WAY UP NORTH - To The Arctic Ocean & Back to Arizona

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Sherri. At least they used the copy with my watermark.

[​IMG]
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :thumb

Those are some pretty cool looking trees.
  4. quackPOT

quackPOT Grand Master Fu

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, I just found this thread (not sure how I missed it) and I can't wait to go through all the pages and check out your photos!! Thanks for sharing! :clap
  5. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heya Dave,
    After talking to you via PM the other night and finding out about your Alaska trip, I went and found the thread and have spent the last several days reading through it... not all in one shot mind you. Phenomenal stuff.
    It kind of makes the little 160 mile day trip ride I invited you on seem a bit paltry in comparison.
    After that many days on a bike, always moving, the first day back to work must have been a major drag. I nominate you for a lifetime achievement award for this one for sure!
    dave6253 likes this.
  6. muskeg

muskeg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave, I'm only up to day 5 (page 3) but I had to let you know how much I am enjoying your report. As always, your photos are spectacular and the concise storyline compliments their beauty. I've been up and down the same roads you traveled but viewing the scenery through your lense adds an element I didn't realize was possible.

I'd love to meet up with you on the road sometime! Thanks for another stunning RR.

Corey
    dave6253 likes this.
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Dave,

I am simply in awe of this trip. How you managed to hit virtually everything along the way, riding TWO-UP, fercryinoutloud...:huh Being no stranger to long miles, still, I cannot imagine covering the territory you two did, while stopping often to grab photos well away from the bike - even doing some hiking and climbing... with a passenger aboard. You definitely latched onto a keeper when you wed the lady Helen. It even looks like she was enjoying most of the trip. :D

Your photographs are absolutely outstanding! :clap Just got through spending more time than I could afford going over the ones in your Smugmug album from this trip. Will go back again to peruse at a more leisurely pace once winter sets in and things slow down. Same with this RR, as I've had to skim over it so far. Wish there were some way to download the entire report, photos and all, and take them to the homeplace (where the internet has yet to arrive, and getting in a winter's supply of firewood still keeps me from having the time to enjoy the photos and report fully) to view during blizzards while enjoying the fruits of my firewood gathering.

Even rushing through, it was entertaining to view the BEFORE the Dalton photo:
    [​IMG]

...and the AFTER the Dalton photo:
    [​IMG]

...comparing the inevitable change in wardrobe - and bike's - condition. :lol3
    dave6253 likes this.
  8. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave I finally got a chance to read all of your RR, wow those are some amazing pictures! Thanks for including me in a bit of your report. I was in Valdez on the 4th of July as well, I'm surprised I didn't see Helen and yourself there. It was nice meeting you at ADV cycle works and thanks for looking for my sleeping bag too! Fred.
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Dan does not like preppy ADV riders :rofland clean bikes when they show up at his house:lol3 He's also from New York...
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    Just found and read your R.R. Very nice , Great pictures. Thank you.:clap
    dave6253 likes this.
  11. rckt grl

rckt grl Sportbike Addict

Oddometer:
    UHHHH MAY ZING! :clap

I'm not necessarily a regular contributor here, but I love reading the RR's and dream of my own ADV rides yet to come. I loved your report and photos! While I'm not a "true adventure rider" as I own a sportbike, I can however attest to the fact that I definately want to 'join the club' in the very near future. I've done a couple of long range trips on my GSX-R and loved every minute of it, however having an appropriate bike will undoubtably make for an easier trip(s) in the future. Still working on that next part of my dream...

a little off topic, but I see that you and your wife live near Phoenix. I'll be visiting my parents this winter in Sun City and am curious to know what riding in the area is like in December/January timeframe?? I will probably fly in, so won't have my bike, but I believe there are some bike rentals to be had... Just curious if it would be time and money well spent to look into futher?.. thanks again
    ~Denyse
    dave6253 likes this.
  12. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But this fellows statement really made me laugh
    ''I was at the Arctic Circle about June 1 and did not see a single mosquito up or back the whole trip."

Because I once heard a Cajun tour guide make nearly the same statement on a tour of the swamp.
    (Later he admitted that what he meant wasn't necessarily what we think we heard---what he meant to imply was that there are no single mosquitos---they are all married with large families)
    '
    Wonderful to ride this trip vicariously with this pair---great report and pictures.
    dave6253 likes this.
  13. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, thanks for another amazing report and stunning pictures! I did an AK trip as my very first long distance mototrip, it was great to again see some of the places we visited! Thanks for sharing!
    dave6253 likes this.
  14. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the new replies. It's nice to hear you guys are still finding and enjoying this report.
    This is a great time of year to dream of and plan a run to Alaska, huh?

