for sale and my bio.
    I'm also on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/modernquiltdesigns

What is your email address?
    I can be reached via PM on ADV or at modernquiltdesigns@gmail.com

What size quilts can you make?
    I am able to sew quilts up to 92 inches wide on my longarm machine. Any length is fine.

How long have you been sewing quilts?
    I created my first quilt in 1990 and have enjoyed the hobby ever since.

Is this your full-time job?
    No. I work 40 hours a week in healthcare and make quilts as a hobby.

How long does it take you to make a quilt?
    A queen size quilt usually 3-4 weeks. I do most of my sewing Friday to Sunday.

What do you use for materials?
    I use high thread count cotton fabric for the front and back of the quilt. The batting in the middle is 80% cotton 20% polyester. Thread is usually cotton wrapped polyester. All materials are made or designed in the USA.

Do you make quilts for injured soldiers?
    Yes, I participate in Quilts of Valor http://www.qovf.org/ and volunteer my quilting services for one quilt every month. If you know of a wounded American soldier who would like a quilt please go to the website and fill out the necessary information. Quilts of Valor donates about 650 quilts every month, many of them are shipped to Germany and given to soldiers while they are still in the hospital. We have donated over 68,000 quilts since we started.

Can you make a quilt for my sidecar?
    Yes. Let me know what colors you want and I can make you a 45x60 quilt that will fit nicely. I can also add an extra layer of insulation if you want a quilt for cooler temperatures.

Can you make a quilt for my cat or dog?
    Yes. I can make a quilt for your pet. These are wonderful for keeping pet hair off the couch and off the car upholstery. Let me know what size works for you.

Can you make a quilt for my Granny in a wheelchair?
    Yes, I can make a lap quilt for anyone in a wheelchair. Let me know what colors they would like.

Can I put a quilt on lay-away?
    No problem. We can work out a payment plan on Paypal.

What kind of sewing machine do you use?
    Just like one bike is never enough, neither is one sewing machine.
    Most of my piecing is done on a Bernina, with a Husqvarna as back up. Yes, Husqvarna makes wonderful sewing machines and quite possibly the only gear driven domestic machine on the market. The actual quilting of the 3 layers is done on a Gammill longarm machine. Each layer of the quilt is attached to a 10 foot roller and a the 4 foot long by 2 foot high industrial sewing machine is moved across the quilt to sew the pattern through all 3 layers at once. I use CAD software to create the designs on the quilt. When the quilt is removed from the rollers it is one thick layer.

The Diamond in the Square quilt measure 88x88 and fits a queen size bed. It sells for $397.00 to 475.00 most of the time, depending on cost of materials. It is well constructed and designed to be used everyday. I can make this in a variety of sizes and colors to match your decor. The back is also pieced and quilted with contrasting thread, making this quilt reversible.

This quilt would make a wonderful gift for your spouse or significant other :evil here are some pix:

PM me for more details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    BAhhhh, it's beautiful! Nice work! And you're right, the colors are great. Pretty cheap, if you ask me. This represents a lot of work...
  3. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I grew up watching quilts being made by my mother and her mother. That is some lovely work!

There is something comforting about a handmade quilt that goes beyond it being a blanket, the loving attention that went into making it becomes a part of the good feeling of being under it.
  4. Drippy

Drippy Man

Oddometer:
    Spouse or SO my hiney...I want it for myself!

Gorgeous work there! Maybe that could be an early XMas present for me :)
  5. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your kind words :shog
    I'm a first generation quilter. I wish I would have grown up in a house with a mother or grandmother that quilted. My grandmother on my fathers side dabbled in embroidery, so maybe I got my creative genes from her.

Quilting, like many other hand crafts, is a labor of love. Lot's of hours cutting and sewing. I don't think you could ever charge and hourly rate for the time you spend putting one together. If I didn't enjoy the process so much I certainly wouldn't devote my time to it :lol3

Thanks,
    lg
  6. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Christmas is sooner than you think :nod

Lay-away accepted.

lg
  7. bikergirl4ever

bikergirl4ever girlie girl

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. I wish it had purple or green in it. (one spare room is purple the other is green).
  8. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    I have some really cool purples and greens in my fabric stash. Let me know if you want a quilt.

lg
  9. Drippy

Drippy Man

Oddometer:

Hmm, that's a thought...
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Mom and my ex both quilt. Your working is outfukinstanding. All hand cut and stitched? Doesn't make a bit of difference just curious.
  11. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    very nice quilt indeed! my grandmother and associated relatives had quilting parties when i was very young...i got to play under the quilt while they were sewing :) my mom just turned 80 this month and still quilts, all by herself! she sews the patches together on the machine but all the rest is done by hand. she says it's good therapy and helps with the arthritus iin her fingers/hands. she's famous for her baby quilts, having given away over 200 of them. I gave her $50 for a baby quilt so she can get her hair fixed. to my knowledge, she has never sold a quilt other than to me. She has a waist high stack of quilts in the bedroom--told me i could have any that i wanted but being on my bike, i could not even carry one home :( she also has a closet full of quilt tops ready to quilt up...i told her i want a top and her good sewing machine when she leaves us. :)
  12. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I cut everything out by hand and then stitch it together by machine. I have a few different sewing machines that I use as I progress through the stages of making a quilt. Kind of like needing to have more than one motorcycle...one for the trail, one for the road, one for the track :D it all works out in the end.

lg
  13. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    You are so lucky to have grown up with quilts and have a mother that quilts :clap

OK, I had to cry about not being able to fit a quilt on your bike, especially after I checked out your profile and saw the Goldwing with trailer in tow! You need a packing strategy! When I'm tight on space and need to fit something on my bike, I either get creative with bungee straps, or ship something nonessential home to make more room.

I love finishing up old quilt tops. Sometimes I buy them on Ebay just to finish them myself. I feel like I'm doing my duty to preserve history :lol3 Last week I finished a quilt made out of feed sacks from the 1940's. Lots of stories behind these old quilts.

lg

14. raypitter

raypitter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The quilt is very pretty, looking very nice. The colour combination used for fabric is good. I like it. I think it may be a good gift idea to anyone in winter.
  15. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment.
    You're right, quilts are nice to snuggle under in the winter time, with the one you love :wink:

lg
  16. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice work, Nadine!:clap:clap:clap

SpawnOfEC has taken up quilting. Something she does frequently with 'MomOFEC'.:lol3

That's a screaming deal and would make a fine gift if someone is having trouble finding a home for it in their own home.
  17. Lobster Grrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks EC.
    Glad to hear MomofEC is passing down quilting to SpawnofEC. Kayla is getting into quilting at just the right time, there's a whole movement of youth quilting the last few years. Its reassuring to know the craft is going to continue in future generations.

Ask her to post pix on her FB page, I'd love to see what she made!

lg

18. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '20

Oddometer:
    DAMN NICE, Lobster Grrl!

How much does it weight?

How many hours did it take to produce (approximately)?

-Eff
  19. Flying Dave

Flying Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What would you charge for a king size???
  20. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a labor of love, what a great price ! I cant believe no one grabbed it yet. Bet it will move soon as the cold sets in. Great looking quilt-nice work :thumb