Lexx Exhaust ????

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by M.Mars, Dec 29, 2010.

1. M.Mars

M.Mars Just some dude

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of giving my bike a good rebuild and was looking into putting on some aftermarket cans on her. My primary reason for this is the heat. Now I already had my mind set on the Wings because I love the look of them and from what I hear the quality is great. However, browsing the web today I came across the Lexx Dual exhaust for the 950/990 adv.

My question is does anybody know anything about this exhaust. I've never heard of them untill few minutes ago and google search didn't give back anything concerning the big ktm only mx bikes.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...vTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=19536

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kTm-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa6c35ef0

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/parts/2416-lexx-dual-exhaust-system-950-990-adventure.html

One post I came across mentioned a repack every 20 to 25 hours. Considering I do about 10,000 miles per year this is out of question. But that is a very tempting price.
  2. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    :lurk Interested.... especially with the USFS rating.
  3. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's Rocky Mountain's "House" brand, I think. Sort of like their Tusk line of tools and accessories. I don't have any experience with them though.
  4. Rayzor61

Rayzor61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lets keep this thread alive. I think they look great. Interested in fitment and sound.....

who has them?????????????????????
  5. warp9man

warp9man Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing a few days ago, i'm familair with RM a bit and this is definatly a House brand, the price is decent enough.

anybody that has these speak up, Enquiring minds want to know.
  6. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    I think at the price, it'd be worth a try. I can't stand the heat off the stockers. I'll order a set when I get back to work in January.
  7. M.Mars

M.Mars Just some dude

Oddometer:
    Beautiful !!! A brave soul. I was thinking the same. The price is tempting and the MX guys have been using it for a few years now, so it can't be that bad. My engine is in a million little pieces right now and it won't be back together until late January so I'll give it a shot then. Of course depending on your initial thoughts :D
  8. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    :lol3... not sure which one of us is the brave soul... I'm thinking the guy with his engine in a million little pieces...
  9. Rayzor61

Oddometer:
    Well put! LOL!

I guess asking Rocky Mountain would be worthless since their opinion would favor anything they sell...even if they were made of plastic...

....just what is a muffler anyway? How bad can they be despite the low price. And if there are interchangeable inners for US Forestry compliance (sparks and noise), made of alumimum, and have a cool black and orange badge, why not. You can even open these things without drilling rivets.

All we really want is the damm Cat out of the pipes so it will be cool to the touch and sound deeper.

Somebody said something about re-packing the mufflers more frequently.........umm, I don't know, but that sounds too much like a drunken argument rather than a fact. And who cares anyway, I need something to do.....

Maybe I can talk them into a demo pair and report the performence & quality to this forum, therefore, increasing unit sales.......(how cheap can I get?)
  10. 50motoguy

50motoguy n00b

Oddometer:
    I called Rocky to try to get some info on these pipes. The salesman was not too familiar with the 950/990 slip on pipes. He said they are a new product and he didn't have much info on them. He did say they were manufactured overseas and copied FMF pipes as to overall design. They are pretty much a straight thru glass pack muffler. They're gonna get louder when the fiberglass burns up . He was not sure about the pipes needing a mid-pipe like the Leo Vince Pipes. Leo's use springs to hold them up to the mid-pipe. The picture I saw of the Lexx's , showed a flange that resembles the stock unit. I'm thinking they will bolt right up. I was told no re-jetting is needed. I asked about the weight savings compared to stock and the salesman thought they weighed about 3.5 lbs less. He didn't know if that was for both or separate. The outside canister is made out of aluminum with the insides supposedly made out of stainless steel. That might explain the weight of them. I think they are not a bad looking pipe and are sure a lot less money than Akro's. If you have the money the only pipes out there that do not need repacking are the Staintunes. They are a true baffled muffler that will never wear out. They are expensive though $1000 US. I think if I was going to ride my KTM in the dirt and knowing that I might fall and damage the pipes, I might go for cheaper pipes.
  11. Rayzor61

Oddometer:
    The link to the ebay seller says to contact them for a discount (in his description). I emailed him for clarification if the discount was on top of the $375 asking price with $10 shipping noted on eBay. I requested he give me a deal so I can do I report to post on this forum, thereby increasing his sales. That is the only way a distributor is going to get a product off the shelf. My test won't include a dyno run but I will do a sound clip and report on quality, fit and finish.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with them. I've been thru some "Tusk" & RCM branded stuff and the quality was definetly a step below, think what you expect in a Chinese knockoff. Buy American IMO, FMF is on sale too. Its cheaper for a reason!
  13. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's great you are getting a special deal to review/promote his product but this should probably be moved over to the Vendor forum
  14. Rayzor61

Oddometer:
    its just an idea Catalina. Probably won't go anywhere....

just got a reply email as I am writing this. They offer a discount by calling the seller directly to avoid his ebay fees. They are described as most like FMF's by the seller. I did on-line research of other buyers that said the mufflers are supprisingly good in quality. I will order my set tomorrow (if they are open) and do a complete write-up with pictures on installation, quality, and sound clips. I am working with the 2010 990 ADV "R". In fact, I might get 2 sets so my buddy can have them for his 990 ABS ADV.

I'll keep you posted.....Ray
  15. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're buddy should get the FMF's and then compare the two.
  16. M.Mars

M.Mars Just some dude

Oddometer:
    Nice Nice I like the way this is going. Can't wait !!!
  17. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Bump to the top.....you get them on yet? Crowds forming! Dave:ear
  18. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    FMF's are on sale....... where might one ask???
  19. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Scapegoat,
    I saw them on ebay for 449. Does one of the forum guys/vendors have them cheaper. Ten bucks shipping on ebay. I asked the seller if they were flanged or slip on and I haven't heard back yet. Just bought a '10 and am clueless if you haven't figured that out. Dave
  20. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OEM Cycle has the FMFs for 418.00. I've never dealt with them, though.