Quadrotors and Multirotors

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by biggziff, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    So yeah, pursuing a master's degree in "integrated geospatial technology". Which means I basically geek the fuck out over anything involving aerial imagery or things with GPSen.

Which makes this the perfect hobby for me. :lol3

Looking to get started with something to loft a small handheld camera or along that lines. Really want something that can fly totally autonomous.

Really liking this: http://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris

Heard really good things about 3DR's APM autopilot, and the pixhawk looks even better.

Thoughts? Am I in way the fuck over my head? Will chicks totally dig it?
  2. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:

Oh yeah, chicks totally dig this shit. :lol3
  3. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about that last night as I was hovering 6' from my head with the props at eye level...I thought....this probably isn't the best idea I've ever had.
  4. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    SOLD! It'll be here in 2-3 weeks. :evil
  5. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    You best start ordering condoms in bulk. That's how we roll.
  6. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Oh sweet baby Jesus. I must have one.
  7. biggziff

Oddometer:
    I dialed up the stick scaling on my Simplecopter tricopter to the same levels Matt Hall told me he uses in his videos. Holy shit. This thing is a flipping machine now. Front, back flips and rolls at 5-8' off the ground are quick! Thanks God for the 1.6++ KK firmware and tons of expo.

I'm going to have to buy some better packs though. The Glacier 2600 3S packs I have are getting burned up pretty fast now that I'm hammering the throttle to flip and recover.

Dorked it in 3 times hard. Nothing broken, not even a prop. This is a great platform for anyone learning to fly multis. Highly recommended.
  8. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    What PI and scaling are you using/did he recommend?
  9. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Cool - glad you like it. Nice to see the ongoing development of the KK2.
  10. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Scaling on ail and ele is 120 for tight loops/rolls. I'm using 65% expo on those. Rudder is 65-75 SS with 20% expo.

PI is left at default

Here's a video...around 33:00 he starts with the setup

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e6K4NXoq-Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I haven't played with the KK lately so I'd like to download 1.6 and start doing some aerobatics :D
  12. biggziff

Oddometer:
    It's very sweet with 1.6++. Throttle management on the flips makes them very dramatic....snappy, but you can do them WFO too...they're just really fecking noisy! My neighbors were paying attention last night.

I've ordered a bunch of LEDs to make this thing more visible in the waning light of fall...49 yr old eyes have issues near dusk.

FYI, I've got a genuine DJI 450 full up frame that I don't need if someone wants to start building quickly.
  13. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    1.6++ downloaded and installed! Just need to add some expo and I am good to go! I left my PI at default, Stab PI at 50/20, and using Medium Stab Mixing. Left scaling at 90 for now.

Trying it out tomorrow!

Which mix setting are you using? What are you switching it with? I see there are three settings, one and three are used on my two-position Mix switch. I may leave it Med mix/acro or I may try to put it on my 3-pos flap switch if and when I get an alarm. I sold my HT-FPV quad to a guy in Kansas and think I sent him the buzzer with the Crius FC stuff by mistake.
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    It was a little foggy and misty but I decided to fly anyway. This is my work (a museum). I really need some editing software.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Y0OQgE-CCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Nice...are you happy with the stability of that unit when recording? It seems like it's twitchy (maybe it was windy?)

Note to self...don't try doing triple flips after drinking triple glasses of wine. I lost my bearings when flying last night and flew the tricopter into my leg breaking a prop at the hub! Thank God I had jeans on and 2 sets of keys in my right pocket. My leg has 2 welts, but the keys took the brunt of the beating....no more FUI for me....

16. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    It was breezy at ground level and even more so up high. I also don't have any expo in it and it constantly self levels in Smart and Stability modes. I do need to practice smoother filming.

No more FUI for you! Glad you're ok!
  17. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I got a newb question. My daughter (7yo in November) wants a RC plane. I know--what kid gets a plane?! Well I'm not going to go plane but will guide her to a quadrotor or car/buggy/truck instead.

Of the quadrotors, what's the best bargain for $100-ish (preferably, less than $100).

If you're wondering, if she gets bored with it--I'll "suffer" and play with it myself (don't tell the wife!). So I'm thinking "better than Toys R Us" but not "she's going to break it within 10-minutes, why did you let a kid play with it?"

Any help is appreciated because I don't really know anything about this.
  18. biggziff

Oddometer:
    I'd lean towards the Blade Nano QX. Easy to fly indoors, robust and fun. Switch off the safe mode stability and it's a handful! I think I paid $65 on ebay with extra batteries. I'd recommend that you get the bind and fly model and then pick up a used Spektrum DX6 or DX7 for $50-$70 so you have a good transmitter that can be used for a long while...or, if you get bored you can sell it for about what you paid for it.
  19. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    +1 Awesome quad for the money. Best part about (most) hobby grade stuff is replacement parts and customer support.

Blade makes the nQX and is owned and distributed by Horizon Hobby which makes multiple other types of quads, airplanes, helicopters, boats, and cars.
  20. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple photos from tonight's flying. I have a video uploading to youtube that will explain the second one better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]