Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK gents, as you may recall some pages and pages earlier I said I will make luggage system myself for my Tiger to get it within 85 cm WITH panniers and there was doubt. Eventually I bought LeoVince can I wanted and it was time to do luggage.
    So I took same old panniers I had - plastic off Aprilia Pegaso.
    Then I found in corner of my garage remains of Suzuki Bandit Givi luggage system, namely 2 rounded frames with everything cut off them. Then I went to local DYI store to buy 2 meters of small diameter pipe meant for water I think. Thick walls.

This is result so far. Fabrication complete/ What left is what I hate most - in "American Chopper" it happens by magic :) - cleaning welds (I am "gorilla" welder with sticks and small invertor), cleaning all, prepping, painting etc.

Results: width with 2 panniers exactly 850 mm. Handlebar is 870 because of handguards. Voila.
    With stock exhaust I could fit it in 890 mm. Racks are symmetrical (perhaps because of exhaust they do not appear so on picture, but measured symmetrical).
    For unexplainable reason Photobucket turns one photo upside down. Beats me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent work mate they look great
  3. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't beat the Heidendau K-60's. stick like glue in the twisties, aggressive enough for most off road, except mud. Front screams a little over 60 MPH (ear plugs fix that). I saw in the pix of a few LA2bVegas practice runs that some were running the K-60's even in the deep sand washes.
  4. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    There are lots of tire threads over in the equipment section. My vote is the TKC 80 front and back.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job!

You could've tacked things in place and, then, had a shop do the finish welds. :wink:
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but...I am in wrong country for that :cry any kind of work like that is very expensive here and to be honest everyone using MIG welders "quick weld" which usually means shallow welds and not very strong. Ideally it should be done with TIG, but when I mention TIG here rare shops that do it getting that "builders spark" in their eyes accompanied by money-counting-gesture :lol3
    Belgium is no more industrial it seems :cry
    If I'd be in US or UK I would not think twice and do it for sure.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that. Too bad.
  8. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    considering i got well over 60 most of my riding, this could be an issue lol I use my bike to commute everyday to and from work doing a lot of freeway so i need good road tires... from i've read and research done... they don't exist to have both.. :scratch
  9. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Impressive work man!!
  10. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
  11. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

+1 on the FullBores. Just love 'em.

American Moto Tire now carries them as well. >$150 for a set.

They come from a modified mold of the 705 from Shinko, but different compound. The 150 rear is a V-rated radial.

Sure, they won't last as long as a K60, but hook up as well on and off and basically half the cost. Plus everyone complains about mounting and dismounting the K60's and the M40/41's are a piece of cake. Knob height is slightly less as well. Did I mention they are half the cost? :D
  12. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    Yes its pretty good for a general tire and for the price its pretty awesome. Its not perfect but gets the job done for sure. Also a thread on here has some false information such as they are made in China. Not true. Obviously not everything you read on ADV rider should be believed. Different agendas at work for sure.
    [​IMG]
  13. flyfishbc

flyfishbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can't believe what a difference putting amsoil in my bike made. shifts so much smoother and runs quieter. i'm sold. ran motul till now. not going back.:D
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a set of Conti Motion, on my 1050. The tread is definitely shallower than the premium priced stuff, but, I gave $197 for the set. I usually pay that much for just the rear, with premium tires. Obviously, I'm going to get less mileage out of them; maybe half.

I thought the aforementioned Conti Motion were made in Germany, since they're Continental. But, they're made in Malaysia. At first, I was concerned. However, I've ridden most of the summer two-up. There might be a 1/4" of "chicken strip" left. Other than tire life, because of the reduced tread depth, I've got no complaints about them.

Strangely, I was on AMT's site, yesterday, looking at Full Bore's 120/180 offerings ($170 set). I was, also, looking at Michelin's Pilot Road 3, as they offer a "special" two-up rear tire that I'm curious about. I just have to get over the price difference and remind myself that they'll probably last twice as long as the cheap stuff. Unlike, a lot of motorcyclists, I'm willing to experiment with the off-brands, on the street.
  15. BiganDaft

BiganDaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    this is my Tiger, slightly customised, but it works for me
  16. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I ran through two sets of Conti Motions, one on my CBF1000 and one on my wife's Street Triple. I had no issues on my CBF but Jodie didn't like the Conti's because they squirmed when crossing the painted lines or on tar snakes. Put a set of Michelin PR2s on her Street Triple and she loves them, says they're rock stable. We both got about 12,000kms (7500miles).

I really like the BattleWings on the Tiger on the street and have a set of TKC80s that I switch for trail rides but am going to try the Full Bores when the BattleWings wear out.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Which screen attachment (laminar lip) do you have on it?
  18. BiganDaft

BiganDaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's from a company in South Africa called "Aerotrim".
    www.aerotrim.co.za.
    Very easy to fit.
    I found that although I didn't have any buffeting, I did have a lot of wind noise, now, it is very quiet.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I assume that is the "small" model?
  20. BiganDaft

BiganDaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, thats right