Garmin 2820, XM puck, and SRC

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dr Shafty, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dr Shafty

Dr Shafty hero in my own mind

Oddometer:
    2820 BT doesn't support A2DP, so I don't get XM via BT.
    Currently using a 3.5mm cable from GPS to helmet, cel phone BT to helmet. Has anyone been able, using a BT dongle per A2DP been able to pair your cel with the GPS and have it work with the BT?
    Garmin says cel is not supported via 3.5mm jack.

love to lose the cable
  2. khelsea

khelsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anybody have an answer?
  3. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A completely wireless solution might be possible by using 2 dongles, and custom wiring them to both the 3.5mm and 2.5mm jack (cell phone calls are possible through using both jacks). So, you'd need:

1) Headset capable of both Music (A2DP) and Voice Calls (HFP or HSP?) - most modern headsets are capable of this.

2) 1 Dongle capable of A2DP (i.e. Harley-Davidson BH-200M in Stereo mode, or Monoprice 109722 Bluetooth Transmitter and Splitter)

3) 1 Dongle capable of HFP/HSP (i.e.Harley-Davidson BH-200M in Mono mode)

4) Custom wiring connecting the A2DP dongle only to the stereo 3.5mm jack of the 2820, and the HFP/HSP dongle to one channel of the 3.5mm jack as well as to the 2.5mm jack.

The cost of A2DP dongles and wiring aren't that bad, but the HFP/HSP dongles tend to be harder to find (and sometimes expensive).
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I used to have a 2820, but the BT inside eventually gave up and I sold it. I've forgotten a lot about what it would do with BT.

If you have the BT dongle for A2DP hooked up to the 3.5mm port for music, does that somehow disable the internal BT from being connected for the phone? I can't remember if it did that or not?

If not, I wouldn't see why you would need 2 dongles then? Can you specific in settings what audio goes over BT like phone only and then nav and music would get routed over the BT dongle?
  5. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just played around with various setups a little more last night.
    The phone is disabled anytime the 2820 doesn't see both a speaker/microphone connection attached - either through the 2.5/3.5mm wired jacks, or alternatively through the Bluetooth Headset link.

As for using the 3.5mm jacks vs. a Bluetooth Headset, any time a Bluetooth Headset is connected, the audio coming out of the 3.5mm jack is disabled. And that happens regardless of whether or not you are actively using the Bluetooth Headset for a call. In this case, you could get by without the 2nd dongle, but you would need to go into settings and manually connect/disconnect to a Bluetooth headset.

From what I've read, I think either the 550 or 660 support configuring how audio gets routed (i.e. phone via BT and music via 2.5mm jack), but that feature isn't available on the 2820.
  6. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Yeah, probably your best bet, although I can tell you the Zumo 550 doesn't route XM audio over BT either. Only phone and MP3 audio. However with the use of a dongle, you can get BT A2DP audio from the GPS through the 3.5mm plug at the same time you are routing phone BT audio to a connected BT headset. This is the setup my Dad uses and works well. The 660 does all audio over BT.