Mexico Insurance

Discussion in 'Americas' started by knim14, Nov 11, 2011.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    SB you ARE!!! getting cantankerous in your old age? :huh Take it easy on the guy! :D
    FWIW & to get this (decidedly minor)"lively exchange" into perspective: Snohut , you've decided to reproach one of the most civil, helpful & seasoned Mexico travelers on ADV. I don't know that I've ever noticed any semblance of SB being what would be called fully pissed off, merely always willing to share benefit of his many travels via constantly monitoring these Mexico travel threads for those times he can interject a bit of wisdom via experience. To the point perhaps but not a dicey guy.

Now, getting back to the topic of Mexico travel insurance-I'd like to see a solution to the time of coverage/cost problem. On bike trips I've gone for over a month each time but far less than 6 months but end up paying for 6 months insurance as it's cheaper than the month at a time rate. My "ideal policy" would be one with a reasonable amount of liability & also theft coverage for the bike @ say $4-5k level- Solution is???:ear

I've bought from several of the larger sellers(they all pretty much sell the same basic Mexico insurers) & I've have been told by seasoned ins. agents that high levels of liability are a waste in Mexico as they are generally not "sue crazy" as in USA.One guy salid in umpteen years in the business he'd never seen a suit over -it was less than $10k I've also read the opposite that you need high levels there too. Seems most Mexico policies don't allow bike theft coverage either.
    SO: Time of coverage vs. cost:earlogical amt. of liability:eartheft coverage:ear???

BTW,I actually like fruitcake-the high dollar Corsicana,Texas kind-not the crappy dimestore version. Of course, fat chance that the above will send me one so said simply in defense of fruitcakes that are the "real ones"!
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chapter Three

.....he pined loudly, hoping that others at the reception on Francis' yacht would hear. He was slowly rocking back and forth in his burgundy Amedeo Testonis, as if for emphasis. Nancy couldn't help feeling transfixed. In fact, she wanted to give in to it, and to him. To her, luxury was like a drug, better than cocaine.
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    A la chingada with the fruitcake for Christmas. I think Bob Loblaw needs to post the "Bob's woodshed" photo on this thread.

No! Nooooooooooo! NOT THE WOODSHED PHOTO! :eek1:eek1 Yes, the woodshed is where they make the fruitcakes and is located in Matamoros, a place that Nancy visited once, was transfixed holding a stare like a deer caught in the headlights, a luxurious deer, and she gave in to Matamoros willingly.

Now, my contribution. Whatever Mex insurance you get, be damn sure it includes an "Amparo" and for a certain amount.
    This should be made clear to you. The "amparo" is similar to a pre-paid bail bond so you don't sit around in jail waiting for investigators and reports etc... This is the single most important thing. Also, though it is strongly denied by some government types and attorneys here, is that the expenses you will incur for injuring someone will end up greater than for killing someone, in the long run. So will your time spent in jail. The "amparo" is your get out of jail card and don't forget that, ever.

For the record, when Sjoerd talks it is usually worth listening to. When he mentions a thick skin is your friend in Mexico, it is for a reason.:deal
    HellsAlien likes this.
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Chapter Four

.....he stammered merrily, just after as he let the remaining drops of tequila fall to his lips. He smacked them and smiled, catching his balance as best he could. He still wasn't able to understand why the taste of the brand was no longer crisp. As it often went, that was lost at the beginning of the evening, long after full shots were being drunk. The gallon bottle was empty now.....
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal:clap Great stuff!
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I don't mind fruitcake! Needs to be around 4-5 year vintage though.. :ricky
  8. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read a RR a while back about someone who ran into a Mexican firetruck, the moto burned up but firetruck obviously fared better. It makes me wonder if you were in an accident with a government vehicle would they nail you for big liability? I agree theft is my major concern, and I understand most people stick with liability only, is that because their normal policy covers theft and comprehensive? My agent was positive my policy does not cover liability in Mexico which I expected, but I wasn't sure about comprehensive or theft. He is suppose to get back with me today. He has had policy holders run to Cabo for a few months in the winter in which case he changed the policy to storage for that period of time, but he has never had to deal with a claim down there. Also how critical would the legal representation, bail, bonds etc be coverage be? I have seen that quite often on quotes.

