Help me decide on a sports tourer (or rather close to it)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by nemuro, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    The number of bikes that can do 250km/h (over 150mph) that aren't "sportbikes" is vanishingly small. Hayabusa, CBR1100XX, ZX-12 or -14, which are at or above your noted weight limit. Those are probably the only bikes that are going to come close to fitting the speed, weight, and other limits you've insisted on.
  2. Wobbleside

Wobbleside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since this is close to what I was looking for when I bought the Multistrada (probably too down on horsepower for you) I'll give you my list.
    1. Aprilia Futura (This bike is amazing, I still regret needing one but I hunted for one for sale with in 2k miles of me for a month)
    2. Ducati Multistraa ST3, ST4; pretty much the same as the Futura but a little more maintenance. The ST2 is a lot of fun as well but it's only got about 80hp. (Same as my Multi which suits me just fine) It's plenty fast for me on public roads in the US.
    3. Sprint ST, BMW R1100S, VFR 800 (6th gen). I really liked the Sprint 1050 but it felt like it took a lot of effort to steer. Engine is great. I really liked the Tiger 1050 because it felt similar but wide bars gave you lots of leverage. R1100S was suprisingly fun, easy maintenance, a little porky. You've done the VFR thing so we won't go.
    4. Bandit 1200/1250; FZ-1, ZZR1200, V-strom 1000
    I don't like I-4s. V-strom felt too much like a rolling couch.
    That was pretty much my list in order of preference. I ended up with a Multistrada 1000 DS which I love to death and I think ended up being a much better bike for me.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Is the Versys 1000 available in Romania?

Edit: missed the $5K budget (and the 150mph cruise).
  4. wipfel

wipfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Concours 14 2010 or newer to avoid heat issues.
  5. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I shipped mine from San Francisco to VT in '08...and very happy I did! There are some good Futuras out there. Always check the AF1 Racing Aprilia forum classifieds for good examples.
  6. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I can't think of a sport tourer (for 2 up) that is that fast and stable yet nimble and lite for traffic at slow speed.
    Do you know the expression: having your cake and eating it too? :deal
  7. Wobbleside

Wobbleside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah.. I spent a month hunting for one in range, just misses a gorgeous blue 04 with 10k miles on it. Like it got bought the day before I got the check for my totaled monster. It was march so I was a little limited on where I could fly and ride from by weather and cost of tickets. Of course the day I came home with the Multistrada another one got posted to AF1 in SoCal for a decent price. At that point I had been borrowing a housemate's bike for 5 weeks, I really needed transportation bad.
    I don't regret buying the Multistrada. I love it. It's a great bike but I still lust after the Futura.
    Of course since then several have been for sale local but I'm broke and have an agreement with my roommates to only own 1 vehicle when I'm not working full time. So I'll continue to lust after them.
    :rofl
  8. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned one and it was a fun bike. Tons of power and nice torque, fast but not Busa fast. Geometry was comfortable but brakes were so so. I have to voice my agreement on the Futura and the Rotax engines. GREAT! But even my RSV was not fast enough to cruise at your 150 mph requirement. Are there that many areas in Romania where you can do that? To me the fun starts when I start to lean, but to each it's own.
    Think about the ST, fast and agile in traffic and great 2 up. If you can do without the crazy speed go with the Ape or try an Adventure bike like a Tiger or a GS. You'll be surprised. I was.:rofl
  9. nemuro

nemuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe I got all of the answers are needed, Thank you all for this and sorry for posting this thread in two sections. it was a mistake. See you this summer :).
  10. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats exactly right, as far as trying a DS bike. I've had enduro bikes, motocross, sport touring, and now a ds, 990adv, the last bike before 990 was the VFR. I was actually interested in Super Duke and Triumph street triple, couldn't get a test ride on the Triumph. I took the SD for a ride and i really liked it, except the lack of wind shield. I was walking out of the shop, when the sales bloke suggested, that i take the 990adv for a spin. Might as well, while i was there, after half an hour ride, that was it. Six years later, the grin is still there. If you only do blacktop, GS would be a good choice, i've ridden the GS few times, and it's well worth a look. Friend of mine has the 1090 Tiger, which is an other canditate, sound of that three cylinder motor is music to the ears!

