Compact/Midsize trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Oct 27, 2012.

1. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I HAD it and stupidly let it go... a 2002 Dodge 2500 cummins/auto trans with an exhaust jake/
    I was getting 25mpg with a 3/4 truck- I NEVER got that with my 2009 4 banger Tacoma 4x/5 spd. :eek1
  2. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a lot higher than I got with a 1999 4x4 Cummins diesel, 3/4 ton. I think I got 21 or a bit higher on long highway drives, but definitely not 25. YMMV, as always... :deal
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    You're shy 5mpg!

Why not get an old dodge caravan and drop a junkyard diesel engine in? Big storage , tiny thirst.

My next shitbox truck will be a puke purple people hauler with a 5 speed oil burner swapped in.

Or a volvo turbo brick
  4. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Driving on I70 near Effingham, IL, I saw a car hauler with a bunch of new Colorados on it. There were also some small trucks on there with some heavy camouflage on them. In addition to the normal 'dazzle' wrap, these had some padding on them to obfuscate the lines. That was a little odd since the Colorado is already on sale in other parts of the world.

Makes sense since Wentzville is on I70 but the camo vehicles are what interested me.

No pics, sorry.
  5. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma here. 39,100 miles on the clock been getting 21 MPG average for the last 2.5 years. was getting 18 MPG when my work commute was only two miles one way, now its 8 and interstate all the way.
    basic white work truck the only option is auto trans. 2.7 liter motor would probably do better with a man trans but they were dealing with this one the day I decided I was buying.
    I really want a car truck like the no longer available el camino, ranchero, brat, baja, rabbit, rampage.
    Am I the only one longing for a cartruck?
  6. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Damn, I miss my BRAT. :cry
  7. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a city dweller. I don't want an car and a trailer, or a pickup with a bed above my waistline. A modern smallish cartruck would be awesome.

I keep cruising CL for an '81 baby blue el camino anyway. Just because. :lol3
  8. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I've had a few small trucks but this one was by far my favorite. My old buddy Brian and I welded in a 5 inch lift and built the bumpers at his shop, D+B Welding. Loved this thing. With the rear seats out it could haul my three wheeler.

[​IMG]
  9. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Made some lemonade out of the above. I found this beauty online yesterday and drove the 300 miles to pick it up near Pittsburgh. Took it over to UHaul and rented a tow dolly to get our car and this back home. I think it's a shame they don't make these anymore. They were even made in the USA.

[​IMG]
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    :nono Not an El Camino but a Caballero. :deal

Say it with pseudo Ricardo Montalban voice. "I drive a Caballero."

[​IMG]
  11. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
  12. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
  13. Bongo_52

Bongo_52 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Saw several small 4-door diesel powered trucks (Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi, Toyota Hilux) on my last trip to Scotland. This is the type of truck we need here: http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Ranger/Performanceandefficiency

----->Al
  14. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    Me three!

Just brought my son home from grad school, towed a 5' x 8' U-Haul through the gut of Boston back to NH. Zero problems, as I have come to expect. There are very few things about the Ridgeline that I don't like. It has been a great truck.
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ridgeline suffers from poor gas mileage so its off my radar...

Not all Americans want to piss $$$ out their exhaust. Its unfortunate that there truly doesn't seem to be a vehicle on the market that suits my needs:cry
  16. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    The last time I checked mine I got 19 highway/city combined. moving furniture while in town. Granted, it isn't in the Civic range, but it is respectable for a truck and I didn't buy it expecting to get 30MPG. I have not checked it just highway for a while. My 04 Pilot got nearly 24 on a trip to Maine with four people and luggage. I was so shocked I triple checked it.

Perhaps you'll have to build one then.
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Same here. My truck is a 2001 F150. Its starting to rust out. It will have to hang in there for a while longer, I suppose. I don't see anything coming down the pike that will replace it.
  18. NiñoMoco

NiñoMoco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked this up for $200. Get 20 mpg pretty regular with mixed driving. Some guy smashed the right side of it about a year later and I got $2000. Still driving it so it has paid me.
    [​IMG]
  19. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small diesel pickups are out there in the USA, but they are rare. Probably the best are the Toyotas but they are underpowered for most people in the US. I would find them so too as I think my gas 4 cyl. Toy pickup is underpowered and it has 20 percent more power than the turbo diesel Toy pickups.

There are some people who are putting the 5 cyl MB 1980s diesels in some Toyota pickups - supposed to be a good swap and a long life engine.

A few stick in a Cummins 4BT but that seems to me to be a very heavy engine for the truck, limited RPMs (makes its power between 1600 and 2000 RPM) and would need a close ratio six speed built to handle the engine, which the only ones suitable would add hundreds of more pounds to the already heavy combo. Then you would have to add axles that could handle the weight and power. It would probably wind up being a 4000 pound truck - which while lighter than my almost 8000 pound Dodge with a 6BT in it, would probably be an altogether different pickup with regards to handling.
  20. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear:ear

DW