I suppose what caught me off guard was being accused of going "off topic" when I hadn't, and then being told my post was "pointless" and of no value because of missing key information which was actually in the previous posts. It seems the topic can be changed to fruitcake without repercussions though . :wink: Hopefully the mis-communication is cleared up now, I may even buy his book.. ;) Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to run into him and buy him a drink..
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    This is going off topic:

[​IMG]

Don't worry about going off topic. We love you, man :freaky
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride sanely and keep eyes open to any hazards, like intersections , and you can avoid accidents that might destroy a bike.For the occasional minor drops and dings and the bike can be ridden or repaired and in such cases any insurance woukld likely not even kick in as you will be within the deductible limit. So in that case your super-duper- insurance cover is wasted money anyway. You are riding a used bike as soon a s you leave the showroom and its resale value quickly declines
    Keep up the accident - free riding and buy only the liability insurance and after a few years you will have saved so much money that you are your own insurance underwriting company if your bike does go up in flames or under the wheels of a KenMex or is stolen by some cretin . Your savings from NOT buying full cover will more than pay for a replacement new motorcycle ( ...hey I found the underline thing and it worked )
    Been riding since 1966 and have NEVER bought comprehensive cover for my motorcycles AND have never been in an " at fault "accident which could have used the insurance. either in my car or on the bikes , and have never had reason to regret not buying such comprehensive insurance.
    Life is full of risk , minimize it , deal with it, carry on. Be a no- accident driver.
    For your personal bodily health carry out of country medical and evacuation insurance, that is all you need .
  11. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like to think I strive to be a no accident driver.. I learned to ride a motorcycle on the road in Mogadishu Somalia, where as far as I'm concerned has some of the worst and senseless drivers in the world. I had to ride like I had a target on me and everyone was aiming for me. Gives me very fond memories looking back, a Vespa, Cagiva SXT 125, and a Yami IT465 were the bikes I rode most there.

I can count on both hands the number of times I've been to Mexico and have never driven.. From what I've seen as a cage passenger, Mexico seems to have its share of traffic chaos. My main concern I suppose is theft..
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mexico SOP is to put the bike in the hotel courtyard,lobby or Auto Hotel parking space, locked & guarded lot or tied to your ankle while you camp & sleep-any of these on any night will work. I have parked on the stret in a very few hotels situations where it was said to be safe but not usual to do so. I have been to some out of the way spots ,e.g. on the Caribbean coast where an unattended bike was safe in the parking lot of the lodging even though basically unlocked. The place you stay will be able to tell you whats safe for the most part. During the day best not to leave it unattended in a "stealable location" & unattended". Theft insurance is basically a waste there as EVERYONE does the above.
    FWIW, Mexico is a place where it's fairly common to pass in a curve/hill/mountain pass,etc.. I went over the high mtn between Tecate & Tijuana many years ago(at the time the cuota had just been built beside the libre) and the many truck,car & bus hulks down in the remote areas waaaaaay down below the roadway was astounding! The roadside is solid memorials anywhere there is a space the whole way through that mtn.. Point is, they pass in curves there,on the hills,etc., so a real issue to beware. Many times a large SUV, PU,Mercedes or other vehicle will blow by you when you least expect it! Beware & careful!
  13. Mi Vale Madre

Mi Vale Madre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ada vis global ent inc 951 225 7858 fax 951 225 7857 liability only. Covers your drivers license on all vehicles. Total cost per year 82.99 burt
  14. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any current advice on this topic?
  15. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. For most mex policies to be valid the driver/rider has to have current stateside insurance. And a valid FMM.

Talking typical tourist trips here.
  16. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope , other than it is now officially required to have the liability insurance for third party coverage .
    Shop around, compare prices for the better rate for the length of stay in Mexico you are planning .Consider the price advantages of DL type insurance for the long visit or multiple visits within the longer -period DL- type policy which will cover you for any vehicle you own and bring into Mexico ( one such vehicle per trip , of course).
    The DL policy will include certain benefits , read your policy for conditions . ( bail bond,legal aid ,roadside assist )
    All- risk insurance will be optional and very costly , forget it , ride sober and with care .
    Any insurance will deny payment of claim if happened while driver was drunk, racing , off an official road , or in any way not legally in Mexico .-Then you pay
    Pete S likes this.
  17. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I know with my prior ADA Vis Global driver's license only policies, I was only covered while riding a street registered motorcycle on official (to use Sjoerd's word) roads. I talked with the above company a couple times on those subjects. For instance, I couldn't register my 400XCW when I was a resident of California and therefore wasn't covered. When I changed my residence to Montana and was able to register the same 400 for street use, I was covered by the exact same policy. :hmmmmmI called also to find out what an official road was. At first the agent said paved and on a map. When I pressed and said many roads in Baja are unpaved, he allowed that the roads didn't have to be paved but it did have to be a road shown on a map. I didn't ask what map.