Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for confirmation on exactly which frames the platforms will fit. So far, I've only seen it on 18mm Touratech jobs, but I understand that cam lever gear for other popular brands is in the pipeline. I should hopefully have an answer for you soon.

Cheers,

Michael
  2. jimmydeanh

jimmydeanh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response Michael. I'm really interested in the Overlander 30 for my ride- I plan on buying as son as it comes out:D
  3. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    De nada, bro! I'll let you know as soon as it reaches our shores.

Michael
  4. jimmydeanh

Oddometer:
    Michael- 2 more questions: Do you have an idea of price for the Overlander60? And what does it come with, 2 or 4 15L packs, or choice of rotopax? I've got a buddy that is interested.

Sorry one last thought: Wander if one could rig up an 18mm system on a dirtbike (like mine) and use the 60? Saw someone on here make their own for their 500 EXC (pic below). Would be nice to carry them rotopax too=)
    [​IMG]
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Jimmy,

The Overlander 60 will come in at $795. That gets you 2 x LDPE (pretty much indestructible, lightweight resin) platforms, all mounting hardware including cam levers and Rack Loops, plus 4 x 15L bags. Rotopax canisters will also be an option.

It will indeed work on your bike and any machine that has compatible pannier frames. The only information I have at the moment, is that it will fit 18mm Touratech frames (and possibly some other brands tbc), but I believe fixing gear to fit other popular makes of frame with different configurations is being worked on.

Cheers,

Michael
  6. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    For those of us who might be interested in running an Overlander 60 on one side and a hard pannier on the other (using the Overlander to carry fuel/water) are you going to offer the ability to purchase one side only?

7. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Short answer: yes! :D

For that scenario, you could purchase 1 x Overlander platform + 2 x Overlander 15L bags (or anything from one to four Rotopax canisters instead of one or both of the bags) as separate items. And if you wanted to upgrade your hard pannier fixing system, you could even purchase 1 x ALP platform to enable easy removal of your tin (for overcoming obstacles / narrow spaces, or taking off the bike for joy rides out of base camp / at stops) without tools and without having to empty it first.

The platforms (including all mounting gear) will be $225 each and the bags come in at $99 a pop.

Hope that works for you!

Michael
  8. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the speedy reply! Cannot wait to check this system out in person :D

9. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Any time, mate! Thanks for your interest.
  10. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Michael, Now I see!! Those rack loops are way cool! Thanks for posting pics of those. When I take delivery of my Beta( about a month and a half) I'm going to set it up with a US 5 on each side. I really did not like the idea of using "footman loops" for mounting small soft bags. I am thinking the rack loops would make it doable.

I have been looking for something that does not go across my seat when doing hardcore single track. I like the modular setup. I could use the US 10 as a tailbag and simply strap it to a R15 backpack when the going gets rough.

I will post lots of pics when I get it setup!

Here is the basic bike:
    [​IMG]

And with a rear enduro rack:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for all the detailed pics of your products!
  11. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    And of course I will buy the bags from you when the time comes!!:D
  12. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested in picking up a small back pack for day trips in order to hold a few tools and water. Problem is that I am about 6' 4" with a 52" chest and have had problems finding something that fits around me. Does Kriega offer anything that would fit?
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris,

First off; congrats on the new bike! Those Betas are super trick!

To answer your query: the US-5 are designed as bolt-on fender packs (2 x M4 bolts per strap drilled directly into the bike panels: full instructions here) for hardcore dual sport riding. And as you say, a pair can also be side-slung as shown in the 'Twin Pack' section of this page: http://www.kriega.us/us5-motorcycle-enduro-bag-fenderpack/. Be aware that the US-5 is a minimal pack, generally used for carrying only the essentials e.g. spare tubes, tools, waterproofs, medical supplies etc. Each one has 5 liters of storage (approx. 305 cubic inches), so whether they are right for you depends on what you need to carry.