Fred, I wish we had seen you in Valdez. We had a great time there.
    I guess we were watching the same fireworks show on Independence Day.:1drink

Denyse, Arizona is the best time of year to explore the deserts of Arizona, California & Nevada. Just avoid the high
    altitude and you should stay warm enough. Temps swing about 30 degrees here between night and day, so the
    nights in the desert are usually pretty chilly. BTW, Being an Adventure Rider doesn't require any specific type of bike.
    Your sport bike is probably more comfortable for long distance than the seat of my KTM.
    I still have plenty of adventures on my sport-touring machine.

This photo is still one of my favorites from the entire trip. It is one of my first HDR 360 degree panoramas made of
    27 exposures and includes so many things I love; Helen, The KTM, John's Canyon, a Stunning Sunrise.
    Here is a reprocessed version.
    [​IMG]

I'm considering getting this one printed. If it is printed 12 inches high it would be 8 feet long!:eek1

I've since done another report in Day Trippin'...
    [​IMG]
  15. Mopti

Mopti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful, wonderful report. At first I thought the editing was garish and then agreed with you that cameras seldom get the shot that was in my mind. I loved the "pop" of the colors.
    My wife and I are planning a to Alaska for next July. Her first. I went way back in 1989 on my 1976 BMW R100 S. After that I have had GS's.
    Thanks
    dave6253 likes this.
  16. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Dave and Hellen. I just returned to the dual sport world last year here in Alberta Canada, and I ran across this site when I was looking for intressting places to travel to. As I scrolled the threads, I come across one of yours that really caught my eyesssss !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Your are a living ledgen who lives behind the lens of hummans like no others I have ever seen before. I'm am a member of Alberta"s Dual Sport Form up here in Canada, and I want to thank you and Hellen for sharing your time/ life/ and friends with faimly with all that see life through your eyes. You bring the meaning of true HEART SPARK to the soul of those that can see past the man/ woman that you are. I am proud that your camera and pictures show me how to share life with those that I enjoy being around, and I hope to incress my game plan over the next few years so "I to can share life on this site."

Thanks so much to the both of you. From Your Number One Fan Here In Western Canada Don Parsons, "AKA" Jeathrow Bowdean
    dave6253 and RockyDS like this.
  17. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's gonna be a hard one to find a frame for. lol...

Dave you outdid yourself on another ride report. I think I live my Adventure desires and dreams though your camera lens and stories as others have said. I am a poor excuse for an ADV Rider. I have owned, bought and sold 3 08 BMW GSA's and between all 3 logged maybe 5k milestotal. That's ridiculous. lol.. Mine have always been garage princesses unfortunately. I have always had the ADV bug but never could find the time to ride. And as of right now I don't even own a motorcycle anymore. Kids, life and a 360 mile commute to work at the Fire Department have kept me from realizing my dream of riding to Alaska someday. I have a 14 year old boy who shares my passion for motorcycles and loves to ride his YZ 125. It's my hope to someday (Maybe 16 will be to young) to ride to Alaska with him both on our own bikes.
    dave6253 likes this.
  18. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    lacofdfireman, do not sell yourself short. The Adv bug resides in all of us here. i really hope you can realize your dream with your son. I am an ER nurse who rides, and people think me crazy for it. I ride because I love it and because I have learned some hard lessons from my profession through the years...

Live every day; tell the ones you love that you love them; don't go to bed angry; you can get killed walking your doggie; life is short; you never know when your ticket is going to get punched.

Life is too short. I hope to travel with my daughter, Katie, on my moto someday. I do have the feeling, tho, that she will want to ride her own on the trip. People say that she is a little version of me in a dress. I hope not for the sake of the world. I think one of me is far too many.

Perhaps my mother's curse came true. My mother always wished for me to have a kid that acted exactly like I did.

Ah well, such is life. Enjoy it while it is here. Live every day. I know that you have seen some of the same shit that I have. These are the days. Plan for tomorrow, but do not forget the here and now...

Sending good vibes your way. I hope you fulfill your dreams.

Cheers,

JG
    dave6253 likes this.
  19. jadedillusion

jadedillusion Adventure Wife

Oddometer:
    I am shamefully late to your RR.

Fantastic......not only did you hit our favorite place (Valley of the Gods) but you went to Alaska. Alaska! The place we talk about riding to but never think we'll actually get to. Not fair.

And as usual I am in awe and insanely jealous of your photography skills. I try, but pale in comparison. Although, trying to get that epic shot from the back of a speeding KTM can be perilous. I find it all part of the fun.

Looking forward to your next journey!
    dave6253 likes this.
  20. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am late for this RR. Amazingly photographed and written. I fear that such a journey is highly improbable for me, but I really enjoyed living yours. Here I thought my wee little trip to Tn was a long one.....I am a rank amateur.

Your wife reminds me of mine. Mine is always up for a new adventure...when we can. She seldom complains and is a photog like you are. Me I am just the driver/rider that gets us from one "oohhh STOP!!!" spot to another.

Thank you for your efforts. Made my sick day from work much more livable!
    dave6253 likes this.