I read the op's note, well, someone else may be iffy, as what to buy, this might be of help.
  11. Malcontent

Malcontent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aprilia SL1000 Falco - kind of a split between a VFR and a crotch rocket.
  12. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Italian VFR. :clap

semi-rigid factory luggage was available, but I spent a few hours in a shop with a generic Givi Wingrack kit, hacksaw, and welder:

[​IMG]
  13. brentw1

brentw1 n00b

Oddometer:
    i have ridden the falco, vfr800 , owned a r1100s, r1200st, r1150rt, 07 k1200gt various hondas etc
    but the sprint 1050 I have with sorted out brakes, ohlins rear and modified front forks, is by far the best ride,
    but you will need to do the suspension and brakes, raise the rear slightly to improve the turn in, use good tires. it handles great and is probably the best motorcycle motor I have had, and I have driven them all including the short list on the top. and you can have a reasonable abs. the tripple has good grunt down low and still produces good power when spun up,
    it is easy to ride doesnt require endless shifting in the twisties. and comfortable enough for 400 mile runs, for me i have put bar risers on the later tall bars and that gives enough wrist relief, but it is more towards the sports end. gets good mileage better than the large twins.
    and they can be had for 4k or less.
    not perfect but a great bike for under 5k and for real world use a good abs system is imho very desireable.

the down sides are it does produce heat on the legs when it is above 90 degrees,
    the head lights suck, the factory bags are to small, I have givi keyless bags much better than the stock bags

otherwise properly set up I think the best SPORTS tourer,
    but I have the beemer for the sports TOURING activities with all of the electronic gadgets that reviewers think makes a good motorcycle, which I find distracting at best.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Based upon your criteria, here's another vote for the FZ-1
  15. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I did a review of my former Ducati ST3 to my new (to me) BMW R1200ST. I prefer the BMW.

I had an aprilia RSV 1000R and loved it. I was looking for a Futura when I decided on something close, but different and went with the Ducati.

The Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (not the heavier GT) was one of my favorite sport tourers and would recommend it highly, based on a few rides and a friend who loves his 25k later.

I'll re-paste my review here:

The Bikes:
    2004 Ducati ST3
    2005 BMW R1200ST

Fit & Finish:
    I would call this close to a tie, with a slight edge going to the BMW. Both bikes are very well put together with no wide panel gaps or squeaks & rattles.

Comfort & Ergos:
    This one goes to the BMW. The stock Ducati seat wasn't bad, but the BMW seat is a lot more comfortable, and I prefer the 2 piece design over the huge banana style Duc seat. The BMW has the High/Low riders seat and I have it in the High position. Very cool feature. The faux carbon fiber material on the BMW seat feels thicker and of a better material then the one on the Duc. I can't say if the BMW seat is the stock one as I bought it used and am still learning about it, but I would assume it is as the bike is just about completely stock. As far as riding position, the BMW is slightly more upright while still being sporty. The BMW places less weight on your wrists and has more leg room. I'm just under 6' 2" and am mostly arms and legs (34-35" inseam). I could flat foot my KLR650 and swing a leg over without mounting the pegs first. I definitely prefer riding the BMW so far. The wife has ridden on both and prefers the BMW hands down for comfort.

Luggage:
    The BMW came with genuine BMW side bags and top case. I had to buy the brackets and side bags for the Ducati when I got. Absolutely NOT the Ducati's fault. The BMW bags are bigger and A LOT easier to use. You can close and secure them without locking them so if you want access, just push the button. Big time plus! Mounting and dismounting are easier on the BMW as well. The Ducati didn't have a top case so no direct comparison, but the one on the BMW is superb in every way. The guy I bought my ST3 from had another ST3 with the matching top case and it wasn't as nice as the one on the BMW.

Lighting:
    The Ducati had great stock lighting. I found it easy to ride at night compared to some previous motorcycles I owned. I did have an issue with it's 2 headlight setup with one high and one low with no option to have both on. It always looked like one was burned out. I see just about every new Japanese bike has this layout now, and to me it's annoying. Everyone picks on the "tombstone" headlight on the R1200ST but DAMN this thing kicks ass for night time riding! Both lights illuminate on high, and even with stock bulbs it's BRIGHT! Both bikes had front turn signals integrated into the front fairings with amber bulbs under clear glass. For rear lights, both stock tail/brake lights are sufficiently bright and easy to see. The Ducati had amber rear turn signals on goofy stalks that looked out of place with the side bags removed. The BMW has clear rear turns with amber bulbs on mini stalks that are nicely styled into the rear of the bike that look fine with or without bags in place.

