WARNING against buying garmin maps by download

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by rens, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rens

rens R1200rt in the uk. R1150gs in new york

Oddometer:
    I'm posting this to warn anyone who tries to buy a map set from garmin by download,
    as I did last week, that the product will not work with mapsource.

As I already have mapsource that came with my (UK) unit, I thought there would
    be no problem simply downloading the North America maps as opposed to waiting
    for a DVD to be shipped to me. WRONG! while the site says that only the DVD
    "includes mapsource", apparently I was meant to intuit that the download does not
    work with my existing mapsource installation; i can only use this on my Zumo.

What is worse; garmin customer support have refused to allow me to exchange the
    download for the DVD; they essentially want me to pay the full fee again if I want
    to use the maps with my PC.

I cant believe that garmin has this little regard for their customers. Buyer beware.
    I for one do not plan on ever purchasing a device from them again.

Sordid details at http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=9522.msg76577
  2. rxcoop

rxcoop persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer:
    sorry about your experience. have been using maps by download from garmin for many years and have not had a problem (with US mapsets). also, i have found their customer service folks to be quite reasonable. maybe you got somebody on a bad day....might want to call back and see if you get someone else who is having a better day. these comments are based on your post here....did not go to zumo forums to read the 'sordid details'.

good luck and, as always, YMMV....
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I was eligible for a free map update and Garmin gave me an option to download versus shipping me an updated disk. I downloaded and installed without any problem although I basically just left the computer alone as it took about 4 to 5 hours.

Sorry to hear about your problems but my downloaded map update installed just fine. Of course, you do have to activate the mapset using the unlock code provided separately.

Jon
  4. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I just purchased and downloaded the newest (CN North America NT 2010.1) map set from the website and had no issues what so ever, installed into Mapsource and then into GPS.

The times that I have used Garmin support ended in a positive experience for me, back when you would order the upgrade DVD and then pay to unlock it once you got it, I once paid for an unlock code mistakenly for a previous version of CN that I had installed on my PC but never unlocked, called Garmin and they unlocked the most current version for me.
  5. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased and downloaded the Life Time Upgrade without any issues to my 60CSX using MapSource.
  6. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much was that? I have been real pleased with Garmin, on my 2nd one, and have good customer service from them when I have dealt with them.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I would definitely call them again and talk to someone else. You may have had a noob on the phone.
  7. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Garmin announced that they are launching a lifetime map subscription program for their GPS units, offering an update quarterly. Updates will be available via download. They aren't the first to jump on this type of an offering, but it's a welcome launch. I know that a lot of people who live in areas with a lot of change, need frequent updates to keep up with the changing landscape or roads, developments and businesses. Map makers like NAVTEQ get millions of changes a month, so the quarterly updates will certainly make for meaningful changes in whole.

"Having the most current and up-to-date maps help our customers get the most out of their satellite navigation device. With nüMaps Lifetime, access to the latest maps is just a few mouse clicks away," said Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales. "For just one single fee, our customers can be certain they're be traveling with the most current maps."

NüMaps Lifetime is available in three different versions:

City Navigator® North America NT ($119.99)
    City Navigator Europe NT ($139.99)
    City Navigator Transatlantic ($149.99)
  8. 97wing

97wing Wimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The newer maps will only work with the later version of Mapsource. Perhaps you just need the free Mapsource update. If your Zumo can read the maps, your PC should be able to.

Was the download saved to the PC and can be run again?
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I bought lifetime (of the GPS) upgrade card for my zumo and it not only upgraded the GPS but also Mapsource is now on version 10, for north america. Works fine for us on this side of the ocean. :dunno
  10. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    I've been using their products for 8 or 9 years.

I used to think Garmin support was excellent.

Now I think it is only fair to good.
  11. rens

Oddometer:
    My experience was with the UK support organization, and it was not random; I recieved the clear (and unbelievable) answer from their tech support representative that the download I had purchased was only for the device, and would not be usable in mapsource. I was escalated to his manager, "
    Emily", and she confirmed both that the download products do not work with mapsource and that there was nothing they would do for me as "The web page clearly says that mapsource is included in the DVD copy only".

She was also clear and helpful in explaining that the UPDATE downloads are different and do include mapsource ( have one for the Europe NT maps that came with my zumop and it works fine) so this woudl not affect people getting one-time or lifetime map updates to thier dvd purchases.

She was polite but completely and infuriatingly unhelpful. Based on the posts above I will try the US support line and see if I can get satisfaction there.

ZX1100F1, could you possibly confirm the product number and the date you bought it as that woudl help me make my case to support? The one I bought was 010-D0033-00 on the 10th of july.

-Rens
  12. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    I've had fine luch with the updates (again for the US) *IF* I update my GPS along with Mapsource. If I want the new maps on an additional computer's copy of Mapsource (i.e. my travel notebook) it's a bit more challenging.

Using an unzip program like 7-zip, unzip the gamin EXE file to your hard drive. If you look through the folders (the Windows folder if memory serves) there should be an EXE file that will only install the maps to mapsource (and not try to upgrade your GPS). Once done, open mapsource and unlock the maps via the "Unlock Region" tab.

I don't have the garmin file on this computer, but one of the EXE's in the installation file will just install maps, at least with the US version.
  13. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I've done it twice with the US version on two computers with the mapset installed on my zumo and also automatically installed on the computer, unlocked and ready for trip planning.
  14. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you're an AMA member you can get it for $89. Go to the AMA web site for details.
  15. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, good to know.
  16. rens

Oddometer:
    Let me reiterate because some of the posters above did not grasp the (absurd) problem. If you buy a new mapset via download from garmin's web shop it will not work with your mapsource. this is different from downloading an update for a product you bought on DVD or which came with your device; THAT download does in fact work with mapsource.

It sounds insane, I know, but I am now deep into it with both the sales and the tech support people and its certainly true.

So please be warned if you plan to use mapsource, don't buy new mapsets via download.

It would be nice if garmin labeled this limitation clearly on their website.
    even nicer if they did away with the limitation.

I hope they end up doing the right thing but I am a week, two calls, and 6 emails into this with them and they have not
    simply allowed me to exchange the product.

-Rens
  17. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One note with the lifetime map update is it is only good with your current GPS. If you get a new one or it breaks, lifetime update goes in the trash. Not transferable.