Heidenau 17" rears

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by sirtwisty, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Spoke

Spoke Wing Ding Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know, it was a terrible joke. I deserve a :bash I just couldn't resist.
  2. LemurPilot

LemurPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect April fools joke and you'll probably be able to use it next year too :lol3
    I wonder how the thread count numbers peaked after the post and how many pissed off tire vendors there are now from answering dumb questions?:clap
  3. Mika S

Mika S JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit worried that the #3 might not be as good in mud as the #1 was.

Any news yet?
  4. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Couldn&#8217;t wait for the 150 anymore so, I&#8217;m going with a 110 front/140 back. So, first I replaced the front. Took about an hour to replace, including balancing. I had to hit the tire a couple of time with a rubber mallet to seat the bead, but that was OK.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Then I started on the back, took about half an hour to remove and replace the tire. I thought I was doing great<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :clap<v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>. But after that&#8230;&#8230;..I worked for more that an hour just to seat the bead and it&#8217;s still not even close. Tried the rubber mallet, more lube, a strap around the tire, bouncing the tire, nothing seems to work. I will try again tomorrow but I&#8217;m thinking that my small 12 volt pump isn&#8217;t big enough to seat the bead (never had a problem before). Anybody had similar experience with a 140 heide on 4 inches rim? I&#8217;m thinking I may have to go to a gas station to use a real compressor, any advice?<o:p></o:p>
  5. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Gas station or compressor, I always leave the valve out to pressure it up first, only had to strap a tire once, it was the Heidenau.
  6. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the 150 would be easier to seat the bead, because it is wider so a bit more outward force on the beads.

Holding out for Heidis at the moment, but getting keen for some knobblies...might have to relent and cough up for TKCs, or maybe Karoos.
  7. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

I have the valve out and I am seeing some bubbles at the base of the beads but that is it. I have changed many tires before using a small 12 volt pump but on the Heide it just doesn't work, going to the gas station tomorrow.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
  8. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Be sure to press the beads into the rim and re-lube, before you try to reseat them.

Some go easy, others will just never happen dry.
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    OK rear tire is .........ON:clap. We had to bounce the tire a few time for the beads to start to seat and it took 60lbs for the beads to seat properly using a "real compressor". Now, I normally run my tires at 32 front/36 rear. I've noticed that the k60 scout says 36lbs max front and rear. What pressure should I run them at? I was thinking 30 front/32 rear for on road.

Here's an interesting view of 2 140/80 17 tires. The EXP is on a 3.5 inch rim and the k60 on a 4 inch rim. I don't think the k60 would look a lot different on a 3.5 inch rim!

[​IMG]

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /--><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
  10. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    The 150's are shipping as we speak in case you didn't know...check parallel universe for more information. I should have two any day. :clap:clap:clap
  11. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:

So where did you order them from? Happy that you got a pair, but sharing where you got them from would be cool... :-)

Thanks,

Matt.
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
  13. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived last Friday (150 rear) and I spooned them on late Sunday afternoon. Sidewalls are stiffer than some others I've installed, but no real drama using my tire irons. Beads seated OK, and balance was exactly as on the Tourances I removed (first time that's ever happened that I can recall). Unfortunately, haven't been able to even scuff them in yet as I flew out early Monday on a business trip but they look great on the GSA. That is some deep tread on the rear!
  14. channa51

channa51 chainx

Oddometer:
  15. ollka

ollka Usually lost

Oddometer:
    I love'em. After some practise, I found they work best with some 20% lower pressure than normal dual tires. Front 1,8bar instead of 2,2 and rear 2,0 instead of 2,5bar. Great handling on gravel roads and very tolerable on black stuff.
    Very good allrounder:clap:clap
  16. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I got mine today! :clap:clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Refplusten

Refplusten Relaxed...

Oddometer:
    Oh my Gawd!

It's ACTUALLY happening!

:rofl
  18. Spoke

Spoke Wing Ding Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's a bad prank! It can't be possible. After the Big Block reviews, I'll wait for SOG's tire beating test:lol3:lol3
  19. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    lol. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I am on Blackdog's list so....sooner or later, I will give them a good thrashing. ;)

They look like the real deal to me. Maybe they are. We will see.
  20. E double D

E double D are we there yet

Oddometer:
    x2:d