TY250 vs. TY350

Discussion in 'Trials' started by prsdrat, Apr 3, 2012.

1. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
  2. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
    Lineaway: YOU DA MAN! .......we're not worthy........:lol3
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I have my trusty TY350 sitting in the garage for lack of a piston replacement.

[It has a second life as a high skool art drawing prompt, teh kids love it.
    Ironically, if one could operate a 2stroke internal combustion engined vehicle in a public institutions building:
    I could ride the thing up the stair around the landing up the stair to teh art room; but I have to drain the gas, stick in teh elevator, and walk it down the hall, after hours. [RR to come, lol.]

QUESTION!
    Sources / availability for TY250 piston / cylinder retrofit replacement???

Beats the bike just sitting in skool as a stinkin' still-life.

Thanks to any posts!
  5. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Piston and Engine parts ... for the TY 250 mono: no problem in Europe, the 350 wasn't much sold in Europe here parts for this model are not so easy to get.

To the question between the TY250 mono and the TY350 mono made in the mid 80's to end 80's.

If you can get the 250cc TY mono, the 250cc is for putting around but also for really challenging obstacles miles better.

The 350cc engine might have more grunth but it doesn't feel so, the 250cc engine is much more related to the throttle then the 350cc, still soft as most bikes of that era but will build up momentum and power really quick if in need while the 350 engine - due to the bigger masses - not have got in the "stockings" while the 250cc is already in boots.

As a hint all championship and from Yamaha equipped riders rode the 250cc in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-3-9Xi5a_k

The first minute are related to Bultaco, but then (remaining 3 minutes) the same rider (Charles Coutard) on the 250cc Yamaha mono.
  6. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember alot of guys pulling off the 350 barrels and bolting a 250 barrel in its place. The 250 revs quicker , has better fuel efficiency. I believe the 350 also has a chrome bore.
  7. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must be quite a rider to destroy 5 ty's in one weekend of parking lot riding.:huh
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the upper riders showed up for the demo. The original ty`s had fiberglass skid plates, and all the lights. We had a large log, long concrete stair case, and of course we had a wheelie contest each day. The dealer said to ride hard and put on a show. Mostly handle bars(steel ones stock), lights and skid plates, on each bike were trashed.
    tbrown-bc likes this.
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    He is. Believe it. :D
    tbrown-bc likes this.