650 Burgman

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sporthog93, Mar 20, 2011.

1. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes I agree. I am not into Sport bikes too much myself. Too uncomfortable and unnecessary power. All the cruisers I've ridden with a 100+ MPH top speed have been more than enough. I was just noting that its not real fast for a parallel twin, which usually revv to the moon. But yes its PLENTY.
  2. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Hmmm! I take note that most 50cc Two-Stroke scooters are not particularly fast . . . . for a 50cc Two-Stroke!
    Lets go back to what was possible 40 years ago. Since then we'd had Forty Years of engine development.

(But don't neglect the saying: Horses for courses.)

[​IMG]
    1971 Kreidler 50cc Race replica

Kreidler history

[​IMG]
    2008 Kreidler Florett RMC-G50 Race scooter

Lets compare today's Suzuki Burgman AN650 to the 1960s Triumph Bonneville T120. Still, with allowing for a weight penalty of 68 kg, (60s Triumph Bonneville -175 kg, 2006 Suzuki Burgman AN650 - 238 kg) I consider the Burg to have performance just a tad shaded by the Bonneville. There is the Bonne's T120 tag which is meant to declare that the Triumph can get to 120mph but that would be under optimal conditions.

The engine in the Suzuki is not really tuned for performance; more for plain pulling torque. This is why the Burg makes such a good sidecar tug.
    If you really want to experience a somewhat anemic 650cc machine, why not try out a Yamaha V-Star XVS650A?
  3. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    Great, now I gotta get one of these! Actually, I was thinking this is one of the only bikes I could get my wife on, for more than an hour. I would like to hear about anyone's two up or with spouse experiences. Is this a good bike to get newbies into riding, or pick up/drop offs for kids?

How is the wind for the pillion? My wife doesn't like wind, hehehe.
  4. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
    There is a shop, not too far from here, that is selling a new Burgman 650 for $5,500. But machines on CL are more like $6K for 7-14K mile two year old machines. Some are executives, but I don't really care about that stuff. People say these are 7-10K new.
    Do you think the 5,500 dollar price for the new one is a good price?
  5. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Yea I am see why they are not too high performance. The acceleration on the 650 is more than enough, and top speed is perfect for most. I just thought it would have a little more top end, you know having a parallel twin engine! Those usually rev like crazy, I know the old CBs would run like 7,000 RPM at 70 MPH comfortably. The CB 350 had decent power for it's displacement as well. But I guess it just isn't tuned to HP.

But its fine, Especially for me. I have always personally liked cruisers, so I obviously don't care for performance much! Hell, Harleys with the 96 inch+ V Twins top out at like 110 MPH, and thats like 1584 cc! So they are obviously built for torque, but they are great bikes!

There are some that just care about the adrenaline of the ride. The Burgman isn't meant for these people, its meant for people coming from either smaller scooters who still want automatics and scooter conveniences but have the power of a bigger bike, or people who are too old or have medical conditions for their big bikes.

The Burgman isn't real powerful or fast, but its got plenty of power for it's intention.

But I will say most scooters are quite slow for their size. Most 250 cc scooters won't exceed 75-80 MPH actual, while even the 234 cc Rebel can exceed these speeds. And the Ninja 250 will exceed 100 MPH.

Although scooters do great for their intention, wouldn't it be damn cool to have a real performance intended scooter? A scooter with the twin Ninja 250 engine! It'll never happen, but it I'd like it! The Ninja 250 engine wouldn't take efficiency much, it still gets 70+ MPG.
  6. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Thats a great price! The regular Burgman retails by Suzuki for $8,699, and Suzuki is giving $1,000 off on this model currently so $7,699. SO I'd say $5,500 for a 650 is a GREAT deal!
  7. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    My dealer up here in the snowy (still) north, wants 11,300$ for a new 650 Burger. They moan and bitch when we shop in the States?
    Lyle
  8. vortexau

Oddometer:
    I would rate the Burg 650 (along with the Silverwing 600) as one of the BEST pillion-carrying scooter-shaped motorcycles. To get superior passenger comfort, you'd be looking for a GL1200-1800, a 'glide, one of the other mammoth-engined Jap Tourers, or maybe a touring Triumph Rocket III. I don't know how good the rear seat is on the ST1300!?! so we'll leave that as a maybe.

About the only major gripe is that some passengers find it a challenge to reach the pillion footrests. This is because the body panels push mid-legs outwards, and the footrests are slightly tucked in under.