Performance/motor:
    Ducati - 992cc L-Twin, 102hp @ 8750rpm, 68.6 lb-ft @ 7250rpm
    BMW - 1170cc Boxer Twin, 110hp @ 7250rpm, 84.8lb-ft @ 6000rpm

Both bikes fall more on the sport side of the sport-touring compromise. Neither are sport bikes with bags, but they are nowhere near slow or underpowered. The Ducati felt a little more lively leaving a stop, but the tractor like torque of the BMW is intoxicating. You can forget to downshift and the BMW just pulls you through curves like a Kenworth. Both have been into the 120+ mph club with me and neither one had any problems getting, or staying, there. The BMW seems less affected by strong headwinds and both were about the same with strong cross winds. The BMW is being ridden like I stole it, and is getting excellent fuel economy. Probably around 55mpg-ish. The Ducati was always steady in the mid to high 40's. Overall in terms of power as an attribute, they are both amazing machines, but I prefer the BMW. The Ducati was EXTREMELY touchy in terms of RPM. Get it under 4k and it felt like an old dump truck bucking and heaving. The BMW has been down around 2k under load and not one ounce of "jitteriness". Both applied power in an almost electric like fashion, but the clear torque advantage of the BMW is very tough to overcome.

Transmission:
    This one is a clear win for the Ducati. Both are 6 speeds with adequate spacing, including a high enough 6th gear to allow 90+mph slabbing to be drama free affairs, but the Ducati is in another league when it comes to smooth gear changes. The BMW is decidedly "clunky", which upon some research seems to be a BMW trademark. I have read A LOT of "they are all like that" comments on various forums. I don't doubt it's ruggedness though, as there are thousands of R1100/1150/1200 bikes with over 100k miles out there and no one seemed to have specific transmission issues. Not counting the spline issues that seem to have hit the 1150's the most.

Final Drive:
    The Ducati is chain drive while the BMW is shaft. All I can say is thank heaven for shaft drive as I am SO tired of cleaning chains. [​IMG]

Weight:
    Ducati - 447.5lbs "dry", 499.7lbs "wet"
    BMW - 451.9lbs "dry", 504.9lbs "wet"

I found wildly different numbers in researching this. Both seem about the same to me, but I would say the Ducati was a tad lighter from having to push them both around the garage, although not back to back.

Features:
    The Ducati was available with ABS latter on, but the one I had did not have it. My BMW has it and is my first ABS equipped bike. The BMW also has heated grips, adjustable windscreen and cruise control. Both bikes brake very well and although I have tried to get the ABS to kick on in ultra hard panic stops, I have felt no pulsing or vibrations in the lever or pedal.

Instrumentation:
    The Ducati had a dial tachometer and a digital speedometer, a layout I prefer. The BMW uses dials for both. The Ducati had a digital engine temperature gauge, the BMW uses a digital bar graph. The Ducati had various functions to display on the screen, but always defaulted back to the odometer when restarted. Every time you got back on it was scrolling through menus using buttons on the dash. The BMW has a digital display as well and scrolling from Trip I to Trip II to the odometer is done via a button on the left handlebar. A lot easier and more comfortable to do, especially while moving. They both have a digital bar graph fuel gauge. The BMW actually has a "count down" feature when you reach 1/4 tank, where it takes your current average fuel economy and available fuel level and counts the miles down to empty. It was fascinating watching it go 48 miles, 47 miles, 46 miles, etc... [​IMG] Another really great idea. The BMW has a gear indicator which the Ducati did not. I like having one I have to admit. Both had digital clocks. The Ducati cluster was a tad better lit at night.

Overall Impression:
    As of right now, I have to say I like the BMW better. The wife says it's no contest as a passenger. Service on the BMW seems to be a lot easier and probably less expensive as well. The shaft drive and single sided swingarm are beautiful to look at. The Ducati had the carbon fiber exhaust can without baffles so you knew it was coming! [​IMG] The BMW has a stock can and sounds like a sewing machine. That has to be fixed ASAP!!! The non-dive feature of the Telelever front suspension is wonderful. Not as good at communicating road surface "feel" as conventional forks, but you get used to it. I have to say I'm very happy with the decision.
  16. whittrated03

whittrated03 Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer:
    2003-2005 Yamaha fz1 hands down. I rode one all over the nation. 100k on odo when i sold it for 4,000$
  17. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    I had an 01 FZ-1 before I totaled it....it was a fantastic bike. Great power, good wind protection, light enough to be fun but heavy enough to not get blown all over the road, great ergonomics (I'm 6'2" 200lbs), roomy for a passenger, long maintenance intervals....the list goes on.
  18. M Singer

M Singer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss my 1st gen FZ1. IMO it is the greatest UJM ever made! Bolt on mods can get it almost to 150 rear wheel hp! Factory jetting sucks, but that is easy and cheap to fix. Mine averaged low 40's mpg and even when riding her hard, fuel economy nerve dropped below hi 30's mpg. Even clean low mileage examples are not selling for much over $3000 now.
  19. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Uh...that would be the Futura, not the Falco :lol3