Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I managed to pick up the WRR and ride it home this evening. It was fairly cold ride home so the first modification I made to it after pulling off most of the decals was to install a hookup for my heated vest.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Not counting my vintage bikes which are a whole other riding experience entirely this is the first small bore bike I've had since my XL250 which I bought new in 1986. 8 miles home is not much of a test ride, but I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun on this bike. I figure it is a good 90 pounds lighter than my KLR with the same amount of fuel on board. Might not make me a better rider, but it should be a lot easier picking it up when I fall over.
  2. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    That much better than the klx250?
  3. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    If you put it on the trails, it will absolutely make you a better rider.
  4. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Or blue can still trump orange...
    [​IMG]

But, why would anyone limit themselves to poorer equipment unless there's an underlying reason? Your skills can only improve as far as your equipment allows most times. Far too many times I've ran into this.
  5. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what everyone is waiting for. Retail would be $9k-9500 as a guess, local dealer & I discussed this before I picked up a used 250.
  6. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guessed 100-125 lighter than my KLR650. Its much more nimble too.

A guy has to figure out what he wants a bike to do, that's what I found was the hardest part.

BTW the WRR & I picked this up on Sunday, but I still don't exactly understand the points system. :rofl

[​IMG]
  7. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really don't see the huge advantage of the WRR over the KLX250S, especially when you can get the 351 kit and larger carb for it and still be well under the price of the WRR. Yes you loose the fuel-injection, but in my book that's a good thing as I can fix most any carb problem on the trail. You can also still add an OEM kick-starter kit for the KLX for $300 - something you can't do with the WRR.

Hard to argue against the KTM unless you start talking about the cost or maintenance. The 350 and 500 EXC-F's are essentially the Ferrari of the D/S world. They have all the fancy bells and whistles and are faster than a Skyline Chili induced bowel evacuation, but it all comes at the expense of affordability and bulletproof reliability.

Seems the street-legal version of a WR450F has been available in other markets (Europe and Australia) for quite awhile so it's not as much of a long shot as some might think. Whether it shares the same race-bred WRF engine or has a more maintenance friendly and less powerful engine like the WR250R is the question.

[​IMG]
  8. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen. I wish it would, but it is not going to. Lots of politics involved with corporate air quality issues. Yamaha had to kill several 2 stoke outboards to keep the 2 stroke MX bikes. Even more difficult for stuff with a plate.

Much easier when you bring in a small amount of units, such as ....KTM, Husqvarna, Beta, Husaberg, TM.............the rules only apply to people bringing in a bunch of units.
  9. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Like it's hard to make a wr450 street legal in Ohio...
  10. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    The one I pictured is the WR450F, which is already available...obviously not street legal from the factory but that matters little in Ohio.

Frankly, I'd choose it over the WR450R, if it should ever be a choice. The F will be lighter, better sprung for offroad, and retain the kicker option.

It's all what you're into I guess, but my bias is more towards offroad and less towards road. I'll give up some street comfort for trail manners.

FWIW, the Yamaha place out in Hebron has a new leftover 2012 WR450F right now for $6499, that's a lot of bike for the $$.
  11. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's easy to make a wr450f street legal, but I want a wr450R; with a subframe, high output alternator, and extended maintenance intervals.

Heck, a wr250r has many internals from an R1; I wouldn't mind one bit if they made a 'wr450r' with simply a parallel twin of the same idea. Tune it for low/mid range power, and let it rip!
  12. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My real problem has been finding the time to ride off road. At least now when I have the time it should be more enjoyable.
  13. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I still remember getting my XL250 after my IT175 and thinking it was sooo much heavier. I don’t recall how much the XL weighed, but I’m sure it was at least 10-20 lbs lighter than the WRR.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  14. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    The cost/maintenance beliefs were what has kept me from owning a KTM for quite a while, but after a lot of research, the newer XC4 engines have proven to be extremely reliable and the valves rarely move.

The newest of the new is always going to be high, but NOS 450 and 530s can be found for 7 grand or less. Street legal out of the gate and a lot of bang for the buck considering MSRP of a WR250R is now at $6,690.

Sure, you'll change the oil a little more often, but it's a five minute job. Trans and filter every other oil change. Valves rarely (if ever) move. Fifty pounds lighter, gobs of power, both kickstart and magic button.

The FI vs. Carb debate notwithstanding, the only real compromise is fuel economy.
  15. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Stator output and subframe, too. They aren't important to me personally I don't use my little DS bikes for anything but trails and day trips and I don't ever intend on powering heated gear off 'em, but for someone wanting an "all arounder" that is a tangible downside to a race-bred KTM.
  16. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you want a hot chick that is cheap and requires little maintenance. Good luck.

As for the bike, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ride a bike that you like and makes you happy. It is just that we spend a lot of time and effort on farkles and finding the elusive perfect bike and discussing which bike is more better when the weakest link is usually standing on the pegs. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Lewis could leave me in the dust on a clapped out, stock XR400R regardless of what hot, new bike I might be straddling.

An appropriately sized and powered bike certainly makes it easier and more fun to learn and gain confidence. It is easier to go faster and be safer on a bike with suspension that is set up for you. I get it. It is just humbling to know what our bikes are capable of in more skilled hands and what the right rider can do with the "wrong" bike. All the new technology in the world can't make me this fast in the woods:
    [​IMG]
  17. EJV

EJV Jeep. Supporter

Oddometer:

True. Years ago I watched as a "Motocross Rider" rode a Honda NC-50 Express sideways through a dirt parking lot at a high rate of speed (for that thing). :huh

It was cool. What he did, not the moped. :rofl
  18. dox

Oddometer:
    True, I tend to overlook the those things for the very reasons you listed.

Planning to do the trailtech stator upgrade, and there's a pro moto billet rack available for the 530 if I ever needed to carry a small amount of luggage.
  19. dox

Oddometer:
    Closet moped lover. :fitz
  20. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the F was pictured, but like you said, it all about what you want out of a bike. I want to ride all over the place, ride something fun, then ride home. I'm like with mountain bikes as well, so you have to give something up. Some of us will give up some power for longer maintenance intervals, a little weight for wattage and subframe.

Mike, you're right on the money. Don't forget 6th gear.

$8000 from Athens for the left over 450s, take your pick, Six Days bike or the dual sport. That's what I was offered. There was some rebate that expired a month ago that made one less $. They'll be titled however you choose, off or on road. You'll have to bring a jet kit if you'd like to ride the one with turn signals home because its jetted so lean that it won't idle or run right. You'll have to bring a dual sport kit for the Six Days bike (definitely the cooler of the 2). The mechanics will help you get either ready to ride.

I picked up a WR250R with an IMS tank and a few goodies for about $3k. I'm happy so far. If I become a better off road rider, I'll probably look at orange bikes again. 2nd row rider was on a 690 Enduro R Sunday. Not sure how it'd do for 4 hours on pavement, but it sure is a beautiful bike. :evil

Once again, it's up to the rider and intended use.