Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Hmm... 751 after us-70? :)
  2. InTheSticks

InTheSticks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never do this, but this time I did........
    I was at a stoplight in Sacramento in my Subaru Forester (turbo) and a hopped up Camaro pulls up 2 lanes over and a small red tuner car pulls up in the lane between us. The guy in the Camaro is revving his engine and inching ahead, the tuner car is doing the same thing, I know what's going to happen next.....
    Light turns green and I nail it, the Camaro gets about 2 car lengths on me, but, I'm ahead of the tuner car before we all slow down.
    I'm not sure if the the guy in the tuner car was pissed that he got beat by 2 retirees in a silver station wagon.......but, my wife sure was pissed at me :rofl
    MadtownMaxx, DOGSROOT, FJ Fun and 3 others like this.
  3. Volodymyr t G

Volodymyr t G Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, 751 after 70. Not a long road, but fun when it's all yours!
  4. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP's story does not sound like fun to me. don't like playing chicken with cages. this is why I ride a bike with > 100hp....to get away from a-hole drivers like that.
    skibumdreamer and Transporto like this.
  5. Chromer

Chromer So, a funny thing has happened

Oddometer:
    Heh. The 1st year manual ones with the 4.44 final drive were ridiculously quick. Even the current ones are quicker than a tall wagon has any right to be. Total sleepers.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

I had an escape route. :D
  7. samadams0824

samadams0824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading home from school,

car in front of me signals right and pulls to curb and stops.

Then without warning, as I draw level with the car it pulls left across the lane to turn down side street on the left, signalling only after they've crossed the centre line.

If I was in the cage I'd have been in an accident.

As it was I was able to scrub off enough speed and thread the needle between their back bumper and the sidewalk.

Honk and shrug... what can you do?
  8. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Don't bother unless you're never going to get near dirt or mud or water with one. I crapped out my 3rd one (1st was my initial purchase, lasted about 2 months, 2nd was warranty replacement for #1) about a month ago. Never again. Unless you keep them perfectly dry, clean, and safe, they go belly up within a couple months of getting them.

And yes, I have it wired properly, direct to the battery, correct gauge wiring, etc. etc. etc.

Stebels suck huge ass; they're great for the first 6 beeps, then go downhill from there until they piss you off and die with a whimper.
  9. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
  10. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    Agreed. It's just not worth the additional risk, DAKEZ. Granted, you weren't playing games so much as holding your line. Still, right of way can mean little when the other driver has right of mass.

A driver passed me on the shoulder recently, when there was no compelling reason to do so. I could have damaged his car at the stoplight and made an easy escape. Instead, I took the first right turn to put some distance between us.
    Hewl35 and Byrdmando like this.
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    One crazy commute was when two Marines in a Ford Taurus decided to ride my ass for no reason. I was going plenty fast in the left lane when they came flying up on me. I signalled and moved over to the right to get out of their way but apparently not fast enough for them because they changed lanes too and started riding my ass. (Maybe it was my "Alumni U.S. Marines" license plate frame? :dunno) I changed lanes again, trying to let them by, but they changeed right behind me. This happened four or five times until I changed lanes for the last time.

Unfortunately for them, I was changing lanes to split the traffic that had suddenly slowed big time right in front of us. I heard the scream of brakes and BAM!! they rear-ended a car that had stopped.

Didn't look too bad so I kept going. I guess they were so intent on fucking with me that they weren't paying attention to what was going on ahead of us. :rolleyes I was glad they got screwed but felt bad for the person they rear-ended.
    Erinaceous likes this.
  12. SinFrenas

SinFrenas banal leakage

Oddometer:

did you filter the intake like it says to? shoot some penetrant/lube up there every once in a while? install it with a fuse & relay thingy? mine lasted 2 years on the klr, rain & dirt roads & everything.

a stebel is mandatory equipment for me; if they crapped out every month i'd still keep running them. $35 is a small price to pay for sweeping people back out of your lane...
  13. Volodymyr t G

Volodymyr t G Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey phOrk- yes us 10 is one of my favorites. It's the first leg of my commute, then 751. Almost no traffic in the morning, and very little on my commute home.
  14. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:

...So nothing good or fun happened? :D
    You need to write about battling with other cars, have you not read a single post in this thread!? :deal
    I actually wish my commute was like yours. Mine is one of those 15 mph on the highway kind of deals, because of the time that I need to leave.

Traffic around here is quite well-behaved too, so I have very few interesting commuting stories to tell.
    The last "event" was when I was still riding my Honda ST1100

[​IMG]

which by that time had a 4"x10" decal on both side panels:

[​IMG]

The two South-bound lanes were doing their usual 15-20 mph and the passenger in the pickup to the left of me did a double-take, said something to the driver and yelled at me
    "Hey, is that a Harley?"
    me: "Yeah, it's a prototype for next year's model. I am test riding it."
    Passenger dude speaks to the driver again and both nod knowingly and interestedly.
    Passenger dude turned to tell me to say "Really? ...Cool." and stare at my bike again with a confused look as I was laughing out loud in my helmet.
  15. Kevinhooa

Kevinhooa Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer:
    Lots of crazy stories in here!

I have a 70-80 mile round trip commute through some pretty crazy and fast traffic. One day heading home through a huge construction zone a lady that was supposed to yield didn't and cut me off. I honked, and swerved and she acted like I surprised her because she never even checked if anything was coming. Whatever, it's South Jersey traffic and people do stupid stuff all the time, I'm used to it. I pull up behind her at the next light and she is constantly checking her rear view mirror like she's nervous I'm going to do something. I smile because I think that's funny, and at the next turnoff I head another direction off the main road and on my merry way. The side road I took a really just a bypass to avoid the crazy traffic through a town and after 4 miles or so and a short trail it puts me back on another side road still parallel to the main road. At least 10 miles after that close call I ease onto the throttle onto this quiet side road and end up right back behind that same lady that cut me off before. I think she almost shit herself. Her eyes looked huge when I came up behind her again and as I went to pass she slowed up at least 15 slower than the speed limit and had this terrified look on her face. If she wasn't nervous about me before she definitely was now.

Too funny. What were the chances? I bet she'll look a little closer before she just pulls out next time.
  16. chef_of_the_future

chef_of_the_future Currently reading the Pepperwood Chronicals

Oddometer:
    Stupid risky driving is not entertaining its the mark of an:asshat Oh wait ...you had an escape route AND you signiled your lane change so driving like a dick was OK ? :lol3. You should stay off the road unless you can get professional help for your road rage:D. Now that you have "taught" the mercedes driver a lesson he will be sure to treat all other motorcycles riders with similar disrespect:clap:clap Good job!:jerko
    Hewl35, Byrdmando and Transporto like this.
  17. hellfire76

hellfire76 haphazard adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was riding home from work on a four lane interstate. Moron is sitting in the left lane going five under the speed limit. I move to the right behind a truck and then to the right again to go around the truck. Just as I get near the front of the truck I come up behind another one. So now there is one in front of me and one to my left. Next thing I know there is another truck on my right and another one comes up behind me.
    Sons of bitches literally boxed me in. They stayed like that for a few minutes (seemed like forever). That was a scary situation, I'm sure the truck drives got a good laugh out of it.
  18. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    The front end is kinda pointy. That's all it takes.

People used to want to race my 600 katana too. :lol3
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 No "risky" "dick" "raging" on my part. Just riding and not allowing an agressive prick to intimidate me. :D
  20. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it's a fine line between exercising your lawful right of way and being perceived as a dick.

Just let it go...