Drives, Dives, and Diners - Daytrippin' in Gawja

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Mr&MrsErnbo, May 9, 2013.

1. Mr&MrsErnbo

Mr&MrsErnbo Iron Butt Association No 48951

Oddometer:
    From the mountains to the flatlands to the coast, we have some of the greatest rides right here in the great state of Georgia! We have the most upscale restaurants to the lowest-of-the-low dives:freaky, and all the fantastic BBQ in between:dg.

This thread is for all us day-trippers! Tell us about your mini-trips, what you saw, what you ate, cool shit you photograph on the way. Try to include your route (general or specific), pics of food and menus, directions or addresses of super cool uniquely Georgia stuff.

Where else can you find giant metal cows, grab a Dragon's tail, drink a craft beer while eating sweet potato fries, cruise the beach, and admire a giant smiling peanut? Only in Georgia, baby.

From a pic of a mural to a full-page report....bring it on!:lurk
    Ernbo6 and NxtGoRnd like this.
  2. Mr&MrsErnbo

Oddometer:
  3. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Yaaa Hooo! :clap

Thanks for pulling up the slack MrErnbo! I think this thread has the potential to go epic! :ricky :happay
    EZMoney likes this.
  4. Mr&MrsErnbo

Oddometer:
    Thank the Mrs., she did the work!
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  5. jub jub

Oddometer:

Thank you Mrs Ernbo!

I was out riding today and saw a few restaurants that fell nicely into this category. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to stop. I logged them into my grey matter data base, lets hope it doesn't fail me.
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  6. nerdtastic_89

nerdtastic_89 awkward hippy

Oddometer:
    I gonna stalk the shit outta this thread. Especially now that I finally have a bike to ride to these places and stuff my face! Can't to wait to see everyone's input. I would kill for a bbq place that actually has beef ribs (don't eat pork). Maybe some good sushi/seafood places too. Thanks for making this thread!
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  7. Mr&MrsErnbo

Oddometer:
    First up, a great coastal eatery, Fish Tales on Spur 144 near Richmond Hill, Ga.... [​IMG] parking in front is tricky due to the angle but bike friendly parking is available just across the street in the over flow lot. They are bike friendly as well. [​IMG]. Great menu and reasonably priced for fresh seafood.
    They're dockside [​IMG]. Eat inside, outside, or at the bar.....
    Tasty low country boil, delicious and filling [​IMG]

Will go back, it was that good and very cheerful.
  8. SchwingTing

SchwingTing Monkeywrench Thrower

Oddometer:
    Holycow that looks good. Oh nice.
  9. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being fairly new to GA, this thread will give me lots of "food" for thought.:clap
  10. jub jub

Oddometer:
    That looks especially yummy! Seafood is some of my favorite!

I need to quit my job! :lol3
  11. HPTuner

HPTuner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good! Another reason for me to get on down there. :thumb
  12. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    :ear:lurk All right; who can add something this weekend. Weather not looking great, but I got a few spots in mind...
  13. jub jub

Oddometer:
    Sister-in-law is up this weekend and we're suppose to go zip-lining tomorrow. :snore I might take a day off next week and find a spot.
  14. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    We dropped some coin at Fishtales on our Christmas camping trip this last year. I have never been so stuffed...
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  15. jub jub

Oddometer:
    Took my sister-in-law, her grand daughter and my grandson zip-lining today! my wife and provided the transportation. i was suppose to zip myself but, my grandson wanted to try it so I gave my spot to him. The place we went is called Banning Mills and lies about a mile north of Whitesburg in the north west part of the state. It's about a 2-1/2 hour drive from Warner Robins, about half super slab and the rest two lane. It was a nice drive and plenty of historic sites to see along the way. The first pic is of the entrance to the resort. I say resort because they rent cabins and have a lodge where people who aren't zipping can relax and take it easy. Banning Mills has some historic significance itself and was the site of several mills located on Snake Creek that provided textiles for Confederate Uniforms during the Civil War.

[​IMG]

Here are one of the many zip platforms!

[​IMG]

Getting schooled on how to zip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So while the crew is off zip-lining, my wife and I decide to go into town to get something to eat. Now Whitesburg, being the small town that it is has a choice of 3 places to eat, Pam's Diner, Subway and El Loco! I figure with a name like El Loco, how could I go wrong! :lol3 Anyway, it was the best choice for finding a Cervesas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love the decor!

[​IMG]

The wait staff were nice. I've seen that guy in the middle at March Moto Madness. Evidently, he gets around.

[​IMG]

I was so hungry, I forgot to get a shot of the Taco Salad before I took a pic. It looked a lot more appetizing than this when they brought it out. It was tasty though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is quite a bit to see at Banning Mills even if you don't zip line. There are plenty of nature walks and some ruins of the old mills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over all it was a great day, not too hot and the bugs were minimal. I will definitely go back and I know my grandson wants to go back. He loved it and wants to do stage 5 next time. We'll see. Stage 5 will set you back $250.00 for the day. They do provide lunch though. :lol3

PS: I know this trip isn't bike related. However, I thought in the interest of getting this thread jump started, I would post the day trip anyway. Pretend there is a motorcycle in there somewhere. :D
  16. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I'll have to think of some good dive places to ride to and post up a report. Been to a few recently but will take some photos next ride out.
  17. Mr&MrsErnbo

Oddometer:
    Mr&MrsErnbo tagged this for the GATOR a whole back,... So there is a bike (memory) there. Great report
  18. jub jub

Oddometer:
    Took the wife on a Mother's Day ride/lunch. We decided to go to Madison since it's rich in History and not too far. First off, the obligatory bike pic.

[​IMG]

View from the outside, located on Main Street.

[​IMG]

Very nice decor and atmosphere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The menu: there were many items and something for everyone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is this? A bun-less double cheeseburger with caramelized onions and bacon! :D

[​IMG]

Wife had a tuna patty melt mit onion rings!

[​IMG]

Our server Lea! She was great! I wish all servers were like her. Yes, she gave me permission to use her picture and post it on the interwebs.

[​IMG]

Overall, I give this place a 5 out 5 star rating. Good food, service is fast and drinks didn't go dry and a nice atmosphere. It's located on main street and if you get a seat near the window, you can watch the traffic and dream about your next Harley! :lol3

History

While many believe that Sherman spared the town because it was too beautiful to burn during his March to The Sea, the truth is that Madison was home to pro-Union Senator Joshua Hill. Hill had ties with General Sherman's brother at West Point, so his sparing the town was more political than appreciation of its beauty. Currently, Madison has one of the largest historic districts in the state of Georgia, and tourists from all over the world come to marvel at the antebellum architecture of the homes. Madison is the home of Southern Cross Guest Ranch. Southern Cross Guest Ranch is the only dude ranch in Georgia.
  19. HPTuner

HPTuner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the ole ChopHouse! I know it well. The wife & I use to stay in Madison when our daughter was at Rock Eagle for 4-H. ChopHouse does have some awesome food! :thumb
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  20. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to read more. Will be up around Lake Hartwell beginning of June. Some awesome members already gave some insight of places I can't wait to try. I will definitely update my experiences there!
    Ernbo6 likes this.