The new Rack Loop mounting system is also designed for hardcore off-road riding, so you don't need to worry about it causing any issues, regardless of what size US pack (10, 20 or 30-liter) you mount using them. Rack Loops were developed to allow dirt bike riders to carry bigger packs securely. They are not necessary for the US-5, but will work with them. However, the distance you'd need to drill the holes for the Rack Loops would vary between the US-5 and the other US packs (the US-10 through 30 will all fit the same Rack Loop position), on account of it being a significantly smaller pack.

Also, Rack Loops were not intended to be used for side mounting. Neither were the US-10, 20 or 30. Rack Loops be fine for US-5s, but bigger packs require more support / security and a different design to our US packs, which is why the Overlander bags were developed. If you want to side mount anything bigger than a pair of US-5s, it's be best to take a look at the Overlander 30. That said, any of our US packs could be securely fitted to your Enduro rack, or fitted using Rack Loops drilled into your rear fender.

So, based on what you have told me, it sounds like this is the equipment you might want:

• 2 x US-5 (no additional mounting gear required, other than the bolts, which are available at any hardware store etc)
    • 1 x US-10 tail pack (comes with Alloy Hook Straps included)
    • 1 x Rack Loops (set of 4 - due for release imminently - precise date tbc)
    • 1 x R15 backpack (US-10 can be attached to it easily, but this is not really necessary when rack mounted using the included Alloy Hook Straps on the US-10, or fender mounted with Rack Loops)
    And - if I may be so bold - by the sound of it, a Hydrapak hydration system for the R15, might come in useful too! :D

Hope that helps, but feel free to give me a shout (post on here, email info@kriega.us or call 504.872.9367) if you need any more info.

All the best,

Michael
  14. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Big!

The Kriega R15 (http://www.kriega.us/r15-motorcycle-backpack/) or R20 (http://www.kriega.us/r20-motorcycle-backpack/) should be a great fit (possibly with the optional Hydrapak hydration system which can hold 3L of fluid in a far more space efficient, convenient and comfortable configuration than bottles: http://www.kriega.us/hydrapak-3l-reservoir-motorcycle-hydration/).

They both (along with the significantly bigger R30) have an adjustable upper harness, which enables you to incrementally lengthen the straps to a size that is comfortable for you and can easily accommodate riders of pretty much all shapes and sizes.

Hope that helps, but do let me know if you would like any further info.

Cheers,

Michael
  15. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Hey there Michael, Thanks for the quick reply. The US 5's will be perfect for my application as they will be used as you say (for spare tools and tidbits). The overlander 30's look to be a great option for hardcore overnight campouts!

Thanks again
    Chris
  16. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Hi again Michael, I just ordered a pair of US 5 bags to get me started. Compliments of my wonderful girlfriend Carol! I will be getting more stuff over the next few months.

I'll show them mounted on my Beta.
    Thank you
    Chris
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, Chris. Also, sounds like you have quite a woman there!

Your order shipped today - you should have a tracking number by now.

Thanks for choosing Kriega. Do not hesitate to post, email or call I can be any further assistance. And I really look forward to seeing how good those bags look on your tasty new Beta.

All the best,

Michael
  18. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:

Me too! I should take delivery of it in a few weeks.
    Thank you Michael
  19. jimmydeanh

Oddometer:
    Michael-

Is any of the Overlander stuff available yet???:ear

I ended up buying that rack I posted on page 2 of this thread. I was thinking instead of two 15s that I might run a US-30 on one side...and wandered if there is a "toughness" difference with the new 15s coming out? Then run an LDPE on the other side with RotoPax (fuel) and maybe a 15. I realize the first LDPEs will be for 18mm and my rack is 19mm but I can mod it to fit....unless you have a date for when new LDPE's will be out.

*edit~ just read the answer to one of my questions "Therefore, the 15L Overlander Drypacks are significantly different to the US packs, being made from heavy duty 1000D Cordura with reinforced backs (to maintain their shape) and stainless steel eyelets for the alloy attachment hardware. "
  20. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Overlander, when and how much? :ear