The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree. and my post a few pages back was just kind of to see why others felt that about an old design. I wonder why the Schofield never caught on? I always liked that disign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I've always liked the Schofields too, although have never owned one. I think they came close to being the Army revolver at the time the Colt SAA was adopted, but the Army wanted the 45 Colt cartridge rather than S&W's Schofield round which was smaller, and S&W refused. I also believe that the break-top design proved to be less rugged and more complicated, although it was vastly quicker and easier to reload, especially for cavalry troops on horse-back, and the gun didn't handle/balance quite as well in the opinion of most soldiers. And, biggy for the Army, the Schofields were more expensive. Jesse James supposedly used one and they were fairly popular with some of the "professionals" back in the Old West.
  3. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    Let me rephrase my question.

What is done in the manufacturing process to require at least a four or five fold increase in price over the typical 1911?
  4. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I suspect it involves some hand-fitting, close tolerances, fancy polish/finishing, etc.....oh, and don't forget brand cachet! I agree, however, and while I love a nice 1911 have a very hard time justifying anything above the $1200-1500 level, and even that seems too steep to me. I think it is a lot like some other things, bicycles, skis, etc., where you can get a very respectable/decent machine for $700-800, a very nice one for $1000-1500, but when you get above that price-point it's diminishing returns. Whereas a $1500 gun might arguably (although I'm not sure I buy it) be twice as nice as a $750 gun, a $3000 gun is not twice as nice as a $1500 gun and you're paying more for name recognition and cosmetics.
  5. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have the non compact. never had a fail to fire or anything else weird...not sure how many rounds through it or how long i've had it, paper in the box says i gave just under $500 for it so it must have been awhile. :lol3
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    And marketing.

:deal
  7. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Solely becaue break tops fell out of favor when rounds got to higher pressures and they couldn't be gaurenteed to stand up strength wise. A break top isn't as strong a design as a solid top strap frame....I love the Schofields, great idea. Beauty of a design.
  8. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    I will agree that after a certain point, all you can do is make one prettier. I have had 1911s that cost me close to a grand shoot every bit as well as my Wilson Super Grade which at the time when I got it was 2558.00 and I sold it for $4500.00! It felt better in my hand than all but one of my 1911s to this day, but still, the one I had that cost me the least, the Defender, shot the best and looked friggin bad ass and I had maybe 400 into it. Sure I got a screaming deal on it and Ted Yost did it up free for me whilst I was at Gunsite, but that gun would have cost someone else 3500 easy to have done. Shoot, right now I have a all stainless SA Loaded that I bought used for 450, it shoots as well as any 1911 I have ever had and only has a match barrel, bushing, and a trigger job.
  9. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    Well, considering many over 2
    or 3K 1911s START as a billet frame and slide, they have to be completely hand built. This is hours and hours of hand fitting of the slide to frame, THEN the fitting of all the parts ensues, and there are a bunch of parts that have to be hand fit PERFECTLY for looks and function to make a 1911 worth the selling price of over 3K. I hear a good smith like ted yost has over 100 hours inot a complete top endy 1911 of hand fitting and finishing.
  10. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    9mm or .45?
  11. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    it could have 5000 rounds and still work like new
  12. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    If its good enough for the SEALs, its good enough for me
  13. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    If he doesn't back out of the trade, it's a done deal.
  14. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    A GOOD dealer should sell both.
  15. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do places like Gander Mountain deal on their guns or do they just hold them until they sell at the advertised price?

Thanks for the 1911 info SniperX!!
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    And .38 super.
  17. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    get the 9mm then
  18. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    think the bargan plasces like Gnader and Sportsmans have such a low margin, they don't deal but it doesn't hurt to go ask them after finding something you are definitely interested in. Here's what I would do, go look at all the 1911s, find one you definitely want to buy, tell the sales man I want this gun...right now, today, but what is the best price out the door, right now you can give me. If he drops it then buy it if not and you knwo you can get it cheaper somewhere else, OR if that is the best price, BUY it! Don't go in with no purchase leverage and ask for a deal, that isn't how a sales person works. They feel if you have money in posket RIGHT NOW and are going to make a purchase, then they will work with you. Now this has to be on a high end firearm because they can sell the entry level cheap stuff to someone else.
  19. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

This, And sometimes if nothing else you can get a holster or some ammoe thrown in just to seal the deal. :deal
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Ammo cost?