For someone NEW to being carried on the back seat- its one of the best! Plenty of room and a wide seat (compare this against those unlikely cruiser Gunfighter seats, and the miniscule humpy sportsbike rears) . . . good grab handles for the passenger . . . a backrest on the Exec (I'm told a backrest is a $411 option on a Burgman 400) . . and, because the Burger mounts its engine well forward, the weight of the passenger upsets the machine less than do passengers on swing-engined scooters!

Depends on screen. With my stock screen the pressure sometimes hits from behind, and can puff-out a loose riding jacket at the front. I do find the Exec's powered screen great -- being able to lower it at suburban speeds, and in car parks, which lessens the risk of head-butting the perspex!

Hmmm! Three compartments for glove boxes. You may have to let your passenger have the use of one or two of these. I find an outside glovebox good for my rain-proof trousers. It could well be that having a pillion 40% of the time you'd be wanting an add-on topbox. The extra space is good when you're shuffling luggage about.

[​IMG]
    (Photo found on the web.) NB. My riding weather is less cold! Topcase can add another 20-litre capacity to the 56-litre under-seat storage.

I suspect that having a topcase aids the airflow . . . giving a tip for the air to flow past; rather than just double back. Take note that a topbox can affect pillion egress, and make it more difficult to thrust their right leg over.
  9. vortexau

Oddometer:
    Think yourself fortunate. Current Australian prices for 2011 Burgman Execs run between $12,499AUD and $13,290AUD. It is only the Exec 650 that Suzuki Au sells. :wink:

Our ULP is nudging $1.49 per litre. It can cost me $15 to fill-up the Exec, and I do it when the single block in the gauge is blinking.
  10. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    How does the 400 compare to the 650 for filtering and pillion comfort?
  11. vortexau

Oddometer:
    The only earlier maxi I have owned was a Majesty YP400; a machine not too dissimilar to the Burgman 400.

All-in-all, the lesser mass of a 400 does make it less of a handful solo in congested city traffic. Back in 2004/05 I was commuting 12km, and then 6.5km, to work with the same distance home on Brisbane's Southside. I would not have picked the 650cc for this kind of commute.

✔ By the same measure a 250cc or 300cc would be even easier in metro riding!

But presently I'm living semi-rural. I'm taking 80km/h and 100km/h limit connecting roads to the next town, and 30-40 minutes highway travel to Ipswich or Toowoomba. Except for the 4 minute local trip to the supermarket, the 650 is a superior choice for my present riding. But I can still fit two 24-can cartons of soda in under the seat, even if I have to break one of them open to fit the space!
  12. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I was afraid you would say it was perfect, I do so love little bikes, had my heart set on a 250, but I know I would go more places on this, and maybe with a date! Picture shows it all- that is a perfect two up machine. The 650 seems to get at least as good mileage as the big tourers, mostly better. Considered a Versys, Vstrom, Road king, but the Burgman, honestly, looks more usable.

13. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Yea its a great bike for 2-up. He pretty much said it all.

But I'll tell you, it CAN'T beat the Ultra Classic or the Goldwing! Those are couches on top of a motorcycle! These bikes have HUGE backrests, super comfy huge surface area seats, arm rests, cup holders, full stereo systems, large foot rests, monster torque, you name it!

If your serious about long cross country trips, I think a big touring machine will suit you best.

But without a doubt, the Burgman 650 will carry you and a passenger for hours on end in comfort. Plus, you've gotta love that underseat storage! But one thing is make sure you have a backrest on any super long rides for a passenger!
  14. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    I'll humbly disagree. I also own a large cube Gold WIng style tourer with all the bells and whistles. Great for the freeway, and for being seen on, but not much else. The B650 comes into its own when used in the city, in the twisties, or offroad; and it can still cut it on the freeway with consummate ease. The last long tour I did was 25,000 miles and my 2003 B650 was the bike I chose to do it on.

My 2008 B650 Executive is equal to any big tourer with its electric screen,and after market stereo and top box. The one big advantage the B650 has compared with other tourers is the multiple foot positions which makes it very easy to move around in the saddle to stop monkey butt and ride long days without tiring.
  15. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
  16. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
  17. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
  18. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Insurance is too high on "R" Titles
  19. scooterspirit

Oddometer:
    The real savings are that it's not very appealing to pull over an old guy on a scooter, but a young buck on a sport bike, now, that's a target!
  20. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Very true! Another great thing about scooters!

I may be young, and I don't always drive the speed limit and such, but I've been riding my Elite 150 for 2 years and I haven't gotten pulled over once! Even passed cops at 55 MPH in a 35 MPH zone with their radar and they don't even look twice!

I've done some wild things screwing around on my scoot with my friends too! And they don't care most of the time!

If I were on a Sport Bike, I'd probably have a suspended license by now! They watch you like a hawk!