Off road to motogp

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Niallo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Niallo

Niallo I'm ****ed!!

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I'm thinking of going to GP but want to take as much dirt roads in the way down, and back. Is anyone of the same mind set and would like to join in or is there a small group I can tag along with. I went down for the Super Bikes this year and did about 60% off road. It was a blast of a trip. Want to do it again. Drop me a line if interested.
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    28th oct 2013? i've got a long term plan to ride to sydney but i'm planning on about 90% off road and taking four to five days just to get to sydney. probably won't suit you but if that sounds good i figure i could always peel off getting close to canberra, visit family then join up again around the same spot as you head back?
  3. Fatguts McCantRide

Fatguts McCantRide On a diet and learning

Oddometer:
  4. Niallo

Niallo I'm ****ed!!

Oddometer:
    Hi B1 thanks for the reply but I'm going in the wrong direction and I'm interested in 2012. I maybe into your trip next but you obviously better organized than me. I'll keep in touch.
    Niallo
  5. Niallo

Niallo I'm ****ed!!

Oddometer:
    Hi mate that looks like a great wee trip. I'd love to go the whole way on dirt. Are you based in Sydney? If you are keen we will need to get organized pretty quick.
  6. Fatguts McCantRide

Fatguts McCantRide On a diet and learning

Oddometer:
    Was actually planning this exact trip but got a fortnight away for work a week later so no go anymore. Have a blast.
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, especially b1 , do some research on seasonal track closures if you're wanting to do this on the more challenging trails.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/fire,-flood-and-other-closures/seasonal-road-closures2

A couple of years ago we did the high country between here and canberra, wandering around for about 2 weeks, but in early november so the tracks had just been opened. Theoretically. There were trees down everywhere. It was fantastic.

If you just want dirt roads then tell me to pull my head in, most of them will be open.
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i'll be going both ways so could always time my return to bris with you heading up, or vice versa. that's if the timing worked okay. regardless, pm me in a few months and i'll probably have my route completed in mapsource by then and i can pass it on if you wanted to use it as a draft for your trip.

thanks for the heads up, Dr AT. already saw that some tracks are only open for a few months (in torrington or barrington or something or other). fallen trees just add to the fun, i'll be on an adventurised FE570 but how gnarly it gets will be based on how light the other bikes are!
  9. Niallo

Niallo I'm ****ed!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the info and I'll see how I'm fixed in a few months B1. Btw if when you go check a great dirt road I did from Jamieson (Vic) to the start of the reef ton Spur passing through some mine settlements. Saying that it might be a easy for you experienced boyos.
    Keep between the ditches .
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    good find, fatguts. :thumb it's just a pile of gps coordinates but spent a half hour joining the dots to make a tracklog of it in case i ever get down that far. awesome scenery....

[​IMG]

niallo, just remembered a while ago a guy gave me his tracklog of a ride he did from sydney to phillip island. i combined it with the above to make a 3000km loop and posted it here if you want to use it as a template for your route.

no contact details for the guy who gave me the tracklog but he was on a DR650, reasonabiy experienced rider, and said it was mainly easy dirt roads and some bitumen, especially around ACT. the big 4wd loop back out west probably has some huge distances between fuel stops, would need a lot of research to confirm fuel stops, accuracy of the route and whether creek crossings would be passable etc.
  11. Niallo

Niallo I'm ****ed!!

Oddometer:
    Sound B1. Yeh i'm not that hardcore yet. I love riding the dirt but working out fuel stops is a bit taxing on the grey matter at present. I'll probably go.. get lost...and have a great time. I'll give you all a wee round up when I get back. If "her that must be obeyed lets me back". Thanks all. Talk soon.