Riding PCX150 W.O.T for 50 miles?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by InlineSkate, Aug 25, 2012.

1. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright so I need to go to the airport and I have two options. The airport is 50 about miles away taking interstate.

I can either take the highway that tops out at 55 mph. Scooter runs comfortably at this speed with no complaints, but it will take an 1 hr 15 mins to get there.

My second option is taking I-75 doing 65 mph in the right lane at this speed we're at WOT or pushing pretty close depending on the road. This would drastically shorten my trip to under an hour.

I realize i'm already taking a risk being the slow guy on the road, but i'm curious if the scooter would be able to handle this distance. I would take a cage, but being a broke college student the scooter was more economical for most commutes.
  2. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the hurry? Enjoy the extra 10-15 minute ride at 55-60mph and have fun while doing so. Many a Honda Scooter have run at wot for hours on end with no ill effects; unless there is a reason I can't see the point in flogging the Scooter. The CDI has a provision for chopping spark and/or fuel if the engine reaches redline in any case.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scooter engines are very mildly tuned and only have half the specific power output of a high performance sportbike motor. This means that your scooter can handle WOT for a long time although if you do it enough it may shorten your engines life some in the long run.

However, I personally don't feel comfortable running WOT for that long so I'd take the longer route.
  4. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The main reason I was going to take I-75 instead was because the highway doesn't run through Flint the city where the airport is located while I-75 does, but I may go ahead and take the longer route anyways.
  5. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    15 WHOLE MINUTES LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!

good god we cant have that!! how would you cope??????

better take i-75!
  6. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent attitude Forde.:clap you're almost ready for a ride in Seattle traffic.:evil
  7. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Take whatever route that you want. The Honda will do just fine on either route.
  8. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are my routes

I-75

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...sNXgjiDEQO2MnQtMPHQ&oq=Bishop&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

M-13

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...O2MnQtMPHQ&oq=Bishop&dirflg=h&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

It is 30 mins longer but I will take M-13 instead. The minimum for I-75 is 60 which the bike will cruise at fine, but I don't really want to be that guy clogging up the 2 lane.

I've taken this thing down to Detroit on the highway 3x 55 all the way down. Forde is right I can handle an 1hr 20 mins to get to Flint.
  9. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents, I would take the longer route unless there is a burning need to get there that much sooner. Your reactions will be better at 55-60, the scooter will have a bit of reserve if not running WOT. Plus the scooter should be a bit more comfortable not running at WOT. I usually avoid interstates on ANY motorcycles if possible so I can enjoy the ride!!! :D
  10. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    My concern wouldn't be for the scooter, it'd be for being the slow guy on the road and having no power in reserve. I'd take the slow route.
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be a problem. I ride my Vino 125 at WOT all the time, have taken 2 900+ mile trips on it at full throttle. It has over 17,000 miles on it, and runs like new. The ONLY way to ride a small scooter is at WOT, otherwise you will not ever get anywhere, or you will be in danger from going too slow. A 125-150cc scooter is just the right size for long distance travel IF you keep the throttle wide open all the time. There's nothing in reserve, but you shouldn't need anything. Just wear a bright orange vest and stay in the right lane.