Honda VTR250 Intercepter Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by jas67, Mar 29, 2012.

1. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better yet charge it, test the battery (load test) then start it and check the bike charging system output. :norton
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone (especially you, Bob).

I still am not sure what the problem is/was although I'm starting to suspect the battery. I checked all of the fuses (both the 30A main as well as all of them up by the ignition switch). They're all good. When I got it home (via trailer), the battery showed 9.4 volts. I hooked it up to the Battery Tender Jr. I have. It was still charging this morning (but I did not check the volts). When I turn the key, this morning, I do get lights but I did not try to start it (I would assume it will start at this point).

I'm thinking the battery may be no good. I have asked the p.o. if he knows the age of the battery (it has screw caps for each cell and I can see the electrolyte level [it's full] thru the translucent case).

Can I do a load test at home or is there special equipment for that? For instance, I could take it to the local Auto Zone and have them load test it.
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Are you thinking I did this, by mistake, and left the tail light on all day? Hmmm.

EDIT: In retrospect, I would imagine that this is exactly what I did.
  4. Jon_Garfio

Jon_Garfio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice the VTR250, last friday I bought a VTR250 for my wife. A lot of fun!!!

[​IMG]
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Sadly, we don't get that version of the VTR here in the US.
  6. Jon_Garfio

Jon_Garfio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it is the last unit that Honda brings to Spain because nobody wants to buy it.... people says that this motorbike is than expensive than a 600cc second hand.
  7. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Geez, I've read a lot of good things about it. However, if it's expensive, I can understand why no one would want to buy one. That's a shame, it's certainly nice looking. I hope your wife enjoys it.
  8. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    OK, I got home yesterday and the battery was fully charged courtesy of the Tender Jr (it took about 20 hours). I must have left the ignition switch in the Park position (as opposed to the Lock position). I did experiment with the ignition switch positions so I won't repeat that again.

I'm still wondering why a battery with 9.4 volts wouldn't activate the dash lights or the horn. I can understand not being able to engage the starter motor but no lights at all is kind of weird.
  9. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Common mistake - every HawkGt owner has done it at least once ( raises hand )...

Even better, P switch position and OFF position are in opposite locations ( last & next-to-last) on my 2 most-ridden bikes ( Hawk & Wee-strom )
  10. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    On the VTR, the order is: (counter-clockwise) On, Off, Park, Lock.

I can understand having Park and Lock next to each other, both lock the steering. I guess I've owned too many dual sports (without this feature).
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was my first proper japanese bike. VT250. It does not look like Interceptor version, but insides of engine actually from donor Interceptor motor I had bought with this bike.
    Still sad I had to sell it. It was sooo good....

[​IMG]
  12. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I finally ran thru my first tank of gas; 63 mpg. Not bad but I'll admit to using a 6K RPM shift point. That's way low but enough to keep up with traffic. I'm pretty psyched.
  13. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For my first MPG check on mine, I rode it like I stole it for 100 miles, and git 55 MPG. Of course, that is subject to error in the two fills.
  14. cpayne5

cpayne5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my wife's '89. Fun little bike!
    [​IMG]
  15. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of these VTZ250s in the early 90s... I guess the Japanese version. It was an awesome bike.. Loved it, wish I could have take one back with me.

[​IMG]
  16. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    I had 1990 for 36,000 flawless miles. I sold it, then found another years later. But the second one was the victim of the p/o, so i did not keep it long.

I loved that bike. Actually, i have lots of warm fuzzy feelings for late 80- early 90s hondas.

I have had an 2 88 and one 91 hawk gt 650s. There is a vtr for sale nearby. Must resist.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I was at my sister's in the St. Louis MO area and her neighbor had a bike similar to the VTR above sitting in front of his house. Didn't want to snoop around it too much, and he wasn't at home. It had USD forks and clip-ons and a trellis type frame. It definately was a V-twin and had VTR and Honda on the tank. I asked my sister to tell her neighbor, the next time she sees him, I'd like to talk with him about his bike. I'm wondering if he imported it or what the deal is, since I didn't think the US got the later VTR naked bike. Might have been painted but it was a really vivid orange bike. I wish I'd had a camera with me!

Lynn
  18. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, please share details on this VTR naked in the US! I WANT ONE! :evil
  19. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    That's still not bad for riding it "like you stole it". :D

Looks like the magenta decals have been removed. Looks better that way, IMO. And, that's what my VTR used to look like. Nice.

That has got to be very close to a VTR. The fame looks similar, the tank is different (less the fairings) but the rest of the bodywork looks like it would fit. Very cool.
  20. LDH®

LDH® n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow the gangs all here ::D

My latest and also my last VTR250 build as I won't be doing this again to another VTR (bandit 400 or an 87 ex500 maybe...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hugh B